Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to the L322 Range Rover  (Read 10421 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Guide to the L322 Range Rover
« on: 07 June 2015, 13:57:50 »

This is to serve as a quick guide to the L322 Range Rover (2002-2012)

It will be broken down into 3 posts covering the 2002-2005, 2005-2009, 2010+ models

2002-2005

The L322 was introduced in 2002, press vehicles are available on the ‘51’ plate, all standard ordered vehicles are ‘02’ onwards.

Engines
At this time Land Rover was BMW owned, hence the vast use of BMW parts and engines.

4.4 V8—282 BHP, 0-60 8.1 seconds.
If looked after a very good engine, but neglect will cause issues with the cooling systems and timing chains (vanos unit)
With a 100 litre fuel tank, you’re likely to see 400 miles range. Water pumps were originally plastic, can be upgraded to a metal type. Breather hoses to be changed every 50,000. Service parts cheap, easy to find.
If looked after, will do high mileage, I had one with 232,000 on original engine. However, had one with 70,000 that had been neglected and needed timing chain work. Common faults, are PCV hoses cracked leading to poor MPG, rear coolant hose above gearbox can split causing severe coolant loss. Head gasket faults only really occur with neglect, not a ‘common’ fault.
If I were buying an unknown 4.4 V8 to keep, I would change the water pump and radiator, all breather hoses and ensure regular oil changes.

3.0 TD6—179BHP, 0-60 12.7 seconds
A very reliable unit, uncommon to see issues. Turbo failiure’s are no more frequent than any other diesel engine. I know someone who breaks L322’s, and he has a massive stock of TD6 engines, as he says they never seem to go wrong. There is no DPF. Regular oil services will keep it performing well. Not a fast vehicle though! Tuning/chips available, and do make a big difference, but gearbox considerations need to be made...more to follow on that.

Gearbox—Different gearbox in pertrol and diesel, both 5 speed.
Generally speaking in the V8, not many issues, if the main radiator lower fins are clogged weith sediment it will causes issues for the transmission cooler. ‘Overheat transmission’ may appear on the dash.
The TD6’s gearbox will never last the life of the vehicle, sadly this is a fact! They’ll do anywhere between 90,000—120,000 miles
Budget £2,000 for replacement / recondition. If I were buying a TD6 to keep, I would buy one that’s already had one, or budget for a £2k spend. That is the TD6’s weakness.

General

Air Suspension, A much improved system over the P38. Front airbag units cost circa £220 each side, rear bags are cheap and never really fail. Compressor lives under spare wheel in rear boot floor. Around £250 to replace.

Audio—On the 2002-2005 model’s, a BMW unit is used, not a bad system. The Sat Nav is non post code and non touch screen. You can update the standard Sat Nav computer from the MK3 to MK4 BMW unit, giving you post code and 3d map function.
All of the audio units live in the N/S/R boot compartment . Amp, sat nav, TV etc. This area can be subject to water ingress. This kills the units. So always check this area for water ingress, as replacement units are costly.

Wing mirrors, fold flat function...over time they become lose and flap around somewhat.
Interior, hard wearing roubst design.

Specification

At this age the following three are available;
SE, HSE, Vogue

SE– No one ever bought one, came with nothing really. Best avoided!

HSE—Xenon’s, 6 cd changer and radio, parking sensors, unique HSE style seats, 18’’ alloys

Vogue—Above HSE spec comes with Sat Nav, sunroof, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, leather dash top, unique Vogue seats which are far more comfortable and have better adjustment. 19’’ alloys, all specs have full size spares. Even the 20’’ wheel option has a full size spare.

To identify a 2002-2005 model, look for square headlights with headlight wipers. Rear light units will be amber to the top and red to the lower part.

Prices start at £2,600 for a something needing work, but £4,500 - £5,500 will get you a 2002/2003 in reasonable/good order.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to the L322 Range Rover
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2015, 14:34:29 »

2005-2009

The 2006 model year, saw some good upgrades and a mild exterior facelift. Can be found on the ‘05’ plate, typically all ‘55’ plates are 06my.

Engines
3.0 TD6 remains, with same gearbox

4.4 BMW V8 is replaced with a Jaguar sourced 4.4 V8, known as an AJV8
This engines produces 305 bhp, and is pretty much bullet proof. A little quieter, faster and mildly better MPG. It really is a better engine than the BMW V8. Service parts are again cheap and easy to find.

4.2 Superchagred V8 is introduced. Again, Jag sourced, so very similar to engine used in the XJR. (AJV8) 400bhp

A great drive, incredible power. A very reliable engine, with only a few common faults. One is the aux coolant pump being wired the wrong way around from the factory, leading to ‘reduced engine performance’ on the dash. Something Land Rover will to attend to FOC, if not already done.

Both of the V8’s use a 6 speed gearbox (ZF6HP26) A very reliable unit, few problems really.

Exterior & Interior Enhancements
A new front end was fitted, the headlights protrude into the front grill, with a new front bumper, no headlight wipers. The 4.4 V8 and TD6 come with a standard slatted grill. The SC comes with its own mesh type grill. A very popular upgrade for owners, was to fit the SC grill.
New door mirrors fitted. Slightly larger, no flap issues of the older one’s. You can tell the new door mirrors by the fact they have a line running horizontally through the centre of them on the outside cover.

Interior sees changes to the audio and nav system.
A touch screen based system with full post code function, integrated reversing camera, Bluetooth, venture cam (wireless camera that displays image on screen)
The interior pretty much is the same as the 2002 models. The SC models come with Piano Black wood trim, and unique SC accelerator and brake pedals.

The rear lamps change to clear upper and red lower on the 4.4 V8 and TD6 models. The SC models have unique all clear rear lights.

Specification;
You can now order a Vogue SE, which comes with 20’’ alloys, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) and Vogue SE style seats

SC comes with 20'' alloys, RSE, visible dual exhausts, semi aniline leather.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2015, 14:47:13 »

2007 model year

Sees deletion of TD6 and replacement with a 3.6 TDV8 unit.
4.2 SC continues, as does the AJV8 4.4...but is soon discontinued in late 2007

272bhp, much better MPG, can now hit high 20's, low 30's.

Quite a complicated engine, turbo failures are really the major problem. It is a twin turbo design, the cost for replacement can be circa £3,500

Exterior stays the same. However, the interior receives a revamp. New seats, different placement of switches in the cabin. Ignition key moves from transmission tunnel area to left hand side of steering wheel. Handbrake is now electronic.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2015, 18:17:17 »

Absolutely superb. Thanks.  :y :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2015, 19:34:02 »

That is a detailed guide, thank you  :y
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2015, 20:14:23 »

I enjoyed that. Bookmarked. Thanks  :y

*Trots off to buy a SC Range Rover*  :D
« Last Edit: 07 June 2015, 20:19:03 by X30XE »
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2015, 23:00:09 »

Also bear in mind that from March 06 all of the Rangeys  become  circa £500 a year to tax,another cost to factor in.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2015, 18:01:39 »

A Range Rover buyers guide on a Vauxhall site ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.