Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More scams  (Read 1825 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
More scams
« on: 12 July 2023, 21:14:54 »

I was phoned earlier by 'Chris from O2' who was informing me that O2 were reducing by mobile phone bill (my phone is actually by O2) by 40% .... I didn't need to disclose any personal info ... all I needed to do was to tell him what the code was that he was about to text me. He did send me a text that was headed O2 UK and a 6 digit number. It included all the relevant phrases that a real message would have included.
I said that I'd no way of verifying that he was infact Chris from O2 and it smelt a bit fishy ..... but he carried on with his spiel ... even phoned me back after 'we got cut off' and suggested that I could Google the number he rang on to prove he was from O2.
I fvcked him off & did google the 0208 number ....  various messages about it  being a scam.

So ..... he did send me a ''code number.'' I'm curious as to how this code would have enabled him to scam me  :-\ :-\ :-\

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: More scams
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2023, 21:25:41 »

I want to boil these bastards in EP90
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2023, 21:41:16 »

I was phoned earlier by 'Chris from O2' who was informing me that O2 were reducing by mobile phone bill (my phone is actually by O2) by 40% .... I didn't need to disclose any personal info ... all I needed to do was to tell him what the code was that he was about to text me. He did send me a text that was headed O2 UK and a 6 digit number. It included all the relevant phrases that a real message would have included.
I said that I'd no way of verifying that he was infact Chris from O2 and it smelt a bit fishy ..... but he carried on with his spiel ... even phoned me back after 'we got cut off' and suggested that I could Google the number he rang on to prove he was from O2.
I fvcked him off & did google the 0208 number ....  various messages about it  being a scam.

So ..... he did send me a ''code number.'' I'm curious as to how this code would have enabled him to scam me  :-\ :-\ :-\
The code wasn't from him, it was from O2. He had obviously got into your account and asked O2 to change something, and O2 sent a one time passcode (OTP) to the number they hold for your account, to make sure it was you. If you had given him the code, he would have probably ordered a shiny new phone.
Change your password.
Diesel till I die

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2023, 21:43:32 »

Had a few calls from a supposedly Manchester number about claiming for diesel car emission compensation , wifey at the other end couldn't have been more Indian if she'd tried   >:(

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2023, 21:45:44 »

I just don't seem to get these calls any more. After previous conversations, they've probably removed me from their suckers lists  ;D
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2023, 22:08:35 »

The code wasn't from him, it was from O2. He had obviously got into your account and asked O2 to change something, and O2 sent a one time passcode (OTP) to the number they hold for your account, to make sure it was you. If you had given him the code, he would have probably ordered a shiny new phone.
Change your password.

I phoned O2 myself ..... & no, they didn't send it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2023, 22:10:54 »

Had a few calls from a supposedly Manchester number about claiming for diesel car emission compensation , wifey at the other end couldn't have been more Indian if she'd tried   >:(

I've had 2 of these recently ..... the 1st one I just said I wasn't interested ... the 2nd, I asked how they knew I had a diseasal, apparently I'd added my name to a list somewhere   :-\, she asked why I was being rude just as I was putting the phone down. ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2023, 22:11:24 »

Change your password.

I phoned O2 myself ..... & no, they didn't send it
The person that told you that would have no idea, it is generated automatically and checked automatically as part of the login process. Change your password.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2023, 22:12:34 »

Or.......ring the nice man who sent you the code and give it to him  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2023, 22:18:42 »

When I paid for wifey's car a couple of weeks ago, initially the payment was declined. I then got a text asking if it was me trying to make the payment Y/N?
I replied yes and received a reply saying I would receive another text from number xxxxxx with a six digit passcode. I had to enter this into the payment page on my banking app, which I did and it went through.
No human was involved in this process and no human working in customer services would be able to tell me about whether I was sent an OTP or not.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2023, 22:21:22 »

Change your password.

Done .....

I think you might be onto something as the text that I have just generated is exactly the same as the text that 'Chris' generated ...  :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2023, 22:22:05 »

Change your password.

Done .....

I think you might be onto something as the text that I have just generated is exactly the same as the text that 'Chris' generated ...  :-\
Listen to your uncle Stemo   ;D
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2023, 22:25:31 »

Listen to your uncle Stemo   ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2023, 20:45:12 »

I had an almost identical call. He even knew my name, but it stank. the conversation went no further
As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true . . .
Just why would a current supplier volunteer to reduce their price by 40%?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2023, 22:20:16 »

I had an almost identical call. He even knew my name, but it stank. the conversation went no further
As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true . . .
Just why would a current supplier volunteer to reduce their price by 40%?

and even if they would, why would they phone you to tell you?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.