Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery v8  (Read 6387 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Discovery v8
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2012, 21:03:09 »

Well, that's it then, seems I'm now the proud owner of a disco.lets hope the clutch is the reason there's no drive ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

deltaman

• South Lincolnshire
    • 03 omega CD 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2012, 12:29:39 »

Had one of these for many years, had very little trouble with it, we towed the caravan all over France with it, when towing it would give about 17 mpg even if driven hard down the auto route, around town it was a bit heavy 14mpg, but a great vehicle.

I wish i had never parted with it, still see it about locally, the present owner loves it. It was comfortable, and we always felt safe in it, it would go well for a big heavy vehicle, never had a major issue with it only running repairs like tyres and exhaust, and parts are cheap.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2012, 13:55:41 »

Had one of these for many years, had very little trouble with it, we towed the caravan all over France with it, when towing it would give about 17 mpg even if driven hard down the auto route, around town it was a bit heavy 14mpg, but a great vehicle.

I wish i had never parted with it, still see it about locally, the present owner loves it. It was comfortable, and we always felt safe in it, it would go well for a big heavy vehicle, never had a major issue with it only running repairs like tyres and exhaust, and parts are cheap.

Thanks for that,nice to hear some good comments about Landies :y,got to investigate the problem next week once I've paid for it ::)
other rides 

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2012, 10:21:02 »

I have a Disco 1 V8 and a Disco II TD5.

The V8 is much, much better - even than the TD5.

Actually looking for a Disco II V8 non-runner at the moment, so I can sell the TD on. So let me know if it falls through for whatever reason.

V8 you're looking at anything up to 19mpg. Bizarrely, the economy improves the heavier it gets. Recently did home to Liverpool to collect a Bentley on the trailer. Managed 18mpg ( at well over 5 tonnes ) on the way home and only 16 getting down there.

just let me know if you have any other problems....

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2012, 11:51:38 »

Actually looking for a Disco II V8 non-runner at the moment, so I can sell the TD on. So let me know if it falls through for whatever reason.

V8 you're looking at anything up to 19mpg. Bizarrely, the economy improves the heavier it gets. Recently did home to Liverpool to collect a Bentley on the trailer. Managed 18mpg ( at well over 5 tonnes ) on the way home and only 16 getting down there.

It turns out that the one I've bought has a problem with the gearbox out put shaft into transfer case being stripped,quite common according to the Landy man I spoke to :'(
other rides 

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2012, 12:14:45 »

that's actually very unusual - you did say Discovery II didn't you ?

earlier cars - i.e. Disco I have pretty much all had this at one time or another, but it was ostensibly fixed before Disco II.

Transmission rebuild featuring new mainshaft and the later modified transfer box input gear with the extra oil hole.

......and if you juat get a secondhand transmission, I'm after a transfer box to rebuild.

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • 99,3.0 MV6 Est Ex Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2012, 12:17:29 »

It turns out that the one I've bought has a problem with the gearbox out put shaft into transfer case being stripped,quite common according to the Landy man I spoke to :'(

thats why 90% of v8 discos etc had auto boxes because the v8s torque distroys the clutch & output shafts  :(, ive got a 90H 200tdi tuned to hell & i only get 9mpg!! does spin all 4 tyres in 1st & 2nd on a damp road  ;D
another main prob with the airride system is the plastic A adjusters on the leveller system to sensor on the trailing arms, they snap dropping truck on its arse or to one side, normally when off roading & a stick will easyily snap it easy to sort wedge it between 2 peices of tin & nutbolt together so it calnt snap,
also all discos are the same for rott unless u get a good one! remove boot carpet check floor solid, seatbelt front mounts under sill, body mounts, front hockystick bushes & where they bolt to front axle mudtrap & rott threw, check all heater functions because if heater motor packs up nightmare to fix (save its life if not needed turn it off!) & main one grease all prop joints check rear donut on 3bolt diff/prop as they perrish & cause a major vibration, & front swivle hubs all dry no leaks,
you can make your airbags last longer with foam type tyre shine to presurve the rubber jack airsystem to max & spray all over them..

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2012, 12:21:11 »

thats why 90% of v8 discos etc had auto boxes because the v8s torque distroys the clutch & output shafts  :(, ive got a 90H 200tdi tuned to hell & i only get 9mpg!! does spin all 4 tyres in 1st & 2nd on a damp road  ;D
another main prob with the airride system is the plastic A adjusters on the leveller system to sensor on the trailing arms, they snap dropping truck on its arse or to one side, normally when off roading & a stick will easyily snap it easy to sort wedge it between 2 peices of tin & nutbolt together so it calnt snap,
also all discos are the same for rott unless u get a good one! remove boot carpet check floor solid, seatbelt front mounts under sill, body mounts, front hockystick bushes & where they bolt to front axle mudtrap & rott threw, check all heater functions because if heater motor packs up nightmare to fix (save its life if not needed turn it off!) & main one grease all prop joints check rear donut on 3bolt diff/prop as they perrish & cause a major vibration, & front swivle hubs all dry no leaks,
you can make your airbags last longer with foam type tyre shine to presurve the rubber jack airsystem to max & spray all over them..

The one I've bought seems good with no faults other than it won't bloody drive lol
other rides 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2012, 20:52:45 »

Result :y,turns out that my lack of drive with the disco is a knackered front diff,does anyone know if a 24 spline 300Tdi diff is the same as my v8 one,I know where theres one cheap but not sure if they are the same,the axle is physically different but wondering if I may get away with it
other rides 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2012, 22:29:37 »

Result :y,turns out that my lack of drive with the disco is a knackered front diff,does anyone know if a 24 spline 300Tdi diff is the same as my v8 one,I know where theres one cheap but not sure if they are the same,the axle is physically different but wondering if I may get away with it

Why does it not drive from the rear diff..... :-\ :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2012, 23:24:01 »

No centre diff lock on the disco 2,it has TC instead,apparently the diff lock is still in the transfer case but not plumbed in ???
other rides 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2012, 00:21:17 »

No centre diff lock on the disco 2,it has TC instead,apparently the diff lock is still in the transfer case but not plumbed in ???

How stupid is that for a 4x4, the old series 3 often broke a drive shaft, but you simply put it in 4wd if you broke a rear one and drove home with front wheel drive, and potentially visa versa..... :) :) :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2012, 00:40:07 »

How stupid is that for a 4x4, the old series 3 often broke a drive shaft, but you simply put it in 4wd if you broke a rear one and drove home with front wheel drive, and potentially visa versa..... :) :) :)

Tell me about it, would have saved me having to tow it back with my poor old Merc although it did well pulling 2 tons :D
other rides 

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • 99,3.0 MV6 Est Ex Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2012, 12:39:42 »

300tdi 24spline should be the same except gear ratios as they should run the same running gear only the rear somtimes a sailsbury axle but they on the V8 defenders...??

if i can rem its only the 200 & 300 auto v8s that had a different diff ratio unsure on later kit... to many elec gizmos to break up!

but from what i can rem the v8s do have different ratios on everything transfur box & axles (but only on the autos.. stand corrected)

you may have to count teeth on the crownwheel & check before you fit & distroy the transfur box....

im actually after a 200tdi front axle 10spline as i got a truck with a distroyed cv joint!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2012, 12:49:48 »

300tdi 24spline should be the same except gear ratios as they should run the same running gear only the rear somtimes a sailsbury axle but they on the V8 defenders...??

if i can rem its only the 200 & 300 auto v8s that had a different diff ratio unsure on later kit... to many elec gizmos to break up!

but from what i can rem the v8s do have different ratios on everything transfur box & axles (but only on the autos.. stand corrected)

you may have to count teeth on the crownwheel & check before you fit & distroy the transfur box....

im actually after a 200tdi front axle 10spline as i got a truck with a distroyed cv joint!

I know a man who will have one of those although he is here in Cornwall so carriage would be steep.
I've found the correct diff for mine now so hopefully will have it up and running by the weekend :y

other rides 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.