Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3074435 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #24000 on: 25 June 2022, 17:46:08 »

It saves approx. £1000 per year in fuel compared to using the Omega. Hateful ittle bastards dont come cheap at the moment. Hence wanting to fix it if possible.
I have this nagging feeling that it might be something simple that Im overlooking.  ???
If it's worth saving get a second opinion from someone who knows the engine. It might cost a few Bob, but worth it if you can get it running.

Not that easy when I cant take it somewhere. My experience of expensive mobile mechanics is that they often know less than I do.
Ive been posting about it on the Renault forum, and it seems to have the resident "experts" stumped.
Ive had another fiddle with it - bypassed the filter and connected the supply pipe up to the pump to a pipe running into a jug of diesel.
It sucks the diesel up and it comes back down the return pipe, so Im guessing its getting pumped to the injectors, but they arent firing it into the cylinders so the engine can start.
So what would stop the injectors from firing ?
Crank sensor coincidentally failed when the cambelt jumped teeth ? Its at the gearbox end of the engine so very doubtful.
Cam sensor - its possible the wiring to that has got damaged internally, but I think that would make it run rough rather than not at all.
Would probably throw up its own fault code too ?
I really am stumped, but still have a feeling its just something Im overlooking.
Very tempted indeed to just scrap it, but cant really afford to replace it without selling the Boxster, which I really dont want to do.
Also buying another small cheap car, could be buying another unreliable heap of shite and I might be no further forward.
Will have to resolve it somehow soon though, as £13 a day in petrol in the Omega just to get to work isnt sustainable in the long term.

For a cheap reliable car, that's fun to drive,and cheap on fuel, I've got a K12 Micra,, absolutely fun to drive, 5th gear everywhere,..
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24001 on: 25 June 2022, 17:57:29 »

It saves approx. £1000 per year in fuel compared to using the Omega. Hateful ittle bastards dont come cheap at the moment. Hence wanting to fix it if possible.
I have this nagging feeling that it might be something simple that Im overlooking.  ???
If it's worth saving get a second opinion from someone who knows the engine. It might cost a few Bob, but worth it if you can get it running.

Not that easy when I cant take it somewhere. My experience of expensive mobile mechanics is that they often know less than I do.
Ive been posting about it on the Renault forum, and it seems to have the resident "experts" stumped.
Ive had another fiddle with it - bypassed the filter and connected the supply pipe up to the pump to a pipe running into a jug of diesel.
It sucks the diesel up and it comes back down the return pipe, so Im guessing its getting pumped to the injectors, but they arent firing it into the cylinders so the engine can start.
Crank sensor coincidentally failed when the cambelt jumped teeth ? Its at the gearbox end of the engine so very doubtful.
Cam sensor - its possible the wiring to that has got damaged internally, but I think that would make it run rough rather than not at all.
I really am stumped, but still have a feeling its just something Im overlooking.
Very tempted indeed to just scrap it, but cant really afford to replace it without selling the Boxster, which I really dont want to do.
Also buying another small cheap car, could be buying another unreliable heap of shite and I might be no further forward.
Will have to resolve it somehow soon though, as £13 a day in petrol in the Omega just to get to work isnt sustainable in the long term.

For a cheap reliable car, that's fun to drive,and cheap on fuel, I've got a K12 Micra,, absolutely fun to drive, 5th gear everywhere,..
As Albs said earlier, though, nothing is cheap to buy now, esp cars that are economical.
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24002 on: 25 June 2022, 18:58:54 »

Well, I,ve just had it running. Was charging the battery today. Just put it back on , turned the key and off it went.
Engine fault light was on, read the codes and got one for cam sensor. Then realised the cam sensor was sat on the seat beside me.  :D
Put it back on and plugged it in, turned the key and it would start. Took the cam sensor off again and tried again but it still didnt start.
So Im now as confused as ever.  ??? :-\ ::)
It did sound ok though when it was running.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24003 on: 25 June 2022, 19:34:38 »

maybe disconnecting the battery is resetting a stuck relay or clearing something in the ECU  :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24004 on: 25 June 2022, 19:50:44 »

Well, I,ve just had it running. Was charging the battery today. Just put it back on , turned the key and off it went.
Engine fault light was on, read the codes and got one for cam sensor. Then realised the cam sensor was sat on the seat beside me.  :D
Put it back on and plugged it in, turned the key and it would start. Took the cam sensor off again and tried again but it still didnt start.
So Im now as confused as ever.  ??? :-\ ::)
It did sound ok though when it was running.

It ran before the belt jumped teeth so has to be connected,have you checked the woodruff keys on cam and crank to make sure one hasn't moved enough to cock the timing up ,may not be enough to bend anything but could make it bitch to start
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24005 on: 25 June 2022, 20:31:38 »

Good thinking.  :y
Pretty sure the one on the crank is ok, but havent looked at the one on the cam.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24006 on: 26 June 2022, 01:24:11 »

Washed the Alabama Mumsybus. First time since March :-[
Onanists always think outside the box.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24007 on: 26 June 2022, 06:58:40 »

Had a long trip up to Wakefield for a gathering of V8,s
One of those meets where mine was the car with he least amount of BHP
Much decibels was to be heard with the VXR8,s arriving
Mare of a journey home when the A1 got closed at the M18 junction

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24008 on: 26 June 2022, 15:33:26 »

As Albs said earlier, though, nothing is cheap to buy now, esp cars that are economical.

£1000. Will get you a Micra. There's a few around £800. 

And you won't lose money on them, as Abdul pizza delivery boyos love em.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24009 on: 26 June 2022, 17:10:28 »

Could be a possibilty. What sort of realistic MPG are they good for ?

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24010 on: 26 June 2022, 17:23:37 »

Could be a possibilty. What sort of realistic MPG are they good for ?
It doesn't sound to me as if Pierre needs that much fettling to get going. You said it was running fine, albeit minus cam sensor. Don't give up.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24011 on: 26 June 2022, 17:25:32 »

£1000. Will get you a Micra. There's a few around £800. 

And you won't lose money on them, as Abdul pizza delivery boyos love em.

An £800 Micra is actually £1600 worth of rust repair.

A £1000 budget for a small car means a Fiesta or Corsa. Petrol and manual, ONLY. The characteristic faults are simple and cheap to fix.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24012 on: 26 June 2022, 19:14:55 »

I keep eyeing up a P Reg Saab 9-5/9000 saloon on my commute...

Might be an interesting distraction :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24013 on: 26 June 2022, 19:49:08 »

Sounds to me like the cam timing is out on the pile of French poo. I know someone who did a head gasket and then it was a bitch to start, turned out cam was a tooth out.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24014 on: 26 June 2022, 19:51:47 »

I keep eyeing up a P Reg Saab 9-5/9000 saloon on my commute...

Might be an interesting distraction :D

The old 9000 was a pretty bullet proof car in its day

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.