Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone talk me out of this?  (Read 4640 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone talk me out of this?
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2021, 23:46:02 »

Any A8 that's working is a cracking car to borrow. But to buy??

If you're going to pay for one, then the basic V6 is plenty fast enough when it isn't emptying your wallet. And it doesn't really do anything that an A6 can't.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2021, 09:54:13 »

Right, the front end needs to be dismantled to do belt etc; I'm talking bumper, grill, radiator pack, crash bar - to the point you can walk up to the front of the engine.

A lot of jobs require the engine to be completely removed. Also there is a list of special Audi tools required to work on this car.

It'll be a fun car, but will cost you highly. I would certainly be tempted to spend the extra to get a third party assessment of the car. Ideally by someone who knows Audi's. I would suspect they would find a list of things that need doing.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2021, 10:32:54 »

Right, the front end needs to be dismantled to do belt etc; I'm talking bumper, grill, radiator pack, crash bar - to the point you can walk up to the front of the engine.

A lot of jobs require the engine to be completely removed. Also there is a list of special Audi tools required to work on this car.

Dismantled is a little strong; most of it is moved forward on pins which are one of the special tools. It sounds worse than it is, can you imagine how bad it would be if French designers had come up with the service procedure?

Here's what a friend said about his twin-turbo A6: if it says Bosch on it, it WILL fail. And there are a lot of Bosch parts in an Audi....

Buying a Bosch part in a VAG box from an Audi dealer costs at least double what one in a Bosch box from a Bosch dealer does. They make the mechanical design and parts prices look almost reasonable. Which is terrifying when you consider the front suspension foibles. No not foibles - nightmare

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2021, 10:36:18 »

So....punk, do you feel lucky? Well? Do you?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2021, 11:05:18 »

If you have to ask how much it costs for various items, a sensible rule is that you can't afford it, but if you like taking chances & want a bit of a blast go for it , why don't you find a good independent to advise you & check the car over.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2021, 12:54:26 »

Why not buy it then sell it in six months time at say £2000 less having hopefully done nothing to it?

Could you lease a similar performance vehicle for £350 a month?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2021, 13:02:13 »

Buy it & enjoy it you know you want to.

Yep....life is not a rehearsal. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2021, 13:04:28 »

Is this the V10 from the Gallardo?

It should certainly sound nice. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2021, 13:10:55 »

Can you talk me out of this😢😢 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011296595067?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=Cf433at&model=XJ&page=1&aggregatedTrim=XJR&price-from=500&make=JAGUAR&onesearchad=Used&modal=photos

Both of my Jaaags have been reliable with the exception of central locking woes, which were fixed under warranty.

I don't count the X-Type 3.0V6 Mondeo we briefly owned as a real Jag. 4 WD bag of shit. :-\

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2021, 13:17:47 »

Can you talk me out of this😢😢 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011296595067?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=Cf433at&model=XJ&page=1&aggregatedTrim=XJR&price-from=500&make=JAGUAR&onesearchad=Used&modal=photos

Both of my Jaaags have been reliable with the exception of central locking woes, which were fixed under warranty.

I don't count the X-Type 3.0V6 Mondeo we briefly owned as a real Jag. 4 WD bag of shit. :-\

That's the only problems I've had with the Range Rover the central locking door actuators, one rear was faulty when I got it so had them both replaced , front passenger was temperamental so had both fronts changed when it was serviced last year, 4 new tyres required soon should be around £600- £700.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2021, 13:22:45 »

That's the only problems I've had with the Range Rover the central locking door actuators, one rear was faulty when I got it so had them both replaced , front passenger was temperamental so had both fronts changed when it was serviced last year, 4 new tyres required soon should be around £600- £700.

Common parts to Jaguar and RR, I imagine.

I also had a shagged door mirror motor but this was also fixed under warranty. They told me this would have cost £650. :o :o :o

Rear tyres are quite large 285/30/20 and about £270 each.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2021, 14:01:24 »

I had an advisory on a tyre on my ML last week, a bit smaller though than yours at 265/45/20 I asked at a local tyre place, they ranged from £120-odd for Landsail to over £300 each for a Michelin!!  ???

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2021, 14:05:00 »

I had an advisory on a tyre on my ML last week, a bit smaller though than yours at 265/45/20 I asked at a local tyre place, they ranged from £120-odd for Landsail to over £300 each for a Michelin!!  ???

Is this the modern day version of the infamous Wanli Ditchfinder? :D

Mine wears Michelin Pilot Sport 4S boots.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2021, 14:22:17 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2021, 14:09:30 »

The number of expensive cars I see on the cheapest tyres money can buy is rather scary. 'I want a new car and big powah' but the small, contact patch with the road can be as cheap as possible, it's not like it's important! Is it?
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2021, 14:13:33 »

The number of expensive cars I see on the cheapest tyres money can buy is rather scary. 'I want a new car and big powah' but the small, contact patch with the road can be as cheap as possible, it's not like it's important! Is it?

Only ever buy " named brands" of tyres fortunately a former colleagues father has a tyre shop local to me & always gives me a good price, looks like it will be Pirellis or Michelins on the Range Rover.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2021, 14:15:27 by Rangie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.