Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holts TyreWeld?  (Read 2471 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Holts TyreWeld?
« on: 23 February 2008, 13:35:16 »

Wife’s car had a flat tyre yesterday. It was cold, and I was lazy, and we don’t have HomeStart, so I decided to do the poorman’s fix and use Holts TyreWeld instead of changing the tyre (yes, the car has a full-size spare).

The instructions on the can say that the bottle need to be agitated vigorously, which I can manage, and if the weather is cold it should be warmed.... now form pseudo-scientific experiments carried out in my youth I know that warming an aerosol can with a cigarette lighter is not a good idea... so the other option was to tuck the cold metal can under my shirt. Brrrr....

OK, got that sorted, connected the tube to the tyre and opened the valve at the top of the can... lots of foamy goo seem to rush from the can into the wheel for a few seconds, then nothing... the instructions say to wait until the entire contents of the can has been transferred to the wheel, but problem was the can was still well over half full... so I waited for 10 minutes, then gave up and disconnected the tube.

The whole process made no impression on the tyre, which remained just as uninflated as it was when I started the process. So at this stage I took out the footpump and inflated the tyre to around 15psi, just enough to drive slowly to the petrol station (not forgetting to take a 50p coin with me, nothing is free in London...). Footpumping the tyre took around half an hour.... so by this time I was one hour from when I started. Changing the wheel would have been quicker.

Also, the instructions say that you need to drive immediately 6 to 12 miles to ensure even distribution of the stuff inside the tyre... yeah, sure in central London... with roadworks, traffic lights, and general congestion.... no way.

At the local Tesco garage, I tried inflating the tyre further, but the problem was that the valve was full of the sticky gooey stuff, and this seems to confuse the air compressor. I tried it inflate it to 40psi, but the reading kept changing between 5psi and 25psi and the pump stopped. I think it was not able to sense the tyre pressure correctly. So eventually I gave up and drove away, at this point I had around 20psi in the tyre.

Took the car to the ATS branch, they fixed the hole which was done by a screw (probably from the nearby Gordon Ramsey pub that has been undergoing renovation). Cost of fixing the tyre was around a tenner, plus a fiver for wheel balancing (each), and a new valve and VAT, total £25. By the way, the guy at ATS said that the TyreWeld stuff can ruin the tyre, and that I was lucky it did not cause any damage...

My question is – has anyone ever tried using the likes of TyreWeld  and was successful? Or is it just me?

« Last Edit: 23 February 2008, 14:40:42 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Holts TyreWeld?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2008, 13:44:08 »

Rant over...  ;D

Good luck to those of you who are at the cambelt party  :y

Waiting for the pics.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Debs.

« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2008, 13:52:28 »

I`ve not used it but have wondered about the whole concept (and consequences ) of putting a 'goo' into such a critical item as a car-tyre.
I could perhaps see the concept being very useful; for examle on a mountain bike puncture out in the wilds.

My nephew`s GF has a (brand-new) BMW Mini-Cooper and I`m told that has a tyre reinflation button which pumps 'goo' in to the flat tyre to "get you home" (not like the Humvee system using an air-compressor)

Funny how tyres always go flat on the bottom!  ;D

The Elite

• Intermediate Member
  • Herts
  • Fuel duty still sucks...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2008, 14:29:01 »

Tyreweld is just as crap as rad weld, makes a mess of your rims and 9 times out of 10 does sweet FA. I've used it a couple of times and had no success with it what so ever. In my opinion blu-tac would have been more effective!
Mig 3 coming soon.... Watch this space!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2008, 14:35:46 »

Well when I first got this car and discovered that the locking nuts wouldn't budge, I carried a can of tyreweld with me 'just in case!'

Three drill bits, one hammer and two new locking keys later I (well took three people actually) got the b***** things off!
Needless to say that the new ones were put on with a smear of copper ease and torqued correctly.

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2008, 06:15:13 »

I've used Tyreweld, I was struggling to get wheel nuts off. Eventually the wheel did blow up enough to get home, but as previously mentioned it scrapped the tyre and valve. The tyre fitter said the stuff was a nightmare for them but it did save me a garage call out fee to remove the wheel nuts.
PS the nuts had been fitted by an over zealous tyre fitter.
best wishes
Simon.

zippo

• Omega Baron
  • manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2008, 09:02:58 »

I've used Tyreweld, I was struggling to get wheel nuts off. Eventually the wheel did blow up enough to get home, but as previously mentioned it scrapped the tyre and valve. The tyre fitter said the stuff was a nightmare for them but it did save me a garage call out fee to remove the wheel nuts.
PS the nuts had been fitted by an over zealous tyre fitter.
[/highlight]

ive fell out with more than one tyre fitter for being over zealous with an air gun, the most recent reply to why  the need for them to be so tight was "you don't change 'em do you" "any way i like the noise it makes" He didn't keep his job

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2008, 11:06:48 »

I remember seeing a kit that allows you to insert a rubber plug into a puncture hole, and they are supposed to be very good, although you do have to find the hole first, of course.

Tyre weld is OK as an emergency measure for trailers, etc but I would not use it if I had a spare.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2008, 12:13:32 »

Hi
I bought one of these type of kits,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Kit_W0QQitemZ230223594297QQihZ013QQcategoryZ21669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and bought some spare strips like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Emergency-TIRE-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-STRIP-Car-Bike-Van_W0QQitemZ360024333107QQihZ023QQcategoryZ109122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have used it twice now very succesfully, and did not have to take wheels off, I would add on both occasions it was the usual nail or screw.
And I did make sure it was in the legal area for repairing a tyre.
Those liquid sealers do not seam to care what they repair, they will even repair a hole in the sidewall !!! now how dangerous is that.

Mike

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2008, 12:46:46 »

That looks like the type of thing I had in mind...

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

DaveyDavey

• Intermediate Member
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2008, 15:28:36 »

I have no faith in those sorts of products.

After I bought my bike I had a new set of tyres put on it and when the back one came off the inside was coated in some sort of green gunk. Turns out that this stuff was some form of tyreweld stuff to cure a puncture. I'd been riding around on it for a month or so by that point.

The problem was that it was not evenly distributed throughout the inside of the tyre and had dried to form an uneven coating inside, which could lead to instability.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2008, 23:13:06 »

My daily car is a new Citroen, it does not have a spare wheel, it has a mini compressor and a can of tyre sealant, no idea of how good it is.
I have used Holts stuff in the past, not for a puncture, but to seal porus wheels with some sucess.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2008, 23:33:27 »

its all crap ruins tyres and attacks alloy !! knackers the valve and causes all sorts of hasslle  >:(

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2008, 23:57:16 »

its all crap ruins tyres and attacks alloy !! knackers the valve and causes all sorts of hasslle  >:(

Holts actually say that the white stuff is liquid latex and can be washed away with warm soapy water (in fact, they say it must washed away before repairing the puncture), and the only potential damage they mention if the latex is left in the tyre is a chemical reaction with the adhesive used to patch the hole.... it all sounds very sensible, only problem is the thing did not actually work  >:(
« Last Edit: 25 February 2008, 23:57:47 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2008, 01:20:06 »

They do work, but if its a low profile tyre (ie on 17 rims) best to jack the car first and spin the wheel while bashing the tyre back into its normal position.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.