Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DPF removal Q...  (Read 4279 times)

05omegav6

DPF removal Q...
« on: 05 January 2014, 23:04:56 »

I've heard it suggested that the 1.9 CDTI lump can have the DPF gutted and the ECU reprogrammed to 'forget' that the DPF was ever fitted...  :-\

Does this apply to the 3.0 CDTI as well, or even to other manufacturers :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: DPF removal Q...
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2014, 23:10:24 »

I think DPF's are MOT'able now Al.  If a DPF has been fitted then it has to work.  :-\

EDIT: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter
« Last Edit: 05 January 2014, 23:13:44 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2014, 23:13:34 »

I think DPF's are MOT'able now Al.  If a DPF has been fitted then it has to work.  :-\

Is that a 'it looks fitted' or specifically 'tested'  :-\ thinking along the lines of drop exhaust, remove innards from above, weld up and refit...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2014, 23:19:49 »

Is that a 'it looks fitted' or specifically 'tested'  :-\ thinking along the lines of drop exhaust, remove innards from above, weld up and refit...

This seems to be something on all modern diesels now, having done some research after my Citroen post, replacement against fuel costs seems to be Ok to me though, remember petrol has the Cat to do the same sort of job and that fails. £500 to replace after about 80000 miles, less if it has regular Italian tune up's.................. :-\ :-\ :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2014, 23:21:24 »

How do you take the guts out, with out it being obvious that it's been tampered with?  ???

I would have thought that any tester would just fail it once they spot a patch welded on?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2014, 23:25:56 »

How do you take the guts out, with out it being obvious that it's been tampered with?  ???

I would have thought that any tester would just fail it once they spot a patch welded on?  :-\
Master, iirc, suggested a way of doing it surreptitiously  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2014, 23:33:49 »

This seems to be something on all modern diesels now, having done some research after my Citroen post, replacement against fuel costs seems to be Ok to me though, remember petrol has the Cat to do the same sort of job and that fails. £500 to replace after about 80000 miles, less if it has regular Italian tune up's.................. :-\ :-\ :-\
I've only 'needed' to replace the cats on one car, and that was due to debris impact damage, namely hitting an upturned manhole cover at 60 ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2014, 23:34:41 »

Oe cats are reliable I thought? It's the pattern shite that's, er, shite.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2014, 23:37:45 »

I was under the impression removal would show up on an emissions test at an mot.
One of the purposes of the dpf is to reduce co2 emissions no?

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2014, 23:42:37 »

I was under the impression removal would show up on an emissions test at an mot.
As I understand it, the diesel emissions test is a simple visual smoke test...

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2014, 23:42:46 »

That's the question really. I think Al is looking for reliable short journey use, currently not possible with a Dpf.

Bloody madness it seems to me...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2014, 23:47:52 »

DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter. It's there to hopefully burn off most of the black soot(particulates!) seen in exhausts from badly setup, low rpm diesels.

Of course, putting a filter in an exhaust couldn't possibly get blocked. Could it?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2014, 23:52:46 »

That's the question really. I think Al is looking for reliable short journey use, currently not possible with a Dpf.

Indeed when every other car seems to be a diesel, currently looking around at Petrol cars, but not totally convinced, given fuel savings over petrol......... :-\ :-\ ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2014, 23:54:04 »

Indeed when every other car seems to be a diesel, currently looking around at Petrol cars, but not totally convinced, given fuel savings over petrol......... :-\ :-\ ;)
Lpg

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2014, 00:02:05 »

DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter. It's there to hopefully burn off most of the black soot(particulates!) seen in exhausts from badly setup, low rpm diesels.

Of course, putting a filter in an exhaust couldn't possibly get blocked. Could it?
Cynic... ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.