Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall 0mega  (Read 5214 times)

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
Vauxhall 0mega
« on: 28 January 2012, 20:17:27 »

Does any person on this forum think that the omega is becoming an enthusiast car.

And not for every day use.

The omega is getting old now and might not appeal to most people.

just for the summer perhaps ?

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall 0mega
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2012, 20:39:38 »

Not at all.

Use mine every day and there's no reason I shouldn't, it's fully equipped, reliable and a better drive than most cars around.

Age shouldn't put you off.  My parents have two 15+ year old E280 W124's, my dad uses his every day.
Budget tyres, false economy.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2012, 21:40:06 »

In some ways I agree with the OP, my V6 barely gets used this time of year, whereas i'm really not to fussed about the other car getting a good coating of salt, mud etc.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2012, 21:47:07 »

Hi Michael,

When you say ''enthusiasts car'', are you saying that you think Omegas are becoming classics or that they're only liked by a certain minority?

I personally think it's becoming a classic. Obviously, it's easy to proclaim that on a Forum for owners of the aforementioned  ::) but when you take in to consideration the power, the engine and the comfort, I can't help thinking it's on it's way to being in the hall of fame, especially with numbers dwindling due to it's age  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2012, 21:55:29 »

Mine is the "regular" vehicle in the houshold, and is in full time use, as well as being the tow car for our many weekends away in the "tin tent".

The ONLY cloud on the horizon at the moment is age related (to the car before anyone makes a smart comment) :)  This year we have had to pay a smallish premium on our European Breakdown Insurance for the French Holiday.

This will go up steadily each year as the car is now over 10 years old, once it reaches 15 years our "normal" travel insurers will refuse to cover it.

That is why we got rid of the Granada and the last Omega. This one will be different, at the relevant time I will find someone who will cover an older vehicle ... I know they must exist .. just need to find one .. :)

Even if it does become a "classic", cars exist to be used not sat in a garage.. IMHO

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2012, 21:55:54 »

Hi Michael,

When you say ''enthusiasts car'', are you saying that you think Omegas are becoming classics or that they're only liked by a certain minority?

I personally think it's becoming a classic. Obviously, it's easy to proclaim that on a Forum for owners of the aforementioned  ::) but when you take in to consideration the power, the engine and the comfort, I can't help thinking it's on it's way to being in the hall of fame, especially with numbers dwindling due to Twiglet buying them all up and storing them at his gaff  :y

Fixed that for you Webby. :y ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2012, 22:00:14 »

Hi Michael,

I personally think it's becoming a classic. Obviously, it's easy to proclaim that on a Forum for owners of the aforementioned  ::) but when you take in to consideration the power, the engine and the comfort, I can't help thinking it's on it's way to being in the hall of fame, especially with numbers dwindling due to Twiglet buying them all up and storing them at his gaff  :y

....and then selling them on for thousands  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Omega_Dan

« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2012, 22:01:49 »

I think its more down to the owner than the car ;)

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2012, 22:01:58 »

Hi Michael,

....and then selling them on to the local scrappy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fixed that for you Webby. :y ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2012, 22:02:47 »

Hi Michael,

....and then selling them on to the local scrappy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fixed that for you Webby. :y ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2012, 22:21:53 »

I don't think it's a collectors item as such, but those that know them also know there is nothing available to replace it for the money. Otherwise it would be history. Rusty arches, oil and water leaks, bush and handling problems see mamy a "get rid" sale.

Replace the engine with, let's say, an ls1 for arguments sake. Or whatever. We're left with rust and chassis issues. Any car would suffer wrotten bushes in a similar time scale.

I certainly think vx cocked up big time dropping the omega. Economic reasons?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2012, 22:23:28 »

I use mine as the round town car and for station parking - does not do it justice and expensive on fuel on this basis but it is reliable and looks good (a bit like me then) and it has all the toys. Keep thinking I will change it for something more economical but not a lot of point as just doing around 12 miles a day, being left at station overnight or even for several days and does not matter too much about the occasional prat catching it with a car door when parked next to you.

Something just makes me want to keep running it - masochistic tendency, sad b*****d maybe?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2012, 22:31:54 »

I use mine as the round town car and for station parking - does not do it justice and expensive on fuel on this basis but it is reliable and looks good (a bit like me then) and it has all the toys. Keep thinking I will change it for something more economical but not a lot of point as just doing around 12 miles a day, being left at station overnight or even for several days and does not matter too much about the occasional prat catching it with a car door when parked next to you.

Something just makes me want to keep running it - masochistic tendency, sad b*****d maybe?
Yes, I'm so used to LPG now I'd forgotten that one.  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2012, 22:46:16 »

I don't think it's a collectors item as such, but those that know them also know there is nothing available to replace it for the money. Otherwise it would be history. Rusty arches, oil and water leaks, bush and handling problems see mamy a "get rid" sale.

Replace the engine with, let's say, an ls1 for arguments sake. Or whatever. We're left with rust and chassis issues. Any car would suffer wrotten bushes in a similar time scale.

I certainly think vx cocked up big time dropping the omega. Economic reasons?

They don't cock up much though, do they?  :-X :-X :-X >:( >:( >:(

The thing is the Omega still looks modern now. Yes, it's never been an attention grabber and I've heard it even called ''forgettable''  >:( but surely the ride and the engine warranted keeping it in production.

Would absolutely love them to bring the model back  :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2012, 22:55:24 »

I certainly think vx cocked up big time dropping the Senator. Economic reasons?

I agree.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

They tried to replace 2 cars with one .................

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2012, 23:02:16 »

.... is age related (to the car before anyone makes a smart comment) :)
The thought hadn't crossed our mind till you mentioned it  ::) ::) ::) ::)

This year we have had to pay a smallish premium on our European Breakdown Insurance for the French Holiday.

This will go up steadily each year as the car is now over 10 years old, once it reaches 15 years our "normal" travel insurers will refuse to cover it.  .......
I've winged it the last few years as I refuse to be held to ransom over breakdown cover, Red Pennant wanted over £200 for a fortnights cover. I trust good service before we go & a crank sensor in the boot.  :y :y :y

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2012, 23:04:42 »

I think the Omega is bought by people after a certain type of car for very little. It's a bit of a barge, well kitted with most of the mod cons you get now, rear wheel drive and you can still get a whacking great V6 in it. For a lot of people, that is great value but for others it's everything to put them off because it's not new or front wheel drive which they feel safer with or cheap to run.

All the more for us I say. I'm after an LSD  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2012, 23:17:07 »

I'm after an LSD  ;D

Mmmm? A 4 pot with a LSD ............... hardly a combination for making 11's  ::) ::) ::)  :y :y

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2012, 23:20:25 »

I'm after an LSD  ;D

Mmmm? A 4 pot with a LSD ............... hardly a combination for making 11's  ::) ::) ::)  :y :y

It's not, but I can damn well try!  ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2012, 23:25:12 »

I think the Omega is bought by people after a certain type of car for very little. It's a bit of a barge, well kitted with most of the mod cons you get now, rear wheel drive and you can still get a whacking great V6 in it. For a lot of people, that is great value but for others it's everything to put them off because it's not new or front wheel drive which they feel safer with or cheap to run.

All the more for us I say. I'm after an LSD  ;D

I am not so sure about that, called into a couple of garages today but nothing that swmbo fancied, she will only now drive an auto and wants something big................what to get, don't want 'Posh'   I guess we will get another Omega. I like them although, with the exception of a year, I have not driven them Omega daily since 2002 swmbo has always used them...... :) :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2012, 23:30:05 »

I'm after an LSD  ;D

If truth be known, an auto box mated to a 3.0 doesn't do lines of rubber either  ;) ;) ;) Not that I ever try.   ::) ::) ::)

I do like to laugh at the lads though in the euro Focus/Astra sh1te boxes (to coin a phrase) that pull up in the outside lane of 2 at the traffic light Grande Prix and try to be first off. And I can't help but take them on!  ::) ::) ::) ::) Best if you let them get a nose ahead before you bury the loud pedal & make eye contact as you pull away from them.  ;) ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2012, 23:35:58 »

I'm after an LSD  ;D

If truth be known, an auto box mated to a 3.0 doesn't do lines of rubber either  ;) ;) ;) Not that I ever try.   ::) ::) ::)

I do like to laugh at the lads though in the euro Focus/Astra sh1te boxes (to coin a phrase) that pull up in the outside lane of 2 at the traffic light Grande Prix and try to be first off. And I can't help but take them on::) ::) ::) ::) Best if you let them get a nose ahead before you bury the loud pedal & make eye contact as you pull away from them.  ;) ;)

You are old enough to know better, love it...... :D :D :D

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 28 January 2012, 23:37:56 »

I'm after an LSD  ;D

I do like to laugh at the lads though in the euro Focus/Astra sh1te boxes (to coin a phrase) that pull up in the outside lane of 2 at the traffic light Grande Prix and try to be first off. And I can't help but take them on!  ::) ::) ::) ::) Best if you let them get a nose ahead before you bury the loud pedal & make eye contact as you pull away from them.  ;) ;)
Yep, that's my favourite, just hold station next to them while watching them through the side window, a little smile, and give it the rest. Byebye. :) very childish ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 January 2012, 23:38:34 »

You are old enough to know better,

Sorry Dad!  ::) ;)

love it...... :D :D :D

You have to ........... don't you!  ;D ;D ;D

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 January 2012, 23:42:01 »

There is something quite satisfying about just letting them sit there, bouncing to 'da bangin choons innit', just knocking the sport button and switching to petrol. Bye bye little chav in a Corsa!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2012, 23:56:28 »

There is something quite satisfying about just letting them sit there, bouncing to 'da bangin choons innit', just knocking the sport button and switching to petrol. Bye bye little chav in a Corsa!

Why ?? Mine behaves exactly the same way on LPG or petrol .. if it doesn't surely there is something wrong with the LPG map ??  :(

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 January 2012, 00:02:18 »

Why ?? Mine behaves exactly the same way on LPG or petrol .. if it doesn't surely there is something wrong with the LPG map ??  :(

Mine makes considerably less power and torque on gas than petrol. It's quite nice to feel the extra kick I know it's hiding every now and then! It's had the fuel pressure played with and a fair few other things done so it makes 181bhp and 160ft/lbs of torque on petrol but only just touches 160bhp and 130ft/lbs torque on gas.

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #27 on: 29 January 2012, 00:10:33 »

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one playing Santa Pod at the lights - even in my bus it gets most of them.

Nearly had one "Richard cranium" in a bollard the other day. Two lanes to one situ, if you know what i mean. He should have just turned right when he came up beside me  ;). Then he had the nerve to be waving at me in my mirror as if it was my fault.... tut tut  ::)

Left foot on break works very well.
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 January 2012, 00:35:31 »

It may be childish, but to see the look of horror when you leave these little "Sh1te boxes" behind, is such a thrill. Even more so when they have the teeny bopper girly sitting next to them ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
AKA - Mr Bracket

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 January 2012, 00:45:15 »

Hahaha I am guilty of this every 5 minutes so often  ;D

I did get one of those weird situs once where I was racing a VW Passat and we were completely equal, up to the point we had to merge lanes.... and as I was on the inside, which was the one to get narrower..... and I chickened out  :'(

But hey, I still love my baby  :y :y :y :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 January 2012, 01:00:19 »

The other rather fun one to do is knock it into neutral and give it a few gentle revs. This is like saying I want to play, get ready big boy. Just as the lights go to amber, knock it back to drive and watch as the chav in the car next door tightens his grip on the gear stick. As the lights go green, watch in awe as he thunders off as fast as his 1.0 3 pot will carry him whist you gently pull away watching him making a tit of himself. Do it again at the next set of lights. He probably won't play ball this time so as soon as it goes green, weld your foot to the carpet. The roar if he's got his windows down will probably be enough to make him stall and look like a prat again.

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 January 2012, 09:09:11 »

Thanks guys for your interesting replys on this topic

albitz

« Reply #32 on: 29 January 2012, 09:34:29 »

I thought I had stumbled into the veyron owners forum for a minute. ::) Omegas are hardly a guided missile are they ?  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 January 2012, 09:40:06 »

....... Omegas are hardly a guided missile are they ?  ;D

No ........ but once wound up, they go pretty well!  :y :y :y 

I have to say I was impressed with the acceleration of the Audi A4? 2.0 diesel something or other in front of me as we joining the motorway the other night. I think he was trying to lose me because I had been a bit close on the roundabout just beforehand. He disappeared in my mirrors at about 95 though  ::) ::) ::)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 January 2012, 10:40:54 »

Sounds like Vicky Pollard land on this thread. All this talk about racing!  Any of you guys own Burberry? ;D
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #35 on: 29 January 2012, 17:20:13 »

Sounds like Vicky Pollard land on this thread. All this talk about racing!  Any of you guys own a Blackberry? ;D

Fixed that for you D ...like..ermmm..like..yeh..like..but..like...
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 January 2012, 17:35:19 »

It may be childish, but to see the look of horror when you leave these little "Sh1te boxes" behind, is such a thrill. Even more so when they have the teeny bopper girly sitting next to them ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Even funnier if you do it when towing the caravan :-X ::) ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 January 2012, 17:53:18 »

Sounds like Vicky Pollard land on this thread. All this talk about racing!  Any of you guys own a Blackberry? ;D

Fixed that for you D ...like..ermmm..like..yeh..like..but..like...

It's a Blueberry I'll have you know. And in all fairness, I drive like Miss Daisy 99% of the time, can't afford the petrol or gas!  :'(

deltaman

• South Lincolnshire
    • 03 omega CD 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 January 2012, 18:12:58 »

Many years ago I had an american ford chateau, which looked like a transit van with windows, the big difference was that it had an eight litre engine, it was fitted with an auto box which made it wonderfull at the traffic lights, we had many a laugh with that vehicle, did'nt like the fuel consumption much though, 8mpg. The looks on faces as that went away was tremendous.

Never mind it was on my business then so that helped, the speedo only read up to 85mph, but to see it go past that and start to go round the face again was good.

Happy memory's of years gone by.

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 January 2012, 18:17:16 »

Many years ago I had an american ford chateau, which looked like a transit van with windows, the big difference was that it had an eight litre engine, it was fitted with an auto box which made it wonderfull at the traffic lights, we had many a laugh with that vehicle, did'nt like the fuel consumption much though, 8mpg. The looks on faces as that went away was tremendous.

Never mind it was on my business then so that helped, the speedo only read up to 85mph, but to see it go past that and start to go round the face again was good.

Happy memory's of years gone by.

"Do you know how fast you were going sir? You were way over the limit"
"I was only doing 20!  :D"

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #40 on: 29 January 2012, 19:05:12 »

i've been playing the "upset the boy racer" game since i got my first sennie A   , in the late 80's....   still love it......    smug bastard grin on my face every time..... 

for the breakdown cover ,   I have my insurance through bell direct,  shortly moving to admiral...  (to merge  cover with the astra we bought our daughter)    and i have break down cover though that.... ( I think it's green flag??)  , but it includes a period of european cover......  with no premium on car age for a Y reg, so presume it's not an issue.... 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.