Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self Leveling Suspension.  (Read 4137 times)

Mikes1670

• Hull
    • View Profile
Self Leveling Suspension.
« on: 12 July 2011, 14:30:18 »

Hi all, does anyone know the acceptable tolerance on Omega level (Elite with self leveling suspension). What I mean is when measuring from the ground to the under side of the wheel arch lip on one side compared to the other how far out can it be before you should be concerned. :P

I assume the pressure to both shocks would be regulated equally and balanced. :-?

Also, am I right in thinking that as long as the shocks don't leak they are in good order. I have also carried out the bounce check and it just goes down, then up, then stabilises instantly on both sides.

Any comments welcome. :)
Mike.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Self Leveling Suspension.
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2011, 15:08:36 »

I can only give you the measurmenst from mine which has recently had new GM shocks and YYB s/l springs.

Ignition off and car parked....665mm from ground thro centre wheel to underside of arch.

Ignition on and pump running...680mm

When ignition turned off and after a few mins car returns to 665mm

Assume alot of it is goverened by how much weight you have in the boot....mine is full to bursting with door/wood samples and brochures...I plan furniture.

Hope that helps.

Mikes1670

• Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2011, 08:10:30 »

Thanks for that. How much discrepancy do you get from one side to the other if any? :-?

My passenger side measurement is 680mm and the drivers side is 705mm (boot empty and ignition off).

I have just fitted new rear coil springs and the shocks showed no signs of leakage.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2011, 08:18:29 »

Both sides of car sit level so if you have a variants between sides I would either be expecting ..broken rear spring/defective shock/leak in air line to shock.

It may be worth trying this.

Turn ignition on and let car and pump set ride height.Switch off ignition and remove both air lines from the shocks so you release all stored air.Measure again to see if the back is level.If not the fault is as above but not the air line.

The compressor can only pump air whilst the sensor on the diff tells it to by recognising the height.

What measurements do you have then with the pump dissabled and air lines removed ?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2011, 10:01:27 »

.... and remove both air lines from the shocks so you release all stored air. ...

Each side of the car is T'd off from a single line to/from the compressor up front, so disconnecting any of the joints will reslt in the loss of pressure in all the sysytem.

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2011, 15:15:13 »

.... and remove both air lines from the shocks so you release all stored air. ...

Each side of the car is T'd off from a single line to/from the compressor up front, so disconnecting any of the joints will reslt in the loss of pressure in all the sysytem.
As Andy says. Doesn't matter where the air is released, ie just one shock air connector will do.

But yes, let the car settle on the springs only as a start then go from there.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2011, 19:13:23 »

Guys,Just curious to know what the height of the rear end goes to when the s/l pump cuts in,and how long after switching of the ignition does it take for car to go back to settled position.

Reason I ask is have just fitted s/hand pump and level sensor and have made a note of the ride heights before bits changed and now after replacing,but would like to compare with others cars.

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2011, 23:48:25 »

Depends how efficient the pump is. It will top out after two or three minutes ime. Long enough to possibly flatten the battery with ignition only. The system will raise a fault code if it's running that long and I suspect it may well time out as it suspects a leak.

It's quicker going down again. As mine is disconnected I can't test it. I didn't time it  ::)  so only guessing. If it operates through the range I really wouldnt worry.  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2011, 07:38:29 »

I have no real concernes with it now just curious as to what is regarded as the correct height.

Front measures up at 665mm...back is 665mm with ignition turned off and settled for some hours.When ignition turned on and engine/pump starts car raises to 695mm and tends to stay there.When ignition is then turned off and car left for say 1 hour thre is no difference to ride height at back..still at 695mm.

If left overnight car,s rear end returns to 665mm.

Reasons I noticed this was driving on motorway the other day I had to adjust both door mirrors as they seemed to be wrong against the visual position of the cars rear,so investigated and found back sits around 35mm higher than front when running.

Thought idea was to keep car level with the front measurements.

Mikes1670

• Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2011, 09:07:15 »

Hi all, thanks first of all, for all the constructive info.

I think I may have become a bit paranoid about this issue but it isn't until you change something like I did (fitted new S/L springs fitted) that you start to focus in on minor details.

I went out in mine yesterday and found a piece of ground as near perfect level as I could and with the engine running again measured the height to the underside of the wheel arch lip through the centre of the rear wheel from the ground and gladly found the measurement to be the same both sides 27.25" (692mm). I turned the car off and returned approx. 1 hour later - the measurement was again checked and found to be the same. :) I suspect now the original discrepancy is due to the fall/chamber on my driveway :P

Regarding the last posting relating to level and how the car sits on the road I would suspect that it would be normal for the car to sit slightly higher at the back for weight distribution, handling and braking characteristics to be achieved. I also, understand that the self leveling system is important with regard to Elite Xenon (HID) head light alignment.

Mike.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2011, 09:17:33 »

..... I also, understand that the self leveling system is important with regard to Elite Xenon (HID) head light alignment.

Mike.

Two quite separate beasts.  ;) ;) ;) You can have either one without the other, the HIDs have leveling sensors on the front & rear near side suspension, while the self leveling suspension has a sensor on the driver's side rear radius arm.  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2011, 09:19:26 »

I think I will join you in the paranoid state !!!

Your measurements seem to be pretty consistant with mine so think you and I can assume are cars are either correct or atleast identical ,which ever that might be for the better.

Intersting to know what the rear end height is with engine say switched off over night or a longer period than 1 hour.I find that the rear end does infact settle down to that of the front which is 665mm overnight so the retained air in the system must slowly be discharged ? Would have expected it to return to that of the front much quicker though...paranoia taking over again.

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2011, 15:00:29 »

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2011, 21:55:58 »

Sorry for using this thread for info. I talked to previous owner of my omega and he told me that he disconected the suspension leveling compressor because he was "playing" with it to see if it works, pumped to the highest point and then it didn't drop down on previous height. I assume he just didn't wait long enough for suspension to lower down. He then manualy released the air out till it was sitting on springs and disconected compressor.
I would rather push omega than drive renault

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2011, 22:00:55 »

If this helps at all .... on mine if I load up heavy then the pump will run and the system will rise back to "normal" height as expected. If I then "unload" with the engine off it will end up sitting "high". If I leave it overnight it will still be "high" in the morning, but as soon as I start the engine the system will "lower" it to the normal ride height.

:)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.