Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Major Service Woe or Two  (Read 3710 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Major Service Woe or Two
« on: 12 January 2022, 17:14:50 »

Carried out my yearly service today, but the major one that I do every four years based on the mileage I do.

Must be getting older as everything I did was more difficult.   Usual trouble in getting to spark plug 6, but after much cursing the idiots who designed so much in the way of this plug that I have wasted hours on over the years, I finally extracted it.  But, worse to come, was when I found two of the rubber boots on the DIS Pack, on that side of the engine, had split, then the spring contact on one of them became detached from the unit, and fell off somewhere at the front of the engine; lost for now, even after much searching with a torch!!

Anyway, made temporary repairs to the two boots, then fashioned a new spring from copper wire I have in stock.  Put it all back together, fired up the engine and all works!

But, as I know my repairs are temp., contacted my Vx dealer for a new DIS Pack;  Part no 9118115 - Bosch 0221503027 Not available!!!  Even if they were, ONE would be £300+  !!!! :o :o :o

Anyway, after ringing around, looked up the part on Amazon and have now ordered via them the Bosch one from the Green Spark Plug Co. for £97-19 with Prime delivery.  I could have obtained a Starline DIS Pack from ECP for £76-55, but I much prefer an original Bosch.

So now after re-fitting the plenum and everything else, I can now look forward to stripping it all down again!! ::) ::) ::)

I also know I have a slight exhaust pipe leak which I am getting fully underneath the car tomorrow to check out.  This must be done as my MOT is due early February, so more bloody expense!

Owning a 18.5 year old Omega is never going to be easy, nor cheap, but hey ho, the one great thing I discovered today was there NO OIL in the spark plug holes.  Last time the breathers were fully cleaned it was by Serek when he replaced the cam cover gaskets, and cam belt to boot.  He must have done the great job I believed he had done! 8) 8) 8)  Needless to say I have fully cleaned ouit the breathers today.

I just wish Serek and SOS were closer, although he should be doing the cam belt this year. ;)
« Last Edit: 12 January 2022, 17:17:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Major Service Woe or Two
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2022, 17:22:56 »

You don't need a new pack; the boots off another, failed one would do. Somebody here is bound to have some.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2022, 17:30:57 »

You don't need a new pack; the boots off another, failed one would do. Somebody here is bound to have some.

Thanks Nick, but the missing spring is the problem and although with great expertise ( ;D ;D)  I have fashioned a replacement, I know it is only a temp. repair.  The DIS Pack may go anytime I believe, given its age, so I have jumped in with both feet to get a good replacement whilst I can!

Once again though Nick, thanks for your advise which as always is most welcome! :-* :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2022, 17:31:07 »

Also if its the coil pack over the 2/4/6 bank, no need to remove plenum.  I used to be able to do mine in about 15mins, and that included removing the LPG injectors, though my plastic cable tray was on the shelf in the garage, so that saved a few minutes ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2022, 17:32:47 »

The coil packs probably need replacing occasionally on these anyway.  If the old one is still servicable (not swelling or clear rust visible where the plastic gets hairline cracks, keep as a spare, and acquire some replacement boots.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2022, 17:34:31 »

Also if its the coil pack over the 2/4/6 bank, no need to remove plenum.  I used to be able to do mine in about 15mins, and that included removing the LPG injectors, though my plastic cable tray was on the shelf in the garage, so that saved a few minutes ;D

That's interesting and useful TB.   :y :y

If I can do that it will certainly save me time (and much cursing!).  My plastic cable tray is still in place, so perhaps I should try and remove it?

I seem to remember on a past 3.0 I did do that :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2022, 17:36:29 »

The coil packs probably need replacing occasionally on these anyway.  If the old one is still servicable (not swelling or clear rust visible where the plastic gets hairline cracks, keep as a spare, and acquire some replacement boots.

Good thinking!  Along with Nick's great advice, I will do that :y :y

Any spare boots out there anyone?? ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2022, 17:41:09 »

I have a knackered 135 coil pack somewhere. It's cracked and rusty but the rubbers are fine. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2022, 17:44:48 »

I have a knackered 135 coil pack somewhere. It's cracked and rusty but the rubbers are fine. :y

That's very kind of you Opti! :-* :-*

I take it the 135 coil pack is the same as my DIS Pack on my 3.2?  If so send me a PM and I will pay you to send just the three boots for spares.  Many thanks.  8) 8) :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2022, 17:55:36 »

Your Omega doesnt have a DIS, it has coil packs
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2022, 17:59:34 »

Your Omega doesnt have a DIS, it has coil packs

Really?  The part I am buying (with pictures that are the same as mine) is described as a "DIS Pack".  I remember replacing the unit behind the engine that distributed the sparks on a long gone 3.0, and I thought that was a coil pack.

Well, as I always say, we never stop learning; everyday a school day! ;D ;D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2022, 18:14:22 »

My understanding is a DIS is the term usually used for a wasted spark, and coil/coilpack for non wasted spark?
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2022, 18:24:27 »

My understanding is a DIS is the term usually used for a wasted spark, and coil/coilpack for non wasted spark?

Now, not for the first time TB, I am lost in that technical assessment!  I have not got a bloody clue now! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2022, 18:29:24 »

Coil over plug would be an accurate assessment.

Plugs on the 2.6/3.2 are a twenty minute job every time.

Also, you're looking in the wrong place for GM parts. But you already know that.
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.