Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oil filter  (Read 4226 times)

feeutfo

Re: oil filter
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2013, 22:33:52 »

What's the removal tool for the spin on?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2013, 22:36:28 »

Clean way - chain wrench, dirty way - smack a screwdriver through it and turn ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2013, 22:37:29 »

I can't see the ref to the removal tool  :-\ but don't some use a strap type to hold the body behind the ally paper filter housing to stop it from spinning when the ally housing has been tightened to *%"@ lbft  :-\

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2013, 22:40:56 »

I can't see the ref to the removal tool  :-\ but don't some use a strap type to hold the body behind the ally paper filter housing to stop it from spinning when the ally housing has been tightened to *%"@ lbft  :-\

Think Mr Gixer means spin on cartridge Andy
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2013, 22:44:41 »

But Mr Copperslip is in the same group as me ie  'if it aint broke .... don't fix it'   ;) ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #20 on: 07 April 2013, 22:48:02 »

But Mr Copperslip is in the same group as me ie  'if it aint broke .... don't fix it'   ;) ;)

??? ??? Agree if its working why fix it but think Gixers question was "What's removal tool for spin on cartridge?"  Thats the question I was answering matey  ??? ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 April 2013, 22:50:54 »

??? ??? Agree if its working why fix it but think Gixers question was "What's removal tool for spin on cartridge?"  Thats the question I was answering matey  ??? ;)

Agreed.
We'll wait for our learned friend to reply  :y :y :y

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2013, 22:59:26 »

Yes i was asking about the spin on (not the cap for the paper filter as oe)

So chain wrench, strap type tools. I've used those and they are a bloody nuisance when there's loads of space, never mind when there's one click of room on a decent ratchet as with the cap.

Plus if spin on is punctured with a screw driver to remove the old one, then there's a problem with the new one not fitting/buggered threads/incorrect part, your stuffed, as the old one can't be refitted as a get by.

Nah, stick with the oe canister cap and paper filter one IMO. As AndyP says. ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2013, 23:00:32 »

Chain wrench, strap wrench, band wrench, filter pliers, 3claw wrench, leather belt and a bit of sandpaper, screwdriver etc etc. There's loads of them!

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2013, 23:10:33 »

Never had a problem undoing a spin on, often by hand but easy with a chain or belt wrench if necessary.  I figure that is because they will almost always be tightened by hand (what idiot even a kwikfitter would use a tool?) whereas to not overtigthen the canister requires the mechanic to have some knowledge and common sense.

Re. holing original the spin on then wanting to refit it because you bought the wrong one, would you really refit an old filter after draining the oil?  You then either have to put the old oil back in (not a good idea) or put fresh oil into a car with a dirty filter then drain it again to refit a new filter. Surely you'd get your trade card out get on the bus and buy the right filter.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #25 on: 07 April 2013, 23:17:52 »

So chain wrench, strap type tools. I've used those and they are a bloody nuisance when there's loads of space, never mind when there's one click of room on a decent ratchet as with the cap.

Plus if spin on is punctured with a screw driver to remove the old one, then there's a problem with the new one not fitting/buggered threads/incorrect part, your stuffed, as the old one can't be refitted as a get by.

The chain wrench I've used to remove stubborn ones takes a 1/2" square extension so ratchet well clear of cartridge - ie plenty of space.

Threaded part of cartridge only extends 1/2" to 1" max into cartridge so plenty of space to use old mucky method and whack a screwdriver through without any potential damage to any threads.  As said not sensible to consider refitting an old filter cartridge though :o

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 07 April 2013, 23:22:28 »

Chain wrench, strap wrench, band wrench, filter pliers, 3claw wrench, leather belt and a bit of sandpaper, screwdriver etc etc. There's loads of them!
One less thing to buy then! ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 07 April 2013, 23:24:41 »

The chain wrench I've used to remove stubborn ones takes a 1/2" square extension so ratchet well clear of cartridge - ie plenty of space.

Threaded part of cartridge only extends 1/2" to 1" max into cartridge so plenty of space to use old mucky method and whack a screwdriver through without any potential damage to any threads.  As said not sensible to consider refitting an old filter cartridge though :o
of course its not(sensible to re fit the old) but if the old ones punctured, and the new one doesn't fit, you have no car.

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2013, 23:25:19 »

Assuming it has been fitted correctly, simply undo it by hand. :y

Two of the Vectras at work have spin ons, only needed force to remove them the first time I serviced them ::) tother one had a canister, but being vertically mounted, no spillage issues  ::)

Not being able to reuse the filter holds no water(oil), as the same applies to a cracked canister  :y

Also spin on filters are pence :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #29 on: 07 April 2013, 23:50:54 »

of course its not(sensible to re fit the old) but if the old ones punctured, and the new one doesn't fit, you have no car.

Most of the spin ons have the same thread, differing only in capacity, so in an emergency an incorrect one could well fit.

Moral is get the correct one - you'd order the correct shockers or springs wouldn't you? ;)

As for your car being "incapacitated", surely you've got a friend who would help out  :-\

Agreed though keep to the paper type if its not bu**ered :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.