Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticking Lifter  (Read 9089 times)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking Lifter
« Reply #60 on: 30 December 2012, 21:02:09 »

ahem --  big end  --  ahem !

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30 December 2012, 21:03:56 »

but a big end knock & a valve lifter tap are poles apart .......  :-\ :-\

omega3000

« Reply #62 on: 31 December 2012, 11:54:26 »

Not happy at all with this tapping/rattling .. seems to be getting worse the more i drive it  :( :( :( Its definitely not big ends , but thinking more along the lines of little ends or camshaft failure . Thinking all sorts at the minute and its looking like the new year will be heading for scrap yard  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Any thoughts on what this could be  ??? If it was oil pump failure would it of seized up by now  ???
« Last Edit: 31 December 2012, 12:11:24 by EMD »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31 December 2012, 12:15:47 »

Not happy at all with this tapping/rattling .. seems to be getting worse the more i drive it  :( :( :( Its definitely not big ends , but thinking more along the lines of little ends or camshaft failure . Thinking all sorts at the minute and its looking like the new year will be heading for scrap yard  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Any thoughts on what this could be  ??? If it was oil pump failure would it of seized up by now  ???

I'd post a vid of the noise, Steve
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31 December 2012, 12:17:19 »

i honestly wouldn't fret though mate. theyre so dirt cheap on the trader, worst case scenario is you get a new one and take a bit of dough from the scrappy too. (ps, if you do end up scrapping it, which i hope you dont have to obviously, make sure you strip yours of everything valuable  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #65 on: 31 December 2012, 12:20:37 »

The noise is more of a rattle now mate which comes louder then quieter , i still think its a lifter but surely it shouldnt be getting worse after the oil change and lifter treatment  ???

i honestly wouldn't fret though mate. theyre so dirt cheap on the trader, worst case scenario is you get a new one and take a bit of dough from the scrappy too. (ps, if you do end up scrapping it, which i hope you dont have to obviously, make sure you strip yours of everything valuable  :y

Yeah hoping to keep it going till march but at this rate sure something is going to break  :( I was considering another mot but with the noise i doubt it . Will strip it all out like you say .

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 31 December 2012, 12:37:32 »

defo worth a video mate.  :y

if you do end up doing that keep EVERYTHING! i made the mistake of not getting every last bit of ralf  ;D well, having said that it wasnt rewally my fault as i dont have dcent stands and wont trust getting under there to get all the bits i wanted like te cats. should have invested in stands then. but hey hindsight is 20/20  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #67 on: 31 December 2012, 12:42:43 »

If it stops raining tomorrow ill try get video up , sad that its come to this ... going to miss the car but hey ho
when its gone its gone , plenty more omega's to play around with and cheap as chips  :'(

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 01 January 2013, 23:37:21 »

I once spent the best part of a fortnight chasing a lifter noise on an Omega. Changed lifters, cams and in the end cylinder heads on what was actually a big end failure. I could have sworn that it was a follower.

It comes down to this - I've opened maybe 20 Omega V6s over the years and I've never found one without knackered big ends. At the same time, I've never needed to change anything in the top end on any of these.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02 January 2013, 00:01:14 »

I once spent the best part of a fortnight chasing a lifter noise on an Omega. Changed lifters, cams and in the end cylinder heads on what was actually a big end failure. I could have sworn that it was a follower.

It comes down to this - I've opened maybe 20 Omega V6s over the years and I've never found one without knackered big ends. At the same time, I've never needed to change anything in the top end on any of these.

You can't say fairer than that ....... I've only ever seen failed big  ends on the Pinto Cortina engine & that was many many many moons ago.  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #70 on: 02 January 2013, 02:07:07 »

Ime it can be quite difficult to tell lifter and exhaust manifold/egr/egr pipe leaks apart.

My old 2.5 had a slight exhaust manifold leak, which went away once warm. ( obviously that would have only got worse) This sounded very similar to noisy lifter(s) on my old 3.2 cured with oil changes and wynns.

Then there was TB's rattling Mv6 after fitting LPG, where, iirc, the combination of loose egr pipe and lifer noise was blamed.

Then there's Tunnies 3.2 with suspected low oil pressure. Again, first listen sounds like lifter, but it gets worse when warm at low revs, or something like?

There's plenty of options passed lifter noise.

But as said, post a video with sound.

omega3000

« Reply #71 on: 02 January 2013, 17:21:27 »

Im putting my money on lifter/s , the noise increases and decreases with engine revs and definitely from passenger side rocker .. this does not seem like its going to go away in a hurry . Its not affecting the running/performance of the car in any way .
Im just going to run the car no matter what , ive changed the oil and treated for the lifters . If it lasts till march all well and good . Cant warrant spending anymore on the car trying to fix this then mot cambelt ect ect   ;)

There's no easy quick fix for this problem , wish there was so for now ill hope it lasts  :-\

Thanks for the advice folks anyway .

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #72 on: 02 January 2013, 17:34:05 »

Sounds like lifter from your description.  Cured mine with combination of Wynns and a couple of quick oil & filter changes.  My advice add the wynns and carry on using it - oil changes 1k and 2K miles time ;)  If the noise is getting on your nerves turn the radio up :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

omega3000

« Reply #73 on: 02 January 2013, 17:54:38 »

Sounds like lifter from your description.  Cured mine with combination of Wynns and a couple of quick oil & filter changes. My advice add the wynns and carry on using it - oil changes 1k and 2K miles time ;)  If the noise is getting on your nerves turn the radio up :y

Seems this is the only way to cure it if at all ... guess i was hoping for the noise to be gone by now after nearly 200 miles . Just a case of hearing if the noise gets worse then make a decision from there  :(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #74 on: 02 January 2013, 17:56:55 »

Mine took a lot longer than 200 miles to clear - only other way is to strip out, clean re-oil and/or replace.

Patience is supposed to be a virtue ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.