Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check Control Bulb Module location - HELP!  (Read 2862 times)

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
Check Control Bulb Module location - HELP!
« on: 25 October 2021, 13:53:08 »

Hi all... please could someone point to the location of the Check Control module for the bulbs? also, how to bypass it?

Will post diagrams, in short though, did a nice DRL project on my 2002 Omega 2.6L, the LEDs are 18W each and got a great DRL module from Amazon for $10 that auto-senses the engine On/Off, this worked great. But that DRL module can only support 12W LEDs so I added a relay for the LEDs and no issues there. Then, that relay needs to disconnect when the headlights are on (otherwise I really blind oncoming traffic), and so I added to that relay another one in series (Normally Closed) to turn it off when the right-side bulb gets 12V, or On.
My bad, that 2nd relay has no resistor/diode on its coil.
So.... started the car, DRLs turned on nicely, then I turn the headlights on, DRLs turned off as planned, great so far.

Then I turned the headlights off...

Live and learn. As it turns out unprotected relay coils can send back a spike of hundreds of low-current volts. The right bulb immediately fried. I wired back the right headlight (dipped beam) to regular wiring, replaced the bulb, double-checked the F31 (and others) but still no 12V on the bulb with headlight switch on. Possible the spike messed up that Check Control circuit, where even with no fuse attached I get 0.5V on the fuse's bulb end.
So, decided to take the Control Check Bulb module from my parts car, and here in OOF I found that it is either behind the glove box, or below the A pillar. Hours later... couldn't find the damn thing, on both cars.

So, please, where is the module? or how can it be bypassed (don't need it)? or is it just a matter of cutting the wires going from that CC module to the display unit?

Will add that I have the Haynes schematics, though it does NOT cover 2002 Omegas if there is a different pinouts for the display.

Thank you.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Check Control Bulb Module location - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2021, 15:20:35 »

Haynes should cover it readily enough.

Factory DRLs don't use LEDs and using $10 anything from Amazon etc you should be grateful it worked once ::)

To answer your question, check control is part of the MID/CID. There's a guide covering the early/late differences. Also one for upgrading the basic TID to a MID.

Wiring colours are broadly similar mid/post face-lift  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2021, 15:43:10 »

Doctor, I didn't understand. I have the latest MID being 2002 Omega, but the Haynes shows a seperate module connecting to the display (ie Not integrated to MID).
Either way, how do you disable the check control or at least fool it with regards to that right headlamp?

I believe all original questions remain unanswered.

As for the Amazon bit, maybe I am lucky, fact is it works, and I for now send a fused wire from F31 source side directly to the bulb, obviously with no F31 fuse in place.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2021, 16:36:08 »

OK, I wrote the guide for upgrading the TID to a MID based on my experience doing the upgrade on a 2004 3.2.

That car, being Police spec, didn't have a check control module but once the upgrade was done, it had the brake light check.

The separate check control module lives up behind the glove box iirc.

Personally, I would ditch the cheap Chinesey rubbish and wire in the DRL circuit as per Haynes. That way you get no bulb warnings.

If you insist on the cheap Chinesey rubbish then wire them, via a relay to the fuel pump feed. That way they're going to be on whenever the engine is running. Assuming that is legal where you are.  ;) an alternative would be to run them through the fog light wiring, which is fitted regardless. 4 pin plug in front of the left front wheel also runs the outside temp wiring. The front fog light switch is physically identical to the rear one and can be fitted without having to replace the complete headlight switch. (I believe the fog switches are same as Vectra B etc ;)

Normal Omega wiring has the sidelights on permanently when side or headlights are on.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2021, 17:26:42 »

Thanks for the reply.
I do need exact module location as I couldn't find it, plus this last post of yours I guess does confirm Check Control is a seperate module, as per Haynes.

The Haynes drawing (will attach soon) does show circuitry for each light channel, and that it has a common report line going to the MID - if so, I need to know if Normal for it means 0V or 12V so I can disconnect that wire from the MID and make it happy with 0/12V as needed.

As for the chinese module, I am not a fan of anything chinese but this one works fine. It does need to be directly connected (fused) to the battery as it senses the engine/alternator changes, and then goes on a few seconds after engine is on, and gives you 15 seconds of light after engine is off. We say dont knock it till you try it...

As for the check control module, again, it is busted probably due to the spike. Even with original wiring, good bulb and fuse, it wouldnt let 12V go through it, it is connected in series between fuse and bulb, and I guess the transistor/diodes in it fried and will not pass power. Hence the need to find and replace the module, or bypass it properly all together.

Can you post the link to that ex-plod car you did? I will see if there is a pinout or something I can use there.

Many thanks.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2021, 17:30:37 »

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=102703.0

From memory dropping the wire to ground turned off the warning.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2021, 03:44:19 »

Here is the drawing, I merged pages and erased the irrelevant so as to focus on the Right side headlight (dipped beam) circuitry.
As the F31 is now removed, and the positive connector detached from bulb, the Check Control module is seemingly disconnected for the right dipped beam (between yellow lines in the drawing), yet it still produces the bulb error in the MID. This leads me to believe that CC module is fried and shorts to other (working) inputs.
I will try your suggestion of earthing the pin#17 in the MID in the hopes it will disable the Tail\Headlight bulb notifications.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2021, 06:39:18 »

Norwegian Omegas had automatic headlights as standard. Here the normal dipped lights come on automatically when you start the engine and lightswitch is off. Dashlights stay off and full beam will not work. Then you turn lightswitch to sidelights and headlights go off and sidelights and dashlights come on as normal. In lights on position it works as any other Omega. Wouldnt it be possible to use this wiring for your project? I am sure it is covered in Haynes as it was a factory country specific option.
As for the bulb failure module if it still wont work when every wire is returned to original it lives at the bottom of the a pillar. On lhd cars its clipped to the car sidewall as far up as possible behind the dash. Where the driver side a pillar meets the dash. On rhd cars i dont know. But guess it then will be positioned behind the glovebox.

Edit: bulb failure module location is based on pfl Omegas. Assuming fl is the same.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2021, 06:45:02 by MonzaGSE »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2021, 11:06:35 »

My suggestion was to ditch the aftermarket led rubbish and revert to the factory DRL wiring ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2021, 11:23:41 »

I'd be wary of relying on Haynes for post facelift wiring information. There are some significant differences. For a 2002 2.6, the circuit lines are 2910 to 2930 ish.

The check lamp module (P25) is mounted on the inside of the passenger side wing, high up behind the glove box. Not sure if you can get to it by removing the passenger side air vent, or if the glove box and airbag have to come out too. There appears to be a row of Relays there too - P39, K80 and K46.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2021, 11:56:38 »

Norwegian Omegas had automatic headlights as standard. Here the normal dipped lights come on automatically when you start the engine and lightswitch is off. Dashlights stay off and full beam will not work. Then you turn lightswitch to sidelights and headlights go off and sidelights and dashlights come on as normal. In lights on position it works as any other Omega. Wouldnt it be possible to use this wiring for your project? I am sure it is covered in Haynes as it was a factory country specific option.
As for the bulb failure module if it still wont work when every wire is returned to original it lives at the bottom of the a pillar. On lhd cars its clipped to the car sidewall as far up as possible behind the dash. Where the driver side a pillar meets the dash. On rhd cars i dont know. But guess it then will be positioned behind the glovebox.

Edit: bulb failure module location is based on pfl Omegas. Assuming fl is the same.

Thank you for that.
As for OEM module, it requires more work and to buy the K59 module - I looked for it and found it 10 times more expensive than this Amazon module. Plus as said I put two 18W LED stripes that looks really cool (will upload photo at home), and they make the car much more noticeable and from more angles than the headlights being on during the day. The car really stands out with these LEDs.

As for the CC module location, I have a 2nd car for parts, I stripped off everything behind the glovebox and that A pillar location and couldn't find it. I equiped myself with photos of the module, but maybe 2002 LHD Omega don't have it or it is in a different hidden location. Unless someone has the location/photo, I will cut and earth the wire going to the display's #17 and see what happens.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2021, 12:04:31 »

Thank you for that.
As for OEM module, it requires more work and to buy the K59 module - I looked for it and found it 10 times more expensive than this Amazon module. Plus as said I put two 18W LED stripes that looks really cool (will upload photo at home), and they make the car much more noticeable and from more angles than the headlights being on during the day. The car really stands out with these LEDs.

As for the CC module location, I have a 2nd car for parts, I stripped off everything behind the glovebox and that A pillar location and couldn't find it. I equiped myself with photos of the module, but maybe 2002 LHD Omega don't have it or it is in a different hidden location. Unless someone has the location/photo, I will cut and earth the wire going to the display's #17 and see what happens.
Just saw the post - Thank you.
Re Haynes, I hope someone can link (or PM) a better manual that covers 2002 schematics, had this issue with the ECU pinouts being different than the up-tp-2001 Haynes, I ibtained a russian manual with up-to-2003 schematics but that headlights page is missing there.

I will look again in the parts car in the location you gave, mind you both my Omegas are LHD. I did find a hidden row or 3 relays behind the fuse compartment under the steering wheel, but no CC module there. Will change back to work clothes and dive again into that (dirty) environment of the parts car.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2021, 14:02:13 »

Ahh, sorry, didn't realise you were LHD.

In that case, Monza GSE's location is correct, high up on the inside of the cabin - not far from where your left knee will be if you move the seat all the way forward. Lord knows what you'll have to remove to get to it though.

The MOD's here don't like us talking about pirated software/hardware, even if it's 20 years old and no longer supported.

https://github.com/MalcolmRobb/OmegaBCircuits/raw/master/OmegaB2002.zip
« Last Edit: 26 October 2021, 14:05:09 by LC0112G »

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2021, 19:04:54 »

Ahh, sorry, didn't realise you were LHD.

In that case, Monza GSE's location is correct, high up on the inside of the cabin - not far from where your left knee will be if you move the seat all the way forward. Lord knows what you'll have to remove to get to it though.

Thank you LC0112G !!! I will put the schematics to good use! Also, will continue to research location as you said and I will find it if it's there - even if I have to use angle-grinder/Jigsaw/hammers (dynamite not allowed here).

As you are so resourceful, is there a chance you have schematic/drawing for the car's connectors (e.g. X1,X3 etc.)? for someone like me who does Omega wiring some for the first time, this is the only bit missing when reading the schematics like the one you sent, or Haynes. Oh and BTW I have a repair manual (not Haynes) for the Omega up to 2003 (has Y32SE/Y26SE) if you want, though it is in Russian... (had to snapshot and translate JPGs snippets online for it).

Again, many thanks!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2021, 20:15:12 »

Just wire up the factory DRL set up.

Not my car, but those look horrendous  :-\

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2021, 21:48:54 »

Just wire up the factory DRL set up.

Not my car, but those look horrendous  :-\

Actually many ask me for the link for that setup, module and LEDs, got dozens of compliments. But hey, I appreciate any comment  8)

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 00:48:23 by Eyal2002 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.