Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: This one is a manual  (Read 3434 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: This one is a manual
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2016, 21:10:43 »

Collected the car today despite the heat. It came with just one key, the log book, and web download of the MOT. No history, no other documentation, no clues, just one child's sock and a toothpick. EML was on when collected, but code reader came up P0420 catalyst bank 1 not efficient, which I cancelled. Car came with 5 good tyres, but only 17 wheelnuts, which explains the front wheels being out of balance No oil in coolant, oil was dirty, level was high.
All used cars I buy are interesting, and this one is no exception.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2016, 12:04:19 »

I bought a 2.5 manual saloon last year for £170 . It smoked from the cam covers all the way home on the 80 mile journey back , further investigation showed nearly as much oil in the plug wells as in the sump !
The car drove really well considering it had no service history either  :) All it needed was a service and new cam gaskets . Tough as old boots the v6 but the 4 pot engines can't take much abuse with lack of servicing . Seems to be loads of 2.2 out there with h/g failure  :(
Omegatitis

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2016, 19:23:23 »

Aren't Omegas cheap these days! You can buy and enjoy a luxury car for under £200 if you have the knowledge and energy to keep it going. I agree the 2.5 is a good choice, though last year I scrapped one 2.5 for rust, and had to change the clutch slave cylinder in another.
It is strange to sell a car in auction without any service history, it must discourage bidders and lower the price. You and I have bought such cars, hopefully without regret. I regard it as a gamble, and find it exciting.

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2016, 07:41:41 »

I quite like the excitement of buying cars online.  I very rarely go and see the car first, as most cars that I buy are at the lower end of the market so travelling anything but a few miles to see a car that's only worth a few quid is pointless.  I usually ask as many questions as possible beforehand though, and I usually get a good feel as to whether the car is worthwhile or not.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2016, 08:17:03 »

I bought my ex-police Senators at West Oxford Motor Auctions, Witney. It did not help very much seeing the cars, they were all locked, all I could do was peer through the windows. It took all day to get there, look at the cars, sit through the auction, and bid. Then I had to go home, organise insurance, raise funds, and return later to collect the car. I was paying about £3000 for a 3 year old Senator.

Winning bids at WOMA were provisional, havimg to be accepted by the vendors. I witnessed one guy in despair, having won the auction only to have his winning bid rejected by the vendor. WOMA charged a 5% buyer's premium, so I was bidding in guineas, not pounds.

I much prefer e-bay.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2016, 08:54:02 »

Winning bid, £196  ;D

So my 2.2 has 191k compared to 144k on that example, although mine does have LPG.

Must make my 2.2 worth about £75  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.