Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Adjusters  (Read 4225 times)

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
Star Adjusters
« on: 18 August 2014, 18:11:58 »

Hi, can anyone tell me which way to turn the adjusters for the handbrake adjustment please. I need to reduce the travel on the handbrake.

Thanks.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Star Adjusters
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2014, 18:19:54 »

Cable sets adjustment. Shine a torch in the adjuster, watch for more thread. Usually up to push shoes out. Go as far as to lock the wheel with adjuster, then back one or so off so it's loose. Do this on both sides, then nip cable up using a 13 spanner  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2014, 19:08:47 »

Meant to say shine torch in where the star adjuster is

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2014, 19:43:08 »

Cable sets adjustment. Shine a torch in the adjuster, watch for more thread. Usually up to push shoes out. Go as far as to lock the wheel with adjuster, then back one or so off so it's loose. Do this on both sides, then nip cable up using a 13 spanner  :y
Not quite ;D Direction depends on how the adjuster is fitted and which side... ::)

Lefthand wheel...

Star nearest front shoe, adjusment access forward of hub centreline.
Up to expand shoes
Down to release shoes

Star nearest rear shoe, adjustment access behind hub centreline.
Up to release shoes
Down to expand shoes

Righthand wheel...

Star nearest front shoe, adjustment access forward of hub centreline.
Up to release shoes
Down to expand shoes

Star nearest rear shoe, adjustment behind hub centreline.
Up to expand shoes
Down to release shoes

And that's that :y

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2014, 22:32:02 »

Thanks for a very thorough explanation.

Will the adjuster only turn so many times, what happens then? Mine won't turn anymore and the shoes arn't gripping.

Is it likely that the shoes need replacing?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2014, 22:35:05 »

Sounds like it, fully open the wheel should lock.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2014, 23:07:37 »

Thanks for a very thorough explanation.

Will the adjuster only turn so many times, what happens then? Mine won't turn anymore and the shoes arn't gripping.

Is it likely that the shoes need replacing?
Try it the other way :y

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2015, 19:19:09 »

Not quite ;D Direction depends on how the adjuster is fitted and which side... ::)

Lefthand wheel...

Star nearest front shoe, adjusment access forward of hub centreline.
Up to expand shoes
Down to release shoes

Star nearest rear shoe, adjustment access behind hub centreline.
Up to release shoes
Down to expand shoes

Righthand wheel...

Star nearest front shoe, adjustment access forward of hub centreline.
Up to release shoes
Down to expand shoes

Star nearest rear shoe, adjustment behind hub centreline.
Up to expand shoes
Down to release shoes

And that's that :y

sorry to resurrect an old post but i'm about to do this and having tried it before with no luck  i'm keen to know in advance which way to turn the handbrake adjusting star.  having looked at many pics the thread is standard right hand thread and the star is the female part.  this means on the passenger wheel  if the star is offset to the left, nearest the front shoe, meaning the male thread enters the female from the left,  then pushing on the top of the star (turning the star 'up' as you're looking at it) will pull the male thread into the female and contract (release) the shoes, not expand them as above.  have i got that wrong?

it would be nice to have a definitive answer, in the guides perhaps, there's nothing worse than fumbling about trying to get the female part to turn which is hard enough and then finding it's pushing out the male when you want to get it in.  i am aware of possible innuendo in this post.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 19:28:28 by migmog »

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2015, 19:22:44 »

Trial and error or pull the disc are the only two surefire ways :y

If it turns easily then you're slackening it, if it's tight then you're tightening it...

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2015, 19:33:27 »

trial and error is an option but ive already tried it, plus its nearly zero C out there.  i think you were onto something by checking the location of the star, near the front shoe or the rear.  i just think it is the other way - if say on the passenger wheel the star is nearest the front shoe then turning the star upwards must surely slacken the brakes. 

if the star wont turn easily it could be 5 things - pads are already tight on drum, spring is stopping star turning, thread is seized, adjuster is fully in, adjuster is fully out (pads so thin adjuster is at max before pads make contact).
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 19:38:33 by migmog »

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2015, 20:06:05 »

trial and error is an option but ive already tried it, plus its nearly zero C out there.  i think you were onto something by checking the location of the star, near the front shoe or the rear.  i just think it is the other way - if say on the passenger wheel the star is nearest the front shoe then turning the star upwards must surely slacken the brakes. 

if the star wont turn easily it could be 5 things - pads are already tight on drum, spring is stopping star turning, thread is seized, adjuster is fully in, adjuster is fully out (pads so thin adjuster is at max before pads make contact).
the star only has 5/6 points and is a snug fit on the upper shoe spring, so it's going to be tight, but slackening does feel easier...

I'm 99% positive the guide is the right way round... makes sense with it in front of you :y

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2015, 21:42:51 »

Yep spring is in awkward place  >:( I was debating to make the hole on the disc bigger so that access is more clearer , why the hell vauxhall didnt do that  :( Even if you shine a torch in you still cant see enough and its hit or miss if your turning the right way  ::) The thing to do is once you have got the correct way is mark it down on a reminder or score the drum with an arrow or paint an arrow to the direction of undoing .

Again why couldnt vauxhall stamp a simple arrow of rotation on the drum  >:(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2015, 16:20:55 »

Yep spring is in awkward place  >:( I was debating to make the hole on the disc bigger so that access is more clearer , why the hell vauxhall didnt do that  :( Even if you shine a torch in you still cant see enough and its hit or miss if your turning the right way  ::) The thing to do is once you have got the correct way is mark it down on a reminder or score the drum with an arrow or paint an arrow to the direction of undoing .

Again why couldnt vauxhall stamp a simple arrow of rotation on the drum  >:(

Because the direction depends on how it is all assembled. ;)

It's only 2 bolts to remove the caliper and it's good practice to check the condition of the shoes anyway, so I always take a look inside and verify which is the correct direction.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2015, 18:08:47 »

Because the direction depends on how it is all assembled. ;)
Exactly

It's only 2 bolts to remove the caliper and it's good practice to check the condition of the shoes anyway, so I always take a look inside and verify which is the correct direction.
Well worth doing :y
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2015, 19:52:31 »

The shoes are probably original, and knackered. And auto hand-brake adjusters are terrible for seizing.
Pull the discs, clean and replace whatever is necessary and adjust to spec. You'll be able to set the shoes so that you don't need to adjust them much.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.