Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown/tin tents?  (Read 2566 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Breakdown/tin tents?
« on: 09 May 2017, 22:09:04 »

75 yr old Father Omegod is still an adventurous soul and has headed up to the lakes in his freelander2 SD4 along with his pride and joy caravan, he had an EML on last week which was coming up as cam sensor, I offered to change it but it went out and the stubborn bugger convinced himself it was fine. You can guess whats happened ::) He is now stranded and the local Land Rover dealer is booked up so can't help, AA have confirmed it's a cam sensor fault. He has recovery I believe but is flapping about the caravan only going to his home address rather than it's storage site which for some reason is a massive issue.

Anyone able to advise if it can go to a different location ? He's getting a bit stressed and is inclined to make silly decisions and I can see myself heading up with a cam sensor tomorrow after work which I don't mind at all.   
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown/tin tents?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2017, 22:18:18 »

75 yr old Father Omegod is still an adventurous soul and has headed up to the lakes in his freelander2 SD4 along with his pride and joy caravan, he had an EML on last week which was coming up as cam sensor, I offered to change it but it went out and the stubborn bugger convinced himself it was fine. You can guess whats happened ::) He is now stranded and the local Land Rover dealer is booked up so can't help, AA have confirmed it's a cam sensor fault. He has recovery I believe but is flapping about the caravan only going to his home address rather than it's storage site which for some reason is a massive issue.

Anyone able to advise if it can go to a different location ? He's getting a bit stressed and is inclined to make silly decisions and I can see myself heading up with a cam sensor tomorrow after work which I don't mind at all.   

This will depend quite simply on which recovery company and the "small print" in his agreement. It is quite common for the 'van only to be taken to the same place as the broken down car.. the recovery agreement is for the broken down car .. :(

3 possibilities IMHO ... 1) ASK the head office / controller if the 'van can be taken to a different address .. they may say yes, they may charge an additional amount ...

if they say "no" then 2) ASK the driver if he will drop the 'van off at the storage as a favour, may cost a few folding notes ...

if he says "no" 3) arrange for someone with a towcar to met you at the house and take the 'van to storage ....

:(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2017, 22:44:02 »

Oh the joy of "stubborn" Dads, bless ,em. Hope you get sorted ok and not too much stress for him, and you too. :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2017, 06:12:00 »

Surely it would only be there for a day or two until the Landy is fixed?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2017, 08:40:58 »

No help for dad right now, but I have Green Flag recovery via "Mayday" from the Caravan Club, which allows for recovery to your destination (usually holiday site) and if the prob;em isn't fixed by the end of the holiday, will recover you back home - obviously with caravan as well.

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 09:33:47 »

No help for dad right now, but I have Green Flag recovery via "Mayday" from the Caravan Club, which allows for recovery to your destination (usually holiday site) and if the prob;em isn't fixed by the end of the holiday, will recover you back home - obviously with caravan as well.

Ron.

That's the way I would go if I had a caravan. It's intended for the car AND the caravan, whereas most recovery arrangements accept that you might have a trailer.

If you actually read the contracts, you'll find that none of them are obliged to take you and your car to different destinations either.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 11:44:45 »

I suppose that's understandable, Nick, because when they recover you and your caravan, they use just the one recovery vehicle - car on platform and caravan towed behind, whereas separate destinations for car and caravan would mean two recovery vehicles. I'm not sure that even Mayday would do that.

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2017, 14:19:04 »

Get the nearest scappie to 'recover' the caravan. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2017, 14:30:15 »

He paid nigh on £30k for it so that's not going to happen  ;D Apparently a local garage is taking a look at the Freelander today so fingers crossed he gets it sorted, cheers for the replies all
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2017, 14:52:17 »

He paid nigh on £30k for it so that's not going to happen  ;D Apparently a local garage is taking a look at the Freelander today so fingers crossed he gets it sorted, cheers for the replies all

:o :o :o :o :o

£30k gets you a serious amount of 5* hotels all inclusive, for many many years.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2017, 15:05:15 »

Or an inside cabin on a world cruise :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2017, 15:16:37 »

He's done all the cruises too, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth etc etc but can't get travel insurance anymore due to health issues so the Caravan is his hobby now

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2017, 15:40:57 »

:o :o :o :o :o

£30k gets you a serious amount of 5* hotels all inclusive, for many many years.

Only if you want them ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2017, 16:28:18 »

He's done all the cruises too, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth etc etc but can't get travel insurance anymore due to health issues so the Caravan is his hobby now
And why not :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2017, 17:59:13 »

Travel Insurance has changed significantly over the last 2 years, where it is now normal to have to declare your pre-existing medical conditions and depending upon the risk the premium is calculated accordingly. Most aggregators will now quote and cover online up to a risk limit and there are brokers that will also quote and cover higher risk conditions. DM if you want contact details for one.   
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.