Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3058742 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #25935 on: 20 December 2023, 15:45:58 »

Changed the battery in MrsT's 2016 Zafira Tourer, was the original GM one. Not bad going I guess. Easy job.

Unlike the BMW, where when I come to do that, apparently I need to code it/link it with Bimmerlink/bimmercode. Luckily it had a new one fitted at purchase, so should be good for a few years.

You do indeed, but it's simple enough with any diag tool, the Battery Management System needs to know so it manages the charging / discharging profile of the new battery.

Yeah looks easy enough, not yet invested in BimmerLink/Code, a friend has one. Which allowed me to open the exhaust flap and pull the fuse

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25936 on: 20 December 2023, 17:17:14 »

They are quite useful apps to be honest. I've also got the proper BMW diags and cables which has proven useful when replacing side vision cameras etc

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25937 on: 21 December 2023, 08:35:37 »

.. but wait until TheBoy spots the Sony head unit. :-X
fikk'n, shitty, poxy, useless, crappy, blah blah  >:(

Do they still beep about a thousand times when you turn them on or off?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25938 on: 21 December 2023, 08:39:35 »

Viral_Jim - don't know much able the mechanicals of the newer ones, as only driven them as hire cars, so tend to be fairly new.  Not a bad load lugger to be in either as a driver or front seat passenger (not every got in the back of newer ones), but glad to see yours is a manual, as the auto isn't well suited and makes it feel like a dog.

Hope it serves you well :)

(My mum wouldn't let me own that one, its blue.  She tells me off every time I get a blue car ;D)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25939 on: 21 December 2023, 17:36:01 »

They are quite useful apps to be honest. I've also got the proper BMW diags and cables which has proven useful when replacing side vision cameras etc

Thanks, useful to know!  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25940 on: 28 December 2023, 09:06:08 »

Viral_Jim - don't know much able the mechanicals of the newer ones, as only driven them as hire cars, so tend to be fairly new.  Not a bad load lugger to be in either as a driver or front seat passenger (not every got in the back of newer ones), but glad to see yours is a manual, as the auto isn't well suited and makes it feel like a dog.

Not only is the auto a dog, it's also Ford's attempt at a DSG type setup that got them sued in class actions in both USA and Australia and was ultimately dropped because ol' Henry's boffins couldn't get it to work right.

So far I've only done about 250miles of mixed driving but it seems to handle well for a big bus. The 2.0 is much quieter & smoother feeling than it's 2.2l brother that's sitting in her Evoque. Not sure why this would be the case as you'd hope the Evoque has better sound deadening.

Being a ford there's a rattle from somewhere in the 3rd row seats and a squeak from the second. Both of which I will have to fix before they drive me insane.

Radio is mercifully beep free. Just one when turned on or the source is changed and it turns itself off (beeplessly) when you switch off and open the door. There's a disproportionate amount of bass, just like every Sony radio I've ever had, but it works well enough.

I haven't found any rust yet. Mostly because I haven't looked

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25941 on: 28 December 2023, 13:18:55 »

Changed the oil in hers.  Being a diesel chain driven engine, I start to get twitchy once its done more than 4k on the oil.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25942 on: 28 December 2023, 14:23:14 »

Changed the oil in hers.  Being a diesel chain driven engine, I start to get twitchy once its done more than 4k on the oil.
Yes, my diesel is chain driven and gets an oil change once a year, whether it needs it or not.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25943 on: 28 December 2023, 16:58:25 »

Changed the oil in hers. ..... once its done more than 4k on the oil.

And I bet it's still black even after a run around the block!  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25944 on: 28 December 2023, 18:46:06 »

Yes, my diesel is chain driven and gets an oil change once a year, whether it needs it or not.
Yeah, but I keep mine more than 5 minutes....

*ANYTHING* should easily last 100k, no matter how much you abuse it.  Nissan Leafs (and similar ill conceived TVs) aside, obviously.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25945 on: 28 December 2023, 19:11:00 »

Changed the oil in hers.  Being a diesel chain driven engine, I start to get twitchy once its done more than 4k on the oil. :P

Yeah, but I keep mine more than 5 minutes....

*ANYTHING* should easily last 100k, no matter how much you abuse it.  Nissan Leafs (and similar ill conceived TVs) aside, obviously.
Your cars break much more often than mine do. I put over 90,000 miles on my last astra (added to the 20odd it had already done) with no more than annual oil changes, and I never had to call out the RAC once  ;D
This one is coming up to 70,000 and is still running sweet  :P
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25946 on: 28 December 2023, 22:22:59 »

It’s an Astra what do you expect? Best car ever made I love mine to bits 🤣👍👍 I’ve had one in one form or another for 30 years
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25947 on: 29 December 2023, 10:59:10 »

Your cars break much more often than mine do. I put over 90,000 miles on my last astra (added to the 20odd it had already done) with no more than annual oil changes, and I never had to call out the RAC once  ;D
This one is coming up to 70,000 and is still running sweet  :P
Mine all have a lot more miles...   ...although in the case of my current car, most of the issues have been down to moronic design decisions made by Ford and PSA.

I'd expect anything modernist to last to 100k even will only an annual oil change and brakes and tyres as a when required.  It's the 100k to 250+k when you start to see the results of piss poor servicing.  And diesels still heavily contaminate the oil with particulates (hence the oil goes black almost instantly) which is like running grit in your oil.  Modern diesels also water the oil down with diesel as well, to varying extents.

Add to that, *nobody* makes an oil that in standard car sump sizes will not have mostly broken down in 7k...

But if you only keep to 100k, who cares, and when it's sold on, its not your problem ;).  You probably over service the car in that case...
Grumpy old man

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #25948 on: 29 December 2023, 15:16:46 »

Changed the engine oil and filter on my 1997 2.5 Elite.

Followed that with a car wash with new shampoo and a new foam sponge!!!! Luxury!!  Certainly looks a lot better now.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2023, 15:21:27 by Carfix »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25949 on: 29 December 2023, 16:42:42 »

Battery was flat so charged it up slowly and while refitting it, put on its winter jacket, which has been sat in the boot for a few years.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.