Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 8971 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2021, 13:11:54 »

V6 of some description if you want an auto.  Preferrably the older 2.5 or 3l, rather than the newer, gutless, thirsty 2.6/3.2 ones.

Ooooh, that hurt.  :P  ;D  Can't say I ever remember any 3.0's coming past me in my 3.2.  :-\ ;D
I think I did on the way back from Billing once?  Just when you'd just had your first patronisation course.

Or was I in my 3.2?
Must have been the Chav... All that plastic obviously adds an extra zillion horsepower ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2021, 13:13:29 »

I wonder if the OP has been put off buying an Omega yet?  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2021, 13:51:15 »

I wonder if the OP has been put off buying an Omega yet?  ;D
;D

Whilst it might look that way, it saves them trying to sell it after five minutes because they haven't researched it properly.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2021, 13:55:33 »

To be honest, most of the comments here (except the engine sizes) would apply to any 20 year old car you were thinking of buying.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2021, 14:15:41 »

Perhaps, the suspension is probably the biggest immediate issue, as the rear shocks are about the only part you can replace without requiring a full set up. The idea of changing anything else is an instant £80+ for a proper alignment, and that's assuming that everything else is ok and the rear track rods free off without bending.

Sure you can change it all one part at a time, but get it wrong and you'll see 1,000 miles from the front tyres, and that gets really old, really quickly.

And that's before the normal maintenance stuff like cam cover leaks and breather cleaning.

That's not to say the Omega is a bad car, far from it... Just that you need to have your eyes open when you buy one 'because it's cheaper than a 5 Series/E Class ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2021, 14:43:00 »

Low mileage doesn't help the age related problems, like seals degrading. Then there's actual use; a 20 year old car with under 100k miles hasn't had much use, so it's spent lots of time standing. And that causes its own problems, especially on complicated cars that are already fussy to maintain. Old, low mileage cars have often had normal maintenance delayed because it's only done 1500 miles since the last time you looked at it.

If you want a toy, or are prepared to quickly do all the jobs we know will be necessary then none of this matters.

But anyone expecting to have a daily driver from the moment they buy it needs to looking at cars that are already in daily use. I would rather buy Amba's high mileage Omega than Lizzie's much lower one for that very reason.

My Omega is in daily use.  But, I know what you mean: high mileage cars that are started  before doing longish journey's every day have the oil circulated around a hot engine for long periods, the exhaust is brought to, and maintained for a long time, at a high temperature, so any harmful moisture is constantly dissipated.

So, yes, a high mileage car can actually last longer.  However, for 25 years I had brand new fully expensed company cars that I regularly drove 100K+ miles in two years, one even going to 108k in one year.  As usual those vehicles, fully maintained, were changed after two years with another brand new vehicle.  The company did that because after that level of mileage the maintenance costs would rise with parts wearing out, let alone an MOT being required, and the trade in value of the car would depreciate quickly after the two year period, on a vehicle with costs escalating. Now those cars were of an age where after that level of mileage the engines, especially on my Ford Cortina's, would show severe signs of wear, even with great maintenance. It again was good business sense to replace.

So, in the case of high mileage cars I would argue that, along with wear and tear on the bodywork, can be a greater risk than (some) low mileage cars like mine that was / is maintained to a high standard and kept overnight in a garage.  So, recognising you mention Nick the "under 100k miles" rule, in fact you can reverse that to saying "over 100k" can mean you face ever greater bills (like on my company cars when then in private ownership), and over 150k they can get extortionate. Like my 150k Senator I had in private ownership, it needed a new fuel tank due to rusting, the gear box requiring repairs, new oil cooler and pipes, and then severe (near terminal) rusting around the rear wheel arches, which made me trade it in for my first privately owned Omega 3.0 Elite.  Therefore I calculate that with my current 80k mileage Omega, with the correct maintenance being undertaken, can reasonably be expected to last to the 125-150k mileage before costs become extortionate.

Right or wrong, it should get me at least 10 years future Omega driving before I will probably give up motoring, or at least been able to obtain a non-fossil fuel car (with a Government grant! ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)) that drives me!! ;D ;D ;)

For me that all seems good, but yes if I was going to buy another Omega now, IF I could find one 8 years down the line and knowing I would never again have it at 54k miles on the clock, look at what parts had been replaced, the level of professional or semi-professional servicing, before looking at the mileage. ;)
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 14:44:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 February 2021, 15:20:08 »

Mine is just coming up to 190k on the clock. All suspension and most of the brakes have been replaced. Serviced very regularly and cambelt has only done a few hundred miles.
I would happily drive it anywhere and if I keep it, I wouldnt be surprised if it outlasts me.
Its taken a lot of work and a fair bit of money to get it there though. I think you need to be a real enthusiast to make one nice and keep it that way.
Not many people are going to have that commitment for an old Vauxhall, getting on for 20 years old.
In fact, thinking about it, I must be fickin mad.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 February 2021, 15:28:00 »

Trust me Albs...your not alone there and with the replacement speedo head added to the mileage mine is now on 238k and still in daily use,some days doing 120+ miles all of which I thoroughly enjoy driving ....just not the fuel but that is atleast tax deductable  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2021, 15:35:14 »

V6 of some description if you want an auto.  Preferrably the older 2.5 or 3l, rather than the newer, gutless, thirsty 2.6/3.2 ones.

Ooooh, that hurt.  :P  ;D  Can't say I ever remember any 3.0's coming past me in my 3.2.  :-\ ;D
I think I did on the way back from Billing once?  Just when you'd just had your first patronisation course.

Or was I in my 3.2?

You were in TBE.  :y  Oh, and turning off on a slip road exit as I was slowing down for heavy traffic doesn't constitute an overtake.  ::) ;D

Just when you'd just had your first patronisation course.

My speed awareness course was the following day.  ;D   :-[

Back on topic  ::)  I loved that car and still miss it. I must have liked it as I kept it for seventeen years, even though I had new cars sat on the drive at the same time.  :y 
Just to add, my old 3.2 is still going strong and is still tidy.  :y
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 15:41:09 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2021, 16:17:57 »

Trust me Albs...your not alone there and with the replacement speedo head added to the mileage mine is now on 238k and still in daily use,some days doing 120+ miles all of which I thoroughly enjoy driving ....just not the fuel but that is atleast tax deductable  ;D

I wish my fuel was tax deductable. It would allow me to take great pleasure in shoving the hateful little pile if French plastic and cardboard over the nearest cliff ,instead of lying under it trying to remove everything to get the turbo off.
It must have been assembled by educationally subnormal midgets ffs.  >:(
Rain has now stopped play and Im on days over the weekend, so its going to be one of those start / stop jobs that drags on and on. ::)
I was supposed to be tidying up my new toy, getting it ready to go on the road next month. :(

Still, Waitrose have just delivered the nosh, with a complimentary copy of the Torygraph, so every cloud....... ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2021, 17:03:54 »

Albs.....we seemed to both be afflicted with the perils of " La France"

SWTSMBO has also has a 1.2TCE clit almost from new on an 58 plate.To be fair it has been quite a good car and does go like a rocket when you get the turbo spinning up ,although I get shouted at for driving it too fast on the rare occasions I drive it.

It has only have usual service items during its life with the most annoying thing being the heater resistor making the interior fan only run on speeds 1 or 4 ,which a rewiring and new resistor cured.Other than that its been pretty bomb proof....so must of been built before lunch on either a Monday or Tuesday  ;D

All my car usage is tax deductable hence why I have never really worried too much about the Omegas costs

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2021, 17:26:57 »

This one hasnt been bad to be fair, until the turbo shit itself the other day. Its half way down the back of the engine, so you can imagine what its like trying to get to it, to get it off.  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2021, 17:30:07 »

Mine is just coming up to 190k on the clock. All suspension and most of the brakes have been replaced. Serviced very regularly and cambelt has only done a few hundred miles.
I would happily drive it anywhere and if I keep it, I wouldnt be surprised if it outlasts me.
Its taken a lot of work and a fair bit of money to get it there though. I think you need to be a real enthusiast to make one nice and keep it that way.
Not many people are going to have that commitment for an old Vauxhall, getting on for 20 years old.
In fact, thinking about it, I must be fickin mad.  ;D

That makes two of us! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2021, 18:04:53 »

Can't do much else with money at the moment so keep spending on the old Vauxhalls ,saw an ad today for a VW Golf  £36,000 now that really is a waste of money in my opinion.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 February 2021, 18:36:04 »

Can't do much else with money at the moment so keep spending on the old Vauxhalls ,saw an ad today for a VW Golf  £36,000 now that really is a waste of money in my opinion.
You can actually spend over £43K on a Vauxhall Grandland.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.