Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 157466 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #630 on: 08 June 2012, 22:15:23 »

Nor would I want to have.
Except those (frequent!) occasions I don't get my way :P ;D
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 08 June 2012, 22:42:41 »

Just gives a shout when you want your teddies back.....   :P   ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 08 June 2012, 23:08:38 »

Entwood, I think you've summed it up nicely :y :y

IMHO there was an error in judgement made by JB. But he's only human ;) However, that is in the past and no amount of bitching and moaning can change that ;)

I look forward to sitting down and talking the normal 'dangle berries' at some meets this year :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 08 June 2012, 23:17:19 »

TB  can you let us all know as you are the daddy is it a club or forum as very different animals
Incorrect ;)

Anyone on the "2 rings" of the Admin Team will confirm its a 100% democracy within the teams. Some decisions are taken purely within the Administrator "ring", some decisions are taken within the Admin Team.

Believe me, I certainly do not have any extra rights/priviledges/standing than the other 3 Administrators. Nor would I want to have.

As to who 'owns' OOF, IMHO (ie, my PERSONAL VIEW) is:
Technically, its owned by the 4 Administrators. They are listed as the owners of the NPO, and have defined roles (even though we cross cover each other in reality). We have the ultimate say on things, and are responsible for it.
However, this is everyone's forum. Outside of dealing with people who won't play with the rules, and making behind the scenes decisions on the running of the club, financials etc etc, the Admin Team (Admins and GMods) are the same as everyone else.  And that includes allowing the Admins/GMods to have their own opinion on subjects.

I have taken the same view on a number of occasions, much to my personal cost. :D

The Omega Owners Forum is simply that.  A forum.  Like any ordered sample of society it requires guidelines (note, not 'rules' but guidelines) and thus we have the forum guidelines at the top of the newbies section.  That the forum has morphed into a substantial chatroom or similar on a (very) diverse variety of subjects is perhaps both a curse and a bonus but it is what we have collectively spawned after all!!

I have always taken the view that rules can be defined as 'for the observance of fools and the guidance of the wise'.  Dunno who birthed that factoid first but they got it spot on in my view.   :y

Yes, OOF has admins and moderators who, combined, collectively formulate the admin team.  We know and appreciate how each of the others tick and as such, know that we have the same concepts/precepts at heart to ensure that we abide by the initial reason for the generation of OOF - the free share of info on the Omega marque to ensure that it keeps plodding on without owners shelling out too much to garages and dealers.

On that point I personally think we have succeeded.   :y

The running costs of the forum (hardware and bandwidth are not free remember) are absorbed in numerous ways by the admin team as a whole - whether by cash sharing, products for sale in the shop, goodwill or whatever - but are NOT passed onto the general membership.  And thats quite deliberate as its a core part of our initial reason for breaking away from VxON in the first place.  But thats a long story and worthy of a chat over a beer or three and not worth bringing back to the surface either here or on VxON!!

We do not charge for membership.  That costs us (obliquely) membership of the VBOA and thus a trade card in our own right.  But does not introduce dual level membership or select/elite/private areas of the forum where only those and such as those who have paid can dwell.  The obvious exception is modchat, however.

This is an open area where the whole admin team - administrators, moderators et al - can openly chat and discuss points and matters of concerns quite openly to each other as and when.  This, as has been learned, has advantages as well as disadvantages.

If the Admin team wish to discuss something seperate from the moderators (KW, JB and until recently, DLK) then we must take the matter to PM otherwise it is openly viewable by all in the admin team.  And that would be self defeating.

And agreement takes time, unfortunately.  And again, we are revisiting a well discussed historic matter that serves no great purpose for OOF's future, in my opinion.  Sad but true.   :'(  As Mrs T is famous for saying, 'The lady is not for turning'.  In other words, do not change your mind and change historic descisions.  Theres no future in it.  Again, MY opinion.  Others may feel differently, however.

As to 'forum or club'.  Its obviously a forum by definition of any constitution, as no fees are paid, no AGM's are held, no elections for figurehead posts or the like take place.  It is 'owned' by the administrators, simple as. 

Regarding a line or three I read ages ago about voting, elected representatives as admins for a preset period and such. Not going to happen.

What you see is what you get.  If you want to join in, feel free.  If you disagree with whats happening then feel free to voice your displeasure, have a rant and clear your custard.  Bottom line is that if the admin team dont agree with your viewpoint then you simply do not have a strong enough argument composed.   ;D 

Whilst I am gently rambling on, I think again about the admin team and Mrs T.  Once a descision is made, be that good or bad by any individual of the team (in an admin concept, not as an individual) then that descision is supported openly on the forum by the admin team.  Whether it is agreed privately amongst us is quite another matter but on forum, said descision is supported.  And thats how any layered organisation MUST work, be that business, armed forced or simply mum and dad against a group of rebelious offspring.  Its how order is maintained after all, is it not??   ???

Blethering a tad now but in closing, would like to say that the true OOF is best represnted at meets where that old chestnut of emoticons/lack of eye contact is removed and it is so easy to see the tone and inflection of comments in real time rather than as cold text on a screen some time after which then makes you feel you want to jump in with both feet, keyboard flying, attempting to right the percieved transgressions in double quick time - or else!!   ;D

albitz

« Reply #634 on: 08 June 2012, 23:29:10 »

U still alive u old beggar ;D ;D

....and kicking mate :y

Have missed u so much, but just have'nt had the time lately, u still using the k-y gel ::)

Yes. I'm still in clink. ;D

Doesnt surprise me. ::) :P

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 08 June 2012, 23:32:18 »

Even the Great Rabbie Burns coudnae' a said it better H :y

A Man's A Man for A' That.

Is there for honest poverty
That hings his head, an a' that?
The coward slave, we pass him by -
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an a' that,
Our toils obscure, an a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man's a man for a' that.
For a' that, an a' that.
Their tinsel show, an a' that,
The honest man, tho e'er sae poor,
Is king o men for a' that.

Ye see you birkie ca'd 'a lord,'
What struts, an stares, an a' that?
Tho hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a cuif for a' that.
For a' that, an a' that,
His ribband, star, an a' that,
The man o independent mind,
He looks an laughs at a' that.

A prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an a' that!
But an honest man's aboon his might -
Guid faith, he mauna fa' that!
For a' that, an a' that,
Their dignities, an a' that,
The pith o sense an pride o worth.
Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may
[As come it will for a' that],
That Sense and Worth o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree an a' that.
For a' that, an a' that,
It's comin yet for a' that,
That man to man, the world, o'er
Shall brithers be for a' that.

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

feeutfo

« Reply #636 on: 09 June 2012, 00:09:43 »

This is an open area where the whole admin team - administrators, moderators et al - can openly chat and discuss points and matters of concerns quite openly to each other as and when.  This, as has been learned, has advantages as well as disadvantages.

Crystal balls in short supply afaik, so learning is all we have. We all make mistakes, as part of learning. What matters is how we respond to those mistakes.  :)

...I'm told ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 09 June 2012, 01:39:48 »

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that.

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

Certainly not Monkey Hanger Speak, but I agree with what he says, to be honest is it not time to put this all to bed and move on.... :D :D
TBH our admin and Moderators do a fantastic job and must have the patients of a saint cos reading this it I was them some members would be zapped ::) Can we just live and let live and move on? If you do not like what you see then why are you here?
And for those who are thinking otherwise, I can not got to the lakes Meet for work reasons, otherwise Miss vamps and myself would be there, if you are in any doubt then i will happily give you my managers phone number..... :) :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 09 June 2012, 10:46:01 »

Just gives a shout when you want your teddies back.....   :P   ;D
I had a bad night's sleep without them last night. If I promise to be a good boy, will Highlander let me have them back please.

our admin and Moderators do a fantastic job and must have the patients of a saint
I'm glad I can fool you ;) :P ;D
Grumpy old man

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 09 June 2012, 12:28:10 »

I would love to attend a Meet and put to bed some of the misconceptions gained dare I say it, 'on both sides of the coin', which naturally tend to spring up when the only real contact is through a keyboard & those bloody emoticons, ;D especially in such a beautiful location as the Lakes, but this bag of bones that carries me around is not up to the task anymore sadly, it is a very involved exercise doing the 80miles (ish) round trip to see my Consultant these days. I will be there in Spirit, though sadly not the grain variety! ;) & look forward to seeing the assorted pics & comments on your return  after having had brilliant weather & a midgy free weekend ::) :y
I think most of us would agree that there's not a lot wrong with the OOF that can't be fixed if a bit more thought went into the typing finger before it pressed 'Post'  :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 09 June 2012, 12:37:19 »

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that.

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

Certainly not Monkey Hanger Speak, but I agree with what he says, to be honest is it not time to put this all to bed and move on.... :D :D
TBH our admin and Moderators do a fantastic job and must have the patients of a saint cos reading this it I was them some members would be zapped ::) Can we just live and let live and move on? If you do not like what you see then why are you here?
And for those who are thinking otherwise, I can not got to the lakes Meet for work reasons, otherwise Miss vamps and myself would be there, if you are in any doubt then i will happily give you my managers phone number..... :) :)

Agreed, Mr Vamps. :y. I would make an excellent Mod/Admin man myself. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: 09 June 2012, 12:41:45 »

I would love to attend a Meet and put to bed some of the misconceptions gained dare I say it, 'on both sides of the coin', which naturally tend to spring up when the only real contact is through a keyboard & those bloody emoticons, ;D especially in such a beautiful location as the Lakes, but this bag of bones that carries me around is not up to the task anymore sadly, it is a very involved exercise doing the 80miles (ish) round trip to see my Consultant these days. I will be there in Spirit, though sadly not the grain variety! ;) & look forward to seeing the assorted pics & comments on your return  after having had brilliant weather & a midgy free weekend ::) :y
I think most of us would agree that there's not a lot wrong with the OOF that can't be fixed if a bit more thought went into the typing finger before it pressed 'Post'  :y

All the very best, Phil. Chin up. :y

omega3000

« Reply #642 on: 09 June 2012, 12:43:29 »

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that.

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

For a' that, an a' that,

Agreed, Mr Vamps. :y. I would make an excellent Mod/Admin man myself. :)

How many posts to become a moderator  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: 09 June 2012, 12:45:43 »

Posts irrelevant, its the choice of the admins who to make mods.

omega3000

« Reply #644 on: 09 June 2012, 12:47:03 »

Posts irrelevant, its the choice of the admins who to make mods.
:y
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.