Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a letter from the DVLA today.  (Read 964 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Got a letter from the DVLA today.
« on: 29 September 2021, 15:44:34 »

Apparently I have an hgv licence, and they were wondering if I would like to use it...  ;D

It was full of helpful, promising words like might, and possibly and appreciation.

I might write back and ask if sending a letter to every hgv licence holder is a constructive use of their resources :-X

Current part time gig is a temporary alternative to overtime and is basically spending money for my impending hollibobs.

Fixing really expensive Lego is far more interesting/challenging/enjoyable...and hour for hour pays better.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Got a letter from the DVLA today.
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2021, 15:51:47 »

They are writing to retired drivers, too. Desperate times require desperate measures.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2021, 16:21:02 »

They are writing to retired drivers, too. Desperate times require desperate measures.
During my assessment session at Herpes, the chap conducting it was asked at least three times about earlier candidates wanting to know when they would be starting... Never was the reply... The manager asking the question looked a bit surprised, so he elaborated... One hit the curb three times, another reversed into a fence instead of pulling forward and a third took out the gatepost... So of three candidates, two didn't leave the yard. :o And all the while they must have rung fifteen people who had applied for day shifts and passed the assessment to ask if they would be prepared to work nights... Only one said yes.

As an aside, at the end of every shift so far, the assessor has had something to say about the paperwork... Today's was not writing the full reg number on a defect sheet. Last week. That he checked in front of me. And signed to say he checked it. Which was obviously my fault. "it's not a bollocking, just helping you protect yourself in case you get stopped. Because it's a legal document etc"

And they wonder why no one wants to work there.  :-X

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2021, 17:02:01 »

Drivers, whether long distance overnight, multi drop local or just plain delivering in their own car, have always been treated like shit by these companies. I hope some good will come of this situation.
Diesel till I die

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2021, 18:45:27 »

Drivers, whether long distance overnight, multi drop local or just plain delivering in their own car, have always been treated like shit by these companies. I hope some good will come of this situation.
:y :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2021, 18:58:09 »

I had a driving job back in 1989 multi drop office equipment & associated supplies,  did it for just over a year covering around 2,000 miles per week, enjoyed at first but when I was made redundant was  pleased as I was no longer racing against the clock, the conditions I've seen recently at truck stops leaves a lot to be desired.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2021, 19:43:13 »

Once you get away from the hubs and primary depots, most of it is sub contracted.

The better companies take some responsibility for the people who work for them. Those driven by greed sub out the end product and with it, their responsibilities. Like Amazon, for example.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2021, 19:58:21 by Doctor Gollum »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2021, 12:13:11 »

The better companies take some responsibility for the people who work for them. Those driven by greed sub out the end product and with it, their responsibilities. Like Amazon, for example.
And Herpes.  That said, our local delivery lady is pretty keen :).  But every time I post something via Herpes, I can guarantee it will be late.

About 3 weeks ago, our drop off point in Brakkers didn't have a collection for over a week, and parcels were piling up in the aisle of the (Co-op) shop. Bless 'em.  Sadly, one of mine parcels was in there, making it late to reach it's buyer  >:(
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2021, 15:17:39 »

My parcel due today is still at the hub. It took three days to get there from Birmingham.  :-X

I used to have a policy of never working for a company whose services I wouldn't recommend. I am strongly considering re enforcing it...

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2021, 15:19:45 »

My parcel due today is still at the hub. It took three days to get there from Birmingham.  :-X

I used to have a policy of never working for a company whose services I wouldn't recommend. I am strongly considering re enforcing it...
In today's world, not working for a company who's services you wouldn't recommend will seriously limit your choices.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2021, 15:43:07 »

Quite possibly, although I suppose the real question boils down to whether that's a hill worth dying on... metaphorically speaking.

As an agency bod I have refused to do work for a former employer on the basis that I refused to participate in anything that helped facilitate their existence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.