Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: windscreen rubber  (Read 2449 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
windscreen rubber
« on: 05 April 2021, 14:16:06 »

Hi all...
2003 CD 2.6....... the windscreen rubber is perishing fast all round the screen. I understand these screens are complex, but is it possible to just fit a new rubber without taking the whole screen out. I have used the search system, but am a bit confused.
Thanks  :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: windscreen rubber
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2021, 16:20:01 »

Not really. The frame and rubber trim (perished) are generally fitted to the screen before it is fitted as they set the screen position in the aperture.

That said, it is technically possible to fit it after the fact with two caveats:

1. The screen was fitted correctly, in the correct position and the rubber currently sits flat all around. (If the corners are visibly proud relative to the rest, then the screen is in the wrong place).

2. The replacement rubber is compatible with the existing frames and the frames are not loose. If the frames are loose, then the screen needs removing to fit new ones.

Others will probably swear that up is down and the moon is made of cheddar, but that's the bones of it :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2021, 16:46:56 »

Yes, you can fit a new ''goalpost' rubber (the sides and top in one piece) and the lower moulding without removing the screen or retainers. I did it last year and it sits perfectly.
Upper moulding (goalpost) 90460335
Lower moulding (base of screen) 9175100
Both are becoming a bit scarce but were still available last summer, because I bought a set. Autovaux are cheaper than VX for genuine VX items and they will deliver it. The goalpost mouldings are in a large box for protection and won't go in your average saloon.
I have found the best way to remove them without damaging or loosening the retainer is to use a right angled pick tool, and once one end of the tongue on the moulding is started, slide the pick around the moulding between the bottom of the tongue and the retainer to release the tongue. This minimises the pressure on the retainer, which may be damaged if you just try to yank it out.
Prior to reassembly, carefully clean out the groove in the retainer of grit etc.  I put a thin smear of red rubber grease on the tongue which helps it to slide into the groove in the retainer. Without a bit of lube, it is easy to damage the tongue which itself is thin hard plastic. Endsuring it's correctly positioned relative to the top corners, just feed it in with your thumb all the way round and bobs yer uncle!
A helper to hold the goalpost moulding makes it a bit easier.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2021, 18:47:56 »

Thanks for the replies chaps. The screen is original. its just the rubber that is likely to disintegrate any time. The bottom moulding is fine. The rubber has just started lifting from the glass along the top, but as I say, it's well knackered, and the screen is as tight as a drum.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2021, 21:33:47 »

Is a perished rubber an MOT failure. I will ring Vauxhall and see if I can get a rubber seal. If not, I suppose its a scrap. At least get a few quid back on it. :(
If its not an MOT issue, and I can't get the rubber, I may have to try and fashion something out of Gorilla tape, to hold it all together. Swmbo muttering 'scrap it' :(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2021, 21:48:53 »

Definately not an MOT failure even if you took it off and went without one. Bit drastic if you are thinking about scrapping it because of that though. Expect to pay around £60 - 70 for a VX rubber moulding,  (although I wonder sometimes if responses to questions are read properly ::) but Autovaux are cheaper than VX for a genuine one AND will DELIVER it).
However if you think that the car is that bad that it is near to being scrapped just for a moulding, mouldings are worthless to scrapyards, so I'd get a good one off a breaker, removing as described above so as not to deform it for probably just a few quid.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2021, 22:22:56 »

Scrapping it is the last thing I want to do. Been searching around. Tried Autovaux as suggested, but the part number throws up a blank. That's why I will ring Vauxhall. Price (within sensible reason) is not a problem. Will probably ring Autovaux first, worth a try. Websites do not always match. The car has no rust, has 79,000 on the clock. Problem is, I am not familiar with scrapyards, and am not well enough nowadays to go scrabbling over scrapped cars. Hopefully Vauxhall in Banbury or Autovaux will  come up with the goods  :y If it take a few weeks, so be it, as long as I can get one

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2021, 22:51:21 »

Just visited the Autovaux website and the goalpost mouldings are showing as in stock and reduced from £60 down to £33.41 including VAT.
Sounds like a bargain, (I paid quite a bit more than that at VX and they give me a decent discount!) and I doubt you will get that discount at Vauxhall! Because it's been discounted to below £50, you will have to pay for delivery, but still worth it as you can't get the box into the majority of vehicles, and they won't take kindly to being bent to get it in....
Here's a link to their website -
https://www.autovaux.co.uk/90460335-moulding-gp90460335

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2021, 11:48:55 »

Just tried your link, but no way to add to cart (I am registered with them). So I phoned, and they said no response from Supplier. So I have now emailed the details, so will wait and see.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2021, 12:09:14 »

That sounds very much like they are palming off pattern tat as genuine :-X

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2021, 14:19:17 »

Can't comment about that, but an OOF'er on here local to me bought one from Autovaux in October last year. Then it was priced at £59 including VAT and delivery to his door. Contact at Autovaux was Liam Robson. A genuine VX part in a sealed carton with the hologram which was ordered from Germany, but at the time there was only 2 left apparantly.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2021, 18:10:53 »

Why else would they be 'waiting for their supplier to reply'?

If it's genuine, you might as well cut out the middleman and buy it from VX direct (or GM in the States... Cadillac is still a GM brand)...

https://parts.arniebauer.com/p/Cadillac__Catera/Windshield-Molding-Upper/49898048/90460335.html

If it's not genuine, then you may as well buy if from another supplier for less.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=382959040885&category=6763&pm=1&ds=0&t=1617728873513&cspheader=1&oversion=a9bb8668

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2021, 21:05:23 »

Autovaux .....not available, Evans Halshaw Vauxhall....not available,
Tried various places, including 24/7 car parts....nothing.
Then stumbled upon Vauxhall Green Parts....bingo...one new one 90460335 in stock :y :y :y :y

And, evidently, as Johnnydog mentioned, its coming in a very large box !!!!
« Last Edit: 06 April 2021, 21:11:34 by Tainted Tony »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2021, 21:15:10 »

If they physically have it on the shelf then you should be ok, but be wary of people who list items that subsequently cannot be ordered in ;)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2021, 21:30:30 »

According to them, it is being couriered to me tomorrow (from them) :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.