Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clearout time (PC bits)  (Read 2253 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Clearout time (PC bits)
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2021, 18:48:42 »

I still prefer PS2 mouses & keyboards.
Modern fancy stuff.  Far to easy to plug them in the wrong port, unlike the proper originals.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2021, 18:51:27 »

GPU pricing is solely down to Cryptocurrency miners.
Only if you listen to (notoriously lazy) computer journos.

Whilst the crypto-miners have had an impact, you'll find most are going into data centres and supercomputers.
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2021, 19:08:37 »

Modern fancy stuff.  Far to easy to plug them in the wrong port, unlike the proper originals.

9Pin Serial Mouse and AT Keyboard.  All industry standard at the time..... oh how things have changed.

Whilst the crypto-miners have had an impact, you'll find most are going into data centres and supercomputers.

Data centres don't tend to have a huge array of GPU performance, for obvious reasons.  Supercomputers, yes, but they are not as prevalent as people make out.  The *new* big thing in PC gaming was going to be Cloud Gaming.... it never really took off, and big names in the industry have since dropped plans to expand, or indeed scrapped what they had already implemented.

Seriously, cyrptocurrency mining is MASSIVE, and only getting bigger.  You only need to look at the number of new currencies which are being made-up on the spot sold as the next BitCoin.  Serious money is being spent by the Energy companies, as Electricity theft is a huge problem, and not for growing Herbs.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2021, 12:26:11 »

Data centres don't tend to have a huge array of GPU performance, for obvious reasons.
//Panto mode

Oh yes they do

//Panto off

As datacenters move off Intel (and AMD, though they were never dominant) x86 and towards ARM, they deploy a lot of GPU clusters for data crunching compute.

These aren't the same that you and I can buy retail, but heavily customised GPUs that are only available to certain companies that I'm not allowed to say...  ...but think of the hyperscalers.  This is where all their (limited) production is going.  Nobody comes out and says this too loudly, because nVidia and AMD do not want people to know they are doing this, and are quite happy to blame shortages on the selfish, nasty crypto-miners.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2021, 20:57:27 »

Still sorting, just found this, brand new and boxed.

Look at the specs ::)

https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/2149553/Pen_Digital_Camera.html
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2021, 21:24:30 »

9Pin Serial Mouse and AT Keyboard.  All industry standard at the time..... oh how things have changed.

Data centres don't tend to have a huge array of GPU performance, for obvious reasons.  Supercomputers, yes, but they are not as prevalent as people make out.  The *new* big thing in PC gaming was going to be Cloud Gaming.... it never really took off, and big names in the industry have since dropped plans to expand, or indeed scrapped what they had already implemented.

Seriously, cyrptocurrency mining is MASSIVE, and only getting bigger.  You only need to look at the number of new currencies which are being made-up on the spot sold as the next BitCoin.  Serious money is being spent by the Energy companies, as Electricity theft is a huge problem, and not for growing Herbs.
Talking of cryptocurrencies, I've just started having a few spam e-mails trying to get me hooked. Never had any before, until last week.  >:(

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2021, 21:47:24 »

There is spam in my inbox and on Facebook daily, Even using Dragons den members for thier adverts :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.