Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OIl leak and blue smoke  (Read 3845 times)

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
Re: OIl leak and blue smoke
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2022, 13:58:39 »

Took the plenum off and a coating of oil in the 6 "tubes" gave everything  a clean and put it all back together. started up and blue smoke but may be from yesterday.

As its a car that I will potentially run into the ground if it is valve siem seals is it worth sticking some wynns stop smoke in there to thicken the oil?

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2022, 14:04:10 »

Sorry lat one I promise

also looked at oil pressure sensor and caked with oil.

so next plan is oil change to 10/40 and then maybe wynns sop smoke treatment and then adios to car I think . sad times  :'(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2022, 14:38:08 »

Was the car was OK a few weeks ago ?(running with no smoke or issues )  BEFORE the oil change and you cleaning the breathers out   :-\
maybe swapping to 10w40 semi synthetic and double checking you have connected the breathers up correctly (we all make mistakes ) may solve the issue . BUT remember it will take a while to burn off oil inside the exhaust  ;) and a new oil pressure sender switch/sensor (about £10)
"stop smoke" thickens the oil but 10w40 is thicker anyway .
how many miles has it done ? has it been well serviced in it's lifetime ? has anything else happened recently  ? ran low on oil recently ?
the hot weather won't have helped if you where driving with p155y 5w30 in 40 degree traffic jams .

so many unknowns and unanswered questions to just to internet diagnose without the full story .
many a car has been scrapped after a flippant miss diagnosis comment by a recovery company driver  :-X

artsoul_no1

• sidcup, kent
    • Omega CD 2.6 v6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2022, 15:25:43 »

it's done 127,000 I've put 45000 on since i got it 9 years ago.

I do mainly local trips 5-10 miles so not the best way of getting it up to temperature and giving it a good run but it's always started first time and run smoothly. I do the usual plugs and filters and oil changes and normally do the oil change myself with vauxhall semi synthetic 10/40. Last year the sump plug gave up and was just spinning as i tightened it up and as car was in for MOT this year and they were doing exhaust I didnt have the sucker machine to pull the oil out so got them to do it. I requested 10/40 but think it was 10/30 (definitely a 30 on there??).

As i was just happy to get the car back and through an MOT i didn't take much notice of it. Been driving around locally last few weeks no trouble but then went on a motorway trip and 20 miles in hit a slight incline oil pressure light came on and off and smoke out the back.

My gut feel is it's linked to the oil so for 20 quid will change the oil and see how that goes.

the real kicker is brand new exhaust and 4 new tyres and it may be kaput

Appreciate everyone's help on here though still the best site around for help and advice.

Bit worried about taking it for a test drive after changing oil or anything or will it just be a bit smokey and run okay without too much damage

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2022, 15:52:19 »

You can get the car warmed up on private land / drive (flat, not too sloped  )rev to get the exhaust hot  :y
go for a test drive once the smoke has lessened hopefully   :)
pick a time and route to avoid traffic ,just in case  ;)

if that goes well i'd stick a bottle of Cataclean in

it may be down to having an oil change at a garage that is not familiar with older cars ,plus the recommended 5w30 on service data etc  and the garage probably don't even stock 10w40 Semi Synthetic Engine Oil ACEA A3

(Vauxhall trade club 10w40 is no longer readily available )

I hope it goes well for you  :) ,As finding a replacement car as comfortable and nice to drive won't be easy ,as many OOFers have found out  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2022, 16:57:11 »

it's done 127,000 I've put 45000 on since i got it 9 years ago.

I do mainly local trips 5-10 miles so not the best way of getting it up to temperature and giving it a good run but it's always started first time and run smoothly. I do the usual plugs and filters and oil changes and normally do the oil change myself with vauxhall semi synthetic 10/40. Last year the sump plug gave up and was just spinning as i tightened it up and as car was in for MOT this year and they were doing exhaust I didnt have the sucker machine to pull the oil out so got them to do it. I requested 10/40 but think it was 10/30 (definitely a 30 on there??).

As i was just happy to get the car back and through an MOT i didn't take much notice of it. Been driving around locally last few weeks no trouble but then went on a motorway trip and 20 miles in hit a slight incline oil pressure light came on and off and smoke out the back.

My gut feel is it's linked to the oil so for 20 quid will change the oil and see how that goes.

the real kicker is brand new exhaust and 4 new tyres and it may be kaput

Appreciate everyone's help on here though still the best site around for help and advice.

Bit worried about taking it for a test drive after changing oil or anything or will it just be a bit smokey and run okay without too much damage
Serviced properly, they will easily do twice that mileage, if not more.

A compression test will give an indication as to the overall health of the engine.
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2022, 14:16:59 »

Does it say on the receipt what oil was put in at oil change ?
all the computers and motor factors say use 5w30 fully synthetic BUT
Omega owners here say 10w40 semi synthetic   ;)
in my experience with 100K mile vauxhalls of the era ,5w30 semi is too p155y .unless they have had good quality oil ,regular service etc .
5w30 will leak from seals, blow past rings ,leak through VSO seals, strip built up deposits from parts of the engine etc
I've had a 1.6 with stuck piston rings AFTER a garage did a flush and used 5w30 oil (to reduce emissions  ::) )
I had to strip that engine ,clean everything and rebuild it  >:(
the high emissions proved to be an injector leaking once rebuilt ,and it passed MOT with virtually zero CO & HCs 

You should check if the blue smoke is actually coming from OUT the exhaust as part of your initial investigation IMHO

Beg to differ. My last Omega had done 140k and I bought it with 50k on and only ever used full fat 5/30, my previous was also on 5/30, no issues.
Hoof'land storeman.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2022, 17:33:52 »

i suppose it depends on how the car was maintained and driven before you got it. a very good engine with very little wear would no doubt be happy for years to come on a thinner oil whereas an unknown history car may well have wear that a thinner oil will overcome and present issues.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2022, 22:57:31 »

The OP's issues may not be down to p155y 5w30
I base my comments on what others have said here on OOF ,plus various Vauxhall forums over the years about 100K vauxhalls and 5w30
plus maintaining all the families Vauxhalls for may years .

It's £18 for 6 litres of 10W40 ACEA A3 (petrol cars) so worth a try IMHO

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2022, 21:24:17 »

Thin oil certainly won't help, but continuous smoke on moderate acceleration/throttle (climbing a hill on a motorway) would suggest piston rings to me.

Try changing the oil for 10W40, and if that works, great. If it doesn't then compression test and leak down test to confirm piston ring state.

The car won't just 'conk out' leaving you stranded unless it gets much, much worse. You'd probably hear nasty mechanical noises for a while before it dies like that.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.