Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lotus omega v8 conversion  (Read 2976 times)

bloodwheel

• sweden
    • lexus gs300
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus omega v8 conversion
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2023, 20:00:16 »

I know that, but the OP question is about putting a V8 into an old Carlton shell. So no connection with the straight 6 Lotus version at all, just a mention in the title for some strange reason.
Unless Ive missed something and he is actually mad enough to put an american V8 into a genuine Lotus Carlton ?   :o

Not mad ,maybe a little crazy. :y
 Actally bought me a lotus replica ,not the real deal.
But there is no engine or transmission in the car.
Im trying to find info if somebody had put a v8 in omega a ,but its hard to find info on the internet.
Would it fit?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2023, 20:12:35 »

In that case I admire what your trying to do.  :y
Problem here is that this forum is mainly for UK Vauxhall Omega, which replaced the Carlton.
The Carlton to you is the Omega A. Little if any info on those cars here unfortunately.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2023, 20:35:50 »

My main issue would be that its an insane thing to even consider. Ruining a very expensive car by dropping an old lump of yank iron in to replace the Lotus developed engine already in there.

That's assuming the current engine is servicable or reparable. We don't know that.

If it's put a rod through the block,(which I have seen - still got that block in the lockup) then getting a 'new' or recon C36GET will be a lot more expensive than throwing in a V8.

Lotus have already done some of the work required - Google Corvette ZR-1. Same/similar gearbox and same ECU. You won't get a ZR1 engine for £5K though.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2023, 20:44:09 »

Im trying to find info if somebody had put a v8 in omega a ,but its hard to find info on the internet.
Would it fit?

If it's a replica, you will never get your money back whatever you do. Best bet would be to try and find a Carlton GSi3000i or a Senator 3000i with engine and gearbox in it. These are probably rarer now than "Genuine" Lotus Carltons/Omegas, but if you can find one in a scrappy or eBay then the  parts should just swap over. There is a 12 valve and a 24 valve version of the GSI3000. 24V is higher powered, but the 12V is preferred my many owners for strength and reliability. Ok 'only' 220BHP ish(for the 24V), but should be a shed load cheaper than a V8 conversion.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2023, 23:12:37 »

I know that, but the OP question is about putting a V8 into an old Carlton shell. So no connection with the straight 6 Lotus version at all, just a mention in the title for some strange reason.
Unless Ive missed something and he is actually mad enough to put an american V8 into a genuine Lotus Carlton ?   :o

Would it fit?
It will almost dro straight in, as per my previous post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393970001266?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3jm2BtF2RsO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Ht8iHAwYSta&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Plus the book I linked to earlier and the full copy of the book F-Bodies Inc produced in 2007 F-body Inc. - Facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/372900023515328/ may be f use.

I know Rob had the thick end of £20k into his Omega B and he did all the fabrication work so expect it to cost $$$
Onanists always think outside the box.

bloodwheel

• sweden
    • lexus gs300
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2023, 08:42:54 »

In that case I admire what your trying to do.  :y
Problem here is that this forum is mainly for UK Vauxhall Omega, which replaced the Carlton.
The Carlton to you is the Omega A. Little if any info on those cars here unfortunately.
Aha, thats why i cant find info about omega/carlton on this forum.
In sweden this cars are all called omega...
I appreciate the info.
Thanks.
The car is based on a om..carlton 3000, but the engine and trans is gone.
Its cheaper to  find att chevy v8 in sweden then a original engine..

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2023, 12:23:13 »

It won't. Many have started down that route and I'm not aware of any that have succeeded in a RHD Carlton.

The Carlton/OmegaA has a different subframe and steering system to the Commodore. They look similar, but there are very few parts that are inter-changable between them.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2023, 12:30:52 »

Aha, thats why i cant find info about omega/carlton on this forum.
In sweden this cars are all called omega...
I appreciate the info.
Thanks.

The main source for help on the older Omega A / Carlton, and especially the Lotus Carlton/Omega is a club called The Autobahnstormers. There is a considerable overlap between info here and there, and some of us are members of both. There is an internet forum, but access requires club membership - I think it's £30 a year.

If you need help on an Omega A /Carlton issue then that's were I recommend you go. However, I've been a member since about 1997 and I don't remember anyone successfully completeing a V8 transplant into a Carlton.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2023, 13:27:23 »

It won't. Many have started down that route and I'm not aware of any that have succeeded in a RHD Carlton.

The Carlton/OmegaA has a different subframe and steering system to the Commodore. They look similar, but there are very few parts that are inter-changable between them.
OP is in Sweden so not sure why that's an issue   ???

Fitting a subframe and rack from a suitable vintage Commodore should fix that particular conundrum for rhd.

Essentially this is what Rob ended up doing because the pitman arm movement is marginally affected by the right hand header. But yes, the engine will happily fit into the available space.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2023, 14:01:37 »

Sounds like an interesting project to me, and just because it might not have been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done.  :-X   :y

This might not be a Carlton/Omega A forum, but there is a lot of knowledge and experience here which you might find useful, and you'll learn to filter out the naysayers!  ;D

I for one would be interested to see how you get on if you decide to go ahead, and I'm sure many others here will be interested as well, so it would be great if you keep us updated!  :)   

With photos of course!  ;)  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2023, 14:03:55 »

There was a 1987 Vauxhall Carlton V8 built by Dave Cook Racing Services, near York. It was built for the Thundersaloon Racing but I don’t think there was much original Carlton left by the time it was ready for the track. Apparently the rear differential was Holden, the engine was Chevrolet, mated to a ZF gearbox.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2023, 14:20:50 »

Biggest issue is the antiquated steering
You would need to change it over to a Corsa C column and rack
The header will clash on the steering box side
There is a bloke working for 456flb who has a Lexus V8 in his Carlton( Omega A)
He has the Corsa steering set up
Car handles like a hot hatch
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.