Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Pot Awful running  (Read 2387 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
4 Pot Awful running
« on: 31 January 2007, 18:15:42 »

Ok, here goes. If you saw my post in general chat, you'd know that I've bought a lemon ;D

Here's the score.

It's missfiring, like mad. It will hardly run. it's on 3 cyls AT MOST and the whole car shakes.

Let the revs off, and she cuts out.

When revving, it sounded really metallic, like a bag of nails, which worried me, but thinking about it, it was actually just pinking.

I'm 100% sure the engine has been very much messed about with.

The EML is on.

A different DIS didn't help.

When I get time I will look at it, so far I know to check:

Condition of leads and spark plugs (obvious first)
All electrical connections/earths.
Flash out and investigate fault codes
Put strobe on plug leads 1 by one and see if I can see it firing
Compression test?? (I don't have a tester)
Pop off timing belt cover, make sure cam sprokets are located on the correct keys and that the engine is timed up correctly (I get the impression some muppet has thrown this together).

I'm thinking, given the bit of sludge on the stick, it may be a head gasket issue, which is why I suggested compression test. Would a failed HG Cause it to run so badly, if not at all? After having it running for a matter of a couple of minutes, and driving a few yards, the coolant bottle seemed IMO too pressurised.

Also noticed a 3 pin electrical connector, to the left of the ECU box, is broken, but it doesn't seem important.

I'd be very very very very veeerryyy grateful for any more suggestions on what I could do to narrow this down.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Pot Awful running
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2007, 18:31:17 »

I guess flashing out fault codes is a simple start.

I have a compression tester, but as I found out with Rover, its not really long enough to get a decent seal on multivalve engines...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2007, 18:39:56 »

To be honest since it has been thrown together I'd check the following

Cam Timing, plugs, DIS, correct connections, plug leads, compression.

I would be VERY tempted to lift the head and check inside, and use new cam belt, tensioner, & waterpump.

I would check plugs, leads and connections first

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2007, 18:48:29 »

To be honest since it has been thrown together I'd check the following

Cam Timing, plugs, DIS, correct connections, plug leads, compression.

I would be VERY tempted to lift the head and check inside, and use new cam belt, tensioner, & waterpump.

I would check plugs, leads and connections first

Totally agree with your logic Martin, only thing is, this car's a shed, and the only reason I really want to get it running short term, is to test out the LPG kit!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2007, 18:49:37 »

the trouble is doing what martin suggests (which is right) will cost a few quid, its only a '95 and not really worth that much  :(

Its also had the bump, so thats going to make it even less valuable  :'(

You got the valuable LPG kit, might be worth stripping it and looking for a newer 2.0? or even 2.2 and LPG that?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2007, 18:54:13 »

the trouble is doing what martin suggests (which is right) will cost a few quid, its only a '95 and not really worth that much  :(

You got the valuable LPG kit, might be worth stripping it and looking for a newer 2.0? or even 2.2 and LPG that?

100% Agree Tunnie.

Not sure I can afford a 2.2, I was thinking save for couple of months and get maybe an S reg 2.0CD Auto with low miles.

Wonder on the feasability of transferring the LPG though....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2007, 18:59:23 »

100% Agree Tunnie.

Not sure I can afford a 2.2, I was thinking save for couple of months and get maybe an S reg 2.0CD Auto with low miles.

Martin is your man for LPG info, sod all experiance I have had with them. Also drop omegatoy a PM he knows his LPG as well, although he is not a fan of 4 pots    ::) But i am sure he can offer some advice too.

Random thought James - That project i mentioned in a PM, get that? - Use the parts from your other V6 get it running and use that as your main motor? From the photos it looks in very good condition and its an Elite  :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2007, 19:02:12 »

<-------------- Very Feasable :y

100% Agree Tunnie.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2007, 19:04:00 »

I got your PM mate, I'm chewing on it!!

Although to be honest, in terms of my own car, I'd rather stick with a 4 pot, on the basis that I'm poor and that I'd rather have an SGI gas kit than an SPI one.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2007, 19:38:08 »

Although to be honest, in terms of my own car, I'd rather stick with a 4 pot, on the basis that I'm poor and that I'd rather have an SGI gas kit than an SPI one.

Good point, underpowered as they are. Good on MPG. Was comparing it against the Senator on the way back to uni, reset the mpg leaving home, went via a m8's and on to uni, set cruise at 70 , averaged 37.9  :D

That other car would be ripe for breaking  ;)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2007, 21:49:52 »

Good point, underpowered as they are. Good on MPG. Was comparing it against the Senator on the way back to uni, reset the mpg leaving home, went via a m8's and on to uni, set cruise at 70 , averaged 37.9  :D

I think yours has LPG already Tunnie - 37.9 at 70 - I get 31/32 if I'm lucky :-[
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2007, 21:56:14 »

I think yours has LPG already Tunnie - 37.9 at 70 - I get 31/32 if I'm lucky :-[

Way way way way too low on a run for a 4 pot.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2007, 22:01:06 »

I know!  >:( And thats on Shell Optimax  >:( MAF was faulty and replaced but MPG not changed, fitted new fuel filter, cleaned out breathers,tyres 30 PSI all round.... any suggestions  :-/
« Last Edit: 31 January 2007, 22:01:52 by Chopsdad »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2007, 22:02:08 »

I know!  >:( And thats on Shell Optimax  >:( MAF was faulty and replaced but MPG not changed, fitted new fuel filter, cleaned out breathers,tyres 30 PSI all round.... any suggestions  :-/
a v6?
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2007, 22:10:34 »

a v6?

I meant helpful suggestions  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.