Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 06/2000 CDX - Rear Fog Lights not working  (Read 702 times)

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
06/2000 CDX - Rear Fog Lights not working
« on: 04 June 2010, 10:36:28 »

The rear fog lights on my June 2000 CDX Turbo Diesel Auto, have stopped working.  The warning light comes on when the switch is operated but the lamps are not working at the rear of the car.  The bulbs are fine but there is no voltage at the rear.  Any ideas would be appreciated and in particular does anyone know the route that the wires take from the switch to the rear of the car.
Thanks

Abiton

Re: 06/2000 CDX - Rear Fog Lights not working
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2010, 10:50:54 »

Does the car have a towbar?

Had this trouble on ours just before the last MOT, turned out to be in the towbar electrics socket.
There's a contact that switches the car's foglights off if you're towing, that switch had got corroded, and had lost connectivity.  Linked it out and all was well again.

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2010, 12:45:46 »

Abiton
Thank you for your reply.  My car does have a towbar but I do not appear to have anything to switch the foglamps off when towing.  However, I found a connector in the middle of the car just inside the rear boot cover (above the towbar may be a better way to describe it) and I found a wire in there that goes live when the foglamps should be on, so I think I will just connect that to the cable that comes down from the foglights.  I have just quickly tried it and it works, I just need to make it more permanent now.  I still have no idea why they failed but this seems like a relatively easy fix, albeit not the correct one!
Thanks again

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2010, 12:51:55 »

Methinks that was a towbar fitters bodge gone wrong.......

Safe fix though, just make sure you insulate it well.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2010, 13:25:19 »

Abiton
Thank you for your reply.  My car does have a towbar but I do not appear to have anything to switch the foglamps off when towing.  However, I found a connector in the middle of the car just inside the rear boot cover (above the towbar may be a better way to describe it) and I found a wire in there that goes live when the foglamps should be on, so I think I will just connect that to the cable that comes down from the foglights.  I have just quickly tried it and it works, I just need to make it more permanent now.  I still have no idea why they failed but this seems like a relatively easy fix, albeit not the correct one!
Thanks again

That wire you have found.. There should be another one emerging from the loom in the same place, with the same colour code. Connect these two together and the fog lamps should work.

These should really be connected to a contact in the towing connector which disables the fog lights when towing. They are notoriously unreliable so I don't bother. IF they are a nuisance and you happen to hit thick fog while towing you can always take the bulbs out. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2010, 14:18:40 »

Kevin
You are spot on, thank you.  I connected the 2 pins together that those wires went to in the connector (presumably it is a towing connector but I did not use it when I wired my towing electrics) and the fog lights came on.  I then realised that there is a small clip on the inside of the connector that is meant to keep those pins connected together when there is no matching connector and that is obviously where the problem lies.  Excellent, Thanks again and thanks to all who have responded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.