Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Matrix hose leak.  (Read 1506 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Matrix hose leak.
« on: 22 March 2022, 11:53:54 »

Ive had a slight leak from the top hose going into the matrix for quite a while.
Ive now got around to trying to do something about it. I took the hose off this morning and noticed the pipe on the matrix looked a bit cruddy and that the hose might not have been pushed fully home (against the ridge on the matrix pipe) before the locking ring had been pulled back.
I cleaned up the pipe and carefully refitted the hose, made sure it was pushed up against the ridge and then pulled the lock ring back, just how I think it should be.
Took it for a short drive, with heater on full, and its still leaking just the same as it had been,
I think the pipe at the matrix is ok, but might need to try and inspect it really closely. Otherwise Im a bit stuck as to what to do next.
Any ideas welcome.
Tia.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix hose leak.
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2022, 12:05:09 »

Scotchbrite the pipe end to clean it up, but any crustiness from the coolant/hard water like deposits, that's what the inside of the matrix will look like...

The hose may need removing to fully inspect/clean the fitting... At which point you may as well replace it.

From a belt and braces perspective, you could be advised to replace both hoses and the matrix as new leaks are indicative on impending failure and the chances are all three things are original. An opportunity for a coolant change as well.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2022, 12:39:21 »

Scotchbrite the pipe end to clean it up, but any crustiness from the coolant/hard water like deposits, that's what the inside of the matrix will look like...

The hose may need removing to fully inspect/clean the fitting... At which point you may as well replace it.

From a belt and braces perspective, you could be advised to replace both hoses and the matrix as new leaks are indicative on impending failure and the chances are all three things are original. An opportunity for a coolant change as well.  ;)

Done that this morning. I think that hose may be hard to source / expensive as its the long version that goes to the aux heating pump under the header tank.
I probably have shorter versions in the shed, but used ones. Might ditch the winter pack setup and convert to shorter hoses just to see if it cures it.
Otherwise jubilee clip a pipe around the matrix pipe if theres a pinhole in it, although that seems a bit of a bodge.
If I can fix the leak, may well run some Fernox around the system and then replace the coolant. As its about due a change anyway.
No intention of replacing the matrix in any case. Would only do that if it leaked coolant into the cabin.
Involves either dismantling half the car, or chopping bits out to avoid dismantling. So will give it a miss.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2022, 12:47:49 »

That slightly missed the point, but I understand the sentiment  :y

Having cut the dash on my '54 and removed the dash on The Barge, I would probably partially pull the dash on the Omega if I had to do it again... A handful of nuts and bolts pull it off the bulkhead a couple of inches.  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2022, 13:23:56 »

Heater matrix only looks like a lot of work. Removing the dash is daft, when some surgical cutting makes the job straightforward.

Aside from fixing leaks, the real reason for replacing it is that it makes a huge difference to how well the heater works. Flushing it is one of those jobs that makes you feel better, but whose actual effects are very small.

And as mentioned, if the pipes are pinholed the rest of the matrix will be in a similar or worse state

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2022, 19:01:47 »

I dont think the pipe is pinholed, but need to check more carefully before being certain.
The heater works very well indeed, which is surprising considering its 20 years / 195000 miles.
Will get back on it tomorrow, so hope for a better diagnosis then.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2022, 19:58:28 »

What about removing the quick-lock connectors and replacing with new clamps? If you're doing the pipes anyway?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2022, 20:15:34 »

Considered that but the matrix pipe is around 12mm diameter and the rubber pipe without the locking connector is quite a bit bigger.
Its fixed with a clamp at the other end to something the same size, so would need some kind of reducer before it reaches the matrix pipe.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2022, 22:45:53 »

Like a jubilee clip...  :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2022, 23:44:38 »

Nah, it would end up all squashed and folded over itself. Probably wouldnt seal.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2022, 09:58:48 »

Did this on my old Elite when had similar issues.

I cut the "quick push connector" off the pipe.Then pushed a nylon pipe joiner with differing sizes each end..think it was called a pipe reducer.... into the end and secured with a jubilee clip.Then found a piece of pipe the best size to fit onto the matric stub end and joined the 2 sections together.

Looks abit Heath Robinson but solved the issue and saved trying to source a NA pipe.

Think the reducer was sold for fish ponds or similar

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2022, 10:02:12 »

Similar to this ...but gives you the idea.284604418974...off fleabay

Just need to get the right sizes or as near as . :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2022, 10:28:47 »

Don't forget the matrix pipe has a crimped clamping ring on it, so a clip either side should be fine ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2022, 11:20:25 »

Considered that but the matrix pipe is around 12mm diameter and the rubber pipe without the locking connector is quite a bit bigger.
Its fixed with a clamp at the other end to something the same size, so would need some kind of reducer before it reaches the matrix pipe.

I hacksawed the two plastic quick release clamps off, and then just pushed the rubber hoses onto the heater matrix pipes and secured them in place with jubilee clips. I even swapped them round on occasions to try and flush out the heather matrix by reversing the flow. So it should be possible without reducers.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2022, 11:34:42 »

I hacksawed the two plastic quick release clamps off, and then just pushed the rubber hoses onto the heater matrix pipes and secured them in place with jubilee clips. I even swapped them round on occasions to try and flush out the heather matrix by reversing the flow. So it should be possible without reducers.

You replaced a perfectly engineered custom hose fitting with a jubilee clip on an Omega? Don't you know that will make every other Omega hose in the world leak out of sympathy? Or osmosis, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or other misapplied jargon.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.