Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 9003 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #90 on: 21 February 2021, 13:41:22 »

Thanks for all the advice, pos and neg, and its great to know that there are so many wise and dedicated owners out there. All being well I will find a good one and if I do meet any problems will thankfully ask opinions on here.

Much appreciation to all on here.

Chris

Thats the spirit.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 21 February 2021, 13:46:11 »

Hope you do find a nice one ,at least you're going in with your eyes open great cars you won't be disappointed.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21 February 2021, 14:44:29 »

The Desmond saloon is just shy of 1,600 kgs ;)

A 2.0 8v with a slush box would make Joe Biden seem spritely ;D

Havnt got a Carlton book at hand to compare weights but the 2.0 auto was still OK in one of those. Not driven an omega with one !
depending on trim level , a 2L 8valve Carlton is about 1240 kg
and depending on the engine 20SE was 130 HP
the later C20ne cat cars down to 115 hp
a "sorted" 4 banger carlton manual was quite nippy
I drove them for 20 years

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 21 February 2021, 14:53:26 »

Yes they were good cars to drive .a few friends had them in various forms from 1.8 auto to 2.0 manual/ auto and friend also had a 2.6 which never felt quite as nippy for some reason although it could have had issues with the multi ram system .
Myself I have always had the mk1 and still have my 2.2 which used to be my daily driver since 1994.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21 February 2021, 16:00:31 »

Havnt got a Carlton book at hand to compare weights but the 2.0 auto was still OK in one of those. Not driven an omega with one !
That's still a fat person less than a rusty Omega :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21 February 2021, 16:39:04 »

That's still a fat person less than a rusty Omega :D
56 and a half stone (360KG)   :o
that's at least 3 fat people in my book
always said the Omega was a lard arse compared to the Carlton  ;D
explains why Omegas drink so much too ...... type 2 diabetes

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 21 February 2021, 20:32:40 »

I don't think anyone can say the V6 Omega was a 'quick' car..... but what it did have was effortless power.  I've only ever had Auto's (which is the best transmission choice for any lazy car) and the 'lazy' power was utterly brilliant.  A steady cruise at 70, give the pedal a small nudge and you'd be doing 90 in no time at all.....

I can't see the various Poice Forces contining to use them for as long as they did if they weren't 'quick' or were classed as a 'slouch'. Most Forces I understand, loved them. But feedback from the Officers using them would have resulted in their earlier withdrawal from service if they weren't classed as reliable, powerful or quick enough for the job.
Depends what you are comparing them to....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 21 February 2021, 21:15:22 »

They were quick enough of their time... The general alternative was the Volvo 850/V70 T5.

At £18.5k new they were a pretty cost effective buy.

The then new BMW E39 with the 3.0 diesel lump took over because they we're cheaper to run for similar performance capabilities, especially compared to the Vectra C that replaced the Omega in the VX police offerings. The switch to diesel as a primary agency fuel saw the end of serious VX performance in traffic cars. Not to mention the switch to SUVs due to the increasing kit carried.

Driven properly a manual 3.2 is still a reasonably quick car at around 7 seconds to 60.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 21 February 2021, 21:33:51 »

The then new BMW E39 with the 3.0 diesel lump took over because they were cheaper to run for similar performance capabilities, especially compared to the Vectra C that replaced the Omega in the VX police offerings. The switch to diesel as a primary agency fuel saw the end of serious VX performance in traffic cars. Not to mention the switch to SUVs due to the increasing kit carried.

Interestingly, Kent Police intended to replace the Volvos with diesel BMWs. Experience of the first batch made them reverse that decision.

The first driver I asked about them said it drives well, but is a crap Police car.

The workshop manager couldn't keep up with the broken ones. The only real cost saving was tyre wear.....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 21 February 2021, 21:47:07 »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. And also bourne out by the fact that Volvo still produce factory 'Services' vehicles and BMW don't.  :D

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 21 February 2021, 23:35:26 »

I don't think anyone can say the V6 Omega was a 'quick' car..... but what it did have was effortless power.  I've only ever had Auto's (which is the best transmission choice for any lazy car) and the 'lazy' power was utterly brilliant.  A steady cruise at 70, give the pedal a small nudge and you'd be doing 90 in no time at all.....

I can't see the various Poice Forces contining to use them for as long as they did if they weren't 'quick' or were classed as a 'slouch'. Most Forces I understand, loved them. But feedback from the Officers using them would have resulted in their earlier withdrawal from service if they weren't classed as reliable, powerful or quick enough for the job.
Depends what you are comparing them to....

Well, watching the usual Police programmes, the Omega was quite often used in chases around residential areas.... A Golf, Focus, even Astra of the time would out-handle an Omega, fit through smaller gaps, and probably be better overall.

As I alluded to above, the Omega was really a Motorway cruiser, and did handle high speeds very well.  I've seen north of 150MPH in a couple of mine (private roads of course  ;D ) and you wouldn't even think you were doing 120MPH.

In-between my last two Omegas (a 3.0Elite and a 3.2Elite) I had a 535i V8 e39.  The BMW was faster, handled MUCH better, was incredibly reliable, and if it weren't for a poor repair in it's past (rust crept in) I would possibly still own it.  I've recently driven the 540i e39, and that's just another step ahead.  (I'll accept that the Elite spec suspension is not designed to be thrown around, and the Police spec cars were more planted, but you can't adjust the chassis).

As for the Volvo's, never owned one, but did have a blast in a V70R..... sounded lovely, massive turbo lag, and with only 240BHP, (although quite a healthy torque figure) it felt a bit flat..... probably being a bit lardy.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 22 February 2021, 03:52:17 »

The twin turbo 3.0 straight six V70 T6 with 300bhp and all wheel drive makes the t5 look sluggish :D That's progress.

Unmarked response cars tend to be racier versions of the next size down... Focus/Octavia/3 Series which tends to make them a bit better for hacking through council estates although a boot full of Primark goodies will have a distinct weight advantage over a boot full of plod gubbins.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 22 February 2021, 17:35:13 »

A fully qualified Advanced Pursuit, T-Pack trained police driver will always get the best out of the police car is driving and so often out pace, out maneuver, the untrained driver they are chasing.

However, the yobs they often have to pursue have no regards for anyone else and drive so dangerously that even the Advanced police driver has to abort the chase.  In addition the criminal in say a small Fiesta or VW Golf will squeeze through spaces and go places were a police BMW X5 cannot reach without severe risk of avoidable damage or injury to the officers or members of the public.

So, in short, even the best car, most suitable for police work cannot do the job on every occasion, even when driven by a highly qualified and experienced officer. ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 22 February 2021, 18:20:21 »

which is a long way of saying "an Omega is a bit of a lard arse ,built for comfort, NOT speed"  :D

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 23 February 2021, 11:59:27 »

which is a long way of saying "an Omega is a bit of a lard arse ,built for comfort, NOT speed"  :D
Bit like me then.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.