Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No headlights!  (Read 1381 times)

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
No headlights!
« on: 05 February 2007, 09:55:51 »

I had the warning come up on my display a few weeks ago that Head/Tail Light needed sorting.

I noticed that the n/s sidelight bulb was out so i replaced this. Subsequently the display stopped giving me warnings so i assumed all was now well in the world of illumination.
 8-)

Unfortunately i was driving at night later that day and found that my lights were totally ineffective and i couldn't see a thing unless i either put my front fogs on or put my full beam on.

I'm a little confused as to which bulb should be my headlights because all the bulbs appear to be working. As i look at the front of my car there are 3 bulbs. One on the outside near the indicator, then 2 almost one above the other.

If i put my sidelights on, the only bulbs that illuminate is the bottom one of the 2. If i turn my headlights on then the outside one near the indicators come on but not very brightly. The bottom ones of the 2 also stay on.

If i turn my Full beam on, the top ones of the 2 come on.

Does this seem like normal behaviour? I am driving to france next week and i know they are hot on headlights so i'd really appreciate any help i can get?

Is there possibly a fuse i need to change? I don't have my manual to hand to check which one it is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cambelt changed 03/12/06.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: No headlights!
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2007, 09:59:54 »

The dip beam is the projector 'golf ball' one on outside near indicator.  Not sure why they would be dim though. Are they equally dim both sides?
Grumpy old man

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2007, 10:02:01 »

I think so but will go and check.

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2007, 10:12:20 »

Ok, i have checked and both the "golf ball" projectors are dim. They would maybe be better described as just about glowing eerily. Almost in a smoky crystal ball looking way. Certainly not bright!

Any ideas?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2007, 10:21:39 »

checked wiring diags, can't see why they should be dim. Unless there is a problem with the daylight running module, but didn't think UK cars had these.

I guess its possible that the 0v connections could be dirty, but both sides?

Hopefully someone else will have some ideas....
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2007, 11:48:37 »

Can you measure the voltage across the bulb...easier on the drivers side....with the lights on....

Also pop the rubber cover off the rear behind the full beam/sidelight bulb, you should find a lever (for continental dippers), adjust this and see if there is any difference.

I have to say that I fitted some Osram Silver Star bulbs to mine for 14 quid delivered off ebay....they are much better but, do be aware they only have half the life of normal bulbs....

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2007, 13:26:27 »

Also pop the rubber cover off the rear behind the full beam/sidelight bulb, you should find a lever (for continental dippers), adjust this and see if there is any difference.

So thats what that lever is for!! As i was playing around when changing the bulb, i popped that cover off by mistake and started to try and remove the wrong bulb. While doing so i was feeling for how to get the bulb out and wrongly thought that lever was a spring clip. I must have left it in the opposite position to how it was, and i think that is probably what was wrong. Have changed it back now and it certainly seems better. Will be able to tell for certain in about 4 hours time!

Thanks guys again for your help!

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2007, 20:59:37 »

ooops  :D  Sounds like just the sort of thing I would do  ::)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.