Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tube for vacuuming oil  (Read 3933 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Tube for vacuuming oil
« on: 08 December 2022, 09:21:40 »

I'm after a piece of semi rigid tubing to poke down the dipstick tube to suck oil out (that's a separate debate, best left to another day).  Do they have a specific name for me to search on, or can anyone recommend anything suitable.

The dipstick tube, like most, has a bend in it, so needs to be flexible.  The clear tubes I got with the vacuum pump and from Ezibleeds and from bits of old screen wash tubing I had are all a bit too flexible, so hard to get as much oil out as possible.

This hasn't been an issue on the Big Black Pussy, as the engine was designed to be vac'd, so already has a tube fitted (in place of dipstick), but on Little Nell, that has a real, proper dippy.

Any pointers greatly appreciated :y
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Tube for vacuuming oil
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2022, 11:00:15 »

For the sake of an inexpensive solution, would 10mm plastic central heating pipe work? As you would expect, its 10mm O/D and about 6mm I/D.

I have a coil in the shed, happy to lop you a meter off and post it  :y 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2022, 11:10:40 »

Alternatively, for something with a smaller O/D, would the LPG type pipe work?

I've never done an install so not sure how rigid the stuff is, but it does seem like it be of the required rigidity based on the YT vids I have seen.

https://lpgautosupplies.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/pipes-and-hoses/faro-poly-pipe-8-mm-size-x-1-m/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2022, 11:24:17 »

just buy a Pela oil sucker  ;) ..... the lower part of the suction tube on mine is similar to a net curtain wire

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2022, 11:35:28 »

My Pela has semi-rigid (but easily steerable) black pipe with an O/D of 5mm as the ‘drop’ tube. It is more like thin walled straight airline pipe. You’re more than welcome to borrow my Pela until you get sorted.  :y
« Last Edit: 08 December 2022, 11:37:19 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2022, 12:22:34 »

Measure the bore of the dipstick tube, and whatever the fitting is on your drainer.
Find your local hydraulics/pneumatics/agricultural/truck/racecar supplier and tell them what you want. Buy a couple of metres of whichever solution you prefer.

I'd be leaning towards small-bore nylon airline and a rubber hose joiner - less than a fiver if they bother to charge at all

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2022, 13:20:01 »

Measure the bore of the dipstick tube, and whatever the fitting is on your drainer.
Find your local hydraulics/pneumatics/agricultural/truck/racecar supplier and tell them what you want. Buy a couple of metres of whichever solution you prefer.

I'd be leaning towards small-bore nylon airline and a rubber hose joiner - less than a fiver if they bother to charge at all
;D

This is Brackley. No such thing as "local", unless you are talking Indian restuarants or estate agents.

Hence it'll be online, and dont want to keep buying an chucking stuff because it aint right :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2022, 13:22:15 »

just buy a Pela oil sucker  ;) ..... the lower part of the suction tube on mine is similar to a net curtain wire
I wonder if I can just buy that bit, as I have a perfectly good 12v oil pump, and that can sort out that bit whilst I do the filter :)
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2022, 13:43:37 »

;D

This is Brackley. No such thing as "local", unless you are talking Indian restuarants or estate agents.

Hence it'll be online, and dont want to keep buying an chucking stuff because it aint right :)

That is why you need it in your hand.

And as for nothing local, where do all the farmers/mechanics/engineers/workshops/etc buy all their stuff? All you want is a bit of hose or tube. Googling 'Brackley hydraulics' shows a supplier a couple of miles from your house....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2022, 13:43:49 »

You thinking this sort of thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Pneumatic-Tubing-Compressor/dp/B09154XJ6Y/ref=sr_1_14?crid=YMPDFMJ4RIB4&keywords=%22semi+rigid%22+5mm+od+tube&qid=1670506044&sprefix=semi+rigid+5mm+od+tube%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-14

Will that be any better than what I already have, this sort of thing (ignoring size) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Metre-Flexible-Aquarium-Water/dp/B088FFLRW3/ref=sr_1_18?crid=YMPDFMJ4RIB4&keywords=%22semi+rigid%22+5mm+od+tube&qid=1670507046&sprefix=semi+rigid+5mm+od+tube%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-18
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2022, 13:47:09 »

My Pela has semi-rigid (but easily steerable) black pipe with an O/D of 5mm as the ‘drop’ tube. It is more like thin walled straight airline pipe. You’re more than welcome to borrow my Pela until you get sorted.  :y
Was looking at buying just the tube.  Seems only european supplier is a company called SVB that want £50 by the time they've charged nearly £30 postage :o

Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2022, 14:17:23 »

I've just measured the suction pipe/hose on my Pela & it's 6mm OD.
I can get hold of loads of 6mm plastic air line ... but will it collapse any in the hot oil? Maybe that's why the OE pipe is metal like a net curtain wire  :-\
« Last Edit: 08 December 2022, 14:25:44 by Andy B »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2022, 14:21:37 »

You sure? Mine's bigger than yours then  ::)
Mine actually measures 5.7mm  .... near enough to 6mm  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2022, 14:25:07 »

for those that remember how to read a proper Very-near  ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2022, 15:00:51 »

for those that remember how to read a proper Very-near  ;D

Wot, no digital one?  :o ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.