Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Good Old Days.  (Read 2719 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
The Good Old Days.
« on: 26 March 2021, 12:53:49 »

Just seen them cooking Fish n Chips from a 60's show on tv and it took me back to the days when I were a lad and we were visiting Grannys for the weekend.  Dad took me to the local chippy in Langley Park and I will never forget they were cooking the food in dripping on a coke fired cooking range

There were 2 older ladies running the shop, one cooking and stokeing the fire, the other serving.  As nice as fish & chips are today these were the best I have ever had. :y :y

The next best, Other Granny we were in Cullen, Dad decided to treat all the visiting family to the chippy, me and my cousin were sent off with the "List" and £20 (old money)

There were 9 fish suppers (2 fish each), 2 x pie & chips, sausage n chips x 3, 2 bags of chips & quite a few cartons of peas and as a favour to us the rest of the chips in the warmer , the 2 customers behind us had allready left as they were told shey were done frying for the day.

Plus we came back with some change.  Good day all round. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Old Days.
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2021, 13:00:25 »

Plus on one of the trips to Langley Park I realised my Dad seemed to know every one.

At the petrol station (Dad's old made ) I was given a full set of kings and queens heads of the UK and a plastic castle/mount to stand the heads on..  Cant remeber the number (Maybe 18/22 or so) were all in sealed packets so I had the basics to start swapping at school.

Then when he went to see another mate that just happened to run a pub.  I walked away with a full set of Watneys beer mats  printed / pressed in sets of 12  I eneded up with over 1000 beer mats swapping them at school the next week. ::)

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2021, 13:02:38 »

To add (BUT THIS MAY BE CLASSED AS RACIST - Please delete if this is the case)

As  a kid my Mum saved me a full set of Chivers Gollie wogs.  Still never found out who nicked them :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2021, 13:04:05 »

Plus on one of the trips to Langley Park I realised my Dad seemed to know every one.

At the petrol station (Dad's old made ) I was given a full set of kings and queens heads of the UK and a plastic castle/mount to stand the heads on..  Cant remeber the number (Maybe 18/22 or so) were all in sealed packets so I had the basics to start swapping at school.

Then when he went to see another mate that just happened to run a pub.  I walked away with a full set of Watneys beer mats  printed / pressed in sets of 12  I eneded up with over 1000 beer mats swapping them at school the next week. ::)

Stick on Bullet holes
Green shield stamps.
5 star petrol.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2021, 13:07:58 »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2021, 13:09:27 »

Stick on Bullet holes
  still got some
Green shield stamps.
5 star petrol.  and personal service from staff

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2021, 13:11:03 »

As  a kid my Mum saved me a full set of Chivers Gollie wogs.  Still never found out who nicked them :-\

I remember these. Innocent fun.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2021, 13:13:53 »

I've still got one of the original Esso Tigers tails in my garage I believe it's priceless..😂😂😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2021, 13:36:33 »

I've still got one of the original Esso Tigers tails in my garage I believe it's priceless..😂😂😂

Did Esso use the slogan.........Put a tiger in your tank?

It  sounds familiar.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2021, 13:42:10 »

Yes they did , had an Esso garage at the bottom of our road when we lived in Croydon.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2021, 13:51:09 »

Green shield stamps ! that's going back a bit , a massive thing in its day , I can remember my parents collecting them .

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2021, 13:54:17 »

Green shield stamps ! that's going back a bit , a massive thing in its day , I can remember my parents collecting them .

Some petrol stations would offer 8, 10, 12 or even 16 times green shield stamps to encourage customers.

They'd be spewing out of the machine for ages if you had just filled a full tank..... ;D 

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2021, 14:30:16 »

Some petrol stations would offer 8, 10, 12 or even 16 times green shield stamps to encourage customers.

They'd be spewing out of the machine for ages if you had just filled a full tank..... ;D 

I remember them spewing out of the machines in the Co-op and then people shopping with carrier bags full of green sheild books.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2021, 14:30:41 »

Then there were the Ciggy coupons :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2021, 14:37:08 »

There was nothing racist about golliwogs back then, cute little black people toys. Kids aren't racist until they're taught to be racist, and they're little boys till they're taught to be little girls.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2021, 15:01:05 »

There was nothing racist about golliwogs back then, cute little black people toys. Kids aren't racist until they're taught to be racist, and they're little boys till they're taught to be little girls.

Yes......of course. Pretty obvious really. We were born boys, treated like boys, expected to act like boys, and expected to have sex with girls. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2021, 15:07:57 »

Stick on Bullet holes
Green shield stamps.
5 star petrol.

The bullet holes werent stick on when I was growing up.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2021, 15:11:14 »

Stick on Bullet holes
Green shield stamps.
5 star petrol.

The bullet holes werent stick on when I was growing up. ;D

That is witty......and true in your case. Hopefully things are better now.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2021, 15:16:42 »

At the petrol station (Dad's old made )

One of the garages used to hand out the football coins (can't remember which brand garage gave them out, might have been Shell  :-\ ) that you collected as you got fuel. You had a football team card to stick them in. Even though they looked like a 10p coin they were actually the same size and weight as a 2p coin. Just saying like, but Phone boxes used to accept 2p coins.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2021, 16:42:35 »

10 pence pieces were the same size and weight as a Deutsche mark, so back in the day in Germany you could buy a packet of 20 fags from a machine for 40p, rather than £1.70..... or so I'm told  :-[
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2021, 16:44:25 »

At the petrol station (Dad's old made )

One of the garages used to hand out the football coins (can't remember which brand garage gave them out, might have been Shell  :-\ ) that you collected as you got fuel. You had a football team card to stick them in. Even though they looked like a 10p coin they were actually the same size and weight as a 2p coin. Just saying like, but Phone boxes used to accept 2p coins.  ::)

Sold a set of these on eBay a couple of years back, can't remember what they went for but there was a fair few bids.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2021, 19:57:43 »

you get 73 of these Dalasi coins for 1 pound sterling in Gambia ,they look like 50 pence ,weigh the same   :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2021, 20:09:16 »

you get 73 of these Dalasi coins for 1 pound sterling in Gambia ,they look like 50 pence ,weigh the same   :-X

Mombasa had a 50p sized coin too .... too long back to remember exactly ... buy they worked well in the UK phone boxes too .... apparently  ::)

And a US Quarter was the same size as the bigger old 5p/shilling ..... they fitted the vending machines on the jetty in Florida ... 2 x 5p/shillings for a can of pop & you got change  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2021, 20:12:58 »

I remember fish 6d and chips 3d.

When we worked as teenagers at local farm , thefarmers eldest ( 19) lad used to always have fish and chips thrice. In the days before you got a ton of chips with a fish like you do now.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2021, 20:19:51 »

:y

When we worked as teenagers at local farm , thefarmers eldest ( 19) lad used to always have fish and chips thrice. In the days before you got a ton of chips with a fish like you do now.

I used to own a chippy in the 80's

Even then.  £1.32 got you Fish & chips with peas on a tray . . . and a fork.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2021, 20:23:09 »

Which I would guess puts you at 70 ish years old now ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2021, 20:26:55 »

I think he is 60.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2021, 20:28:51 »

Mombasa had a 50p sized coin too .... too long back to remember exactly ... buy they worked well in the UK phone boxes too .... apparently  ::)

And a US Quarter was the same size as the bigger old 5p/shilling ..... they fitted the vending machines on the jetty in Florida ... 2 x 5p/shillings for a can of pop & you got change  :y

I had Fish and Chips from a chippy in Nairobi once.  Tilapia from Lake Victoria and proper soggy chips in newspaper for about 100 Bob.  :y

That's Kenya shillings (Ksh) of course as I'm far too young to remember British shillings!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2021, 20:30:26 »

I think he is 60.

You may be right, although 20,s is a young age to own a chippy.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2021, 20:30:37 »

I had Fish and Chips from a chippy in Nairobi once.  Tilapia from Lake Victoria and proper soggy chips in newspaper for about 100 Bob.  :y

That's Kenya shillings (Ksh) of course as I'm far too young to remember British shillings! :)

Something we share in common.... :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2021, 20:32:28 »

I remember that very ruse from the vending machine in the lobby at a hotel in Clearwater... circa 1990 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2021, 20:35:33 »

Me.  59, 60 next month ::)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.