Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Etch a Sketch: Faulty?  (Read 723 times)

Debs.

Etch a Sketch: Faulty?
« on: 16 March 2008, 12:57:00 »

Mattel Inc.: Tech Support Enquiry:

Dear Sir or Madam,
Having received one of your "Etch a Sketch" products (build verson 1.01) recently as a 'retro/humourous' Birthday-gift, I am disappointed to discover it appears to be faulty.
I have tried to telephone your tech-support line on numerous occasions but the lines are always busy; I assume because of many-other similarly faulty units!.....so, I write this in the hope of e.mail support.

The fault on my unit exhibits itself in a number of ways:
Firstly, I often cannot make the unit progress beyond the 'welcome' screen; the unit often just 'hangs' with the display in simple graphical interface mode (B & W VGA-mode)......Fiddling with the controls at that stage will only produce a 'mouse-trailed cursor'; `none of the exciting images/pictures shown on the unit`s delivery packaging...."very disappointing!"

Despite successive re-boots I have been unable to make the unit perform as described.....I find this situation upsetting and I`m sorry to admit that I have (in frustration) shaken the unit, which interestingly, revealed the possible cause of the fault: the unit re-boots instantly upon being shaken; obviously a loose wire/connection within the device.
There is an audible rattle from the device when shaken; surely also pointing towards the presence of a loose component within.

I find it noteworthy that on the "Etch a Sketch" packaging the device is described as "Child`s play: so easy a 4 year old can use it"....so, as a 47 year old, finding myself unable to make use of your device I find those hyperbolic claims hard to stomach.
I also have been dismayed to discover the woeful lack of instructions to accompany the unit; not even a mention of which operating system it uses or even any fault flow chart guidance!....this aspect of your product surely requires a complete "shake-up"

The two rotary controls on my "Etch a Sketch" appear to only serve one function; to move the cursor in the X and Y axis.
I assumed they should be multi-function intuitive interface controls, perhaps opening the wireless mode, disc burning and voice recognition features.
In a eureka-moment of lucidity, I thought perhaps I had been given the touchscreen version and proceeded to try and access "safe mode" during boot by repeatedly tapping the screen; sadly however this only produced a dirty screen and a broken fingernail; yet more disappointment!  :'(

I`d heard great things from other users of your product an having aspired to ownership since my youth, I am deeply saddened to have one that`s so obviously faulty: perhaps making it`s utility more a`kin of a Raspberry rather than a Blackberry!

In line with other suppliers of technology I assume you offer an 'on site warranty' should a visit from a qualified engineer prove necessary?......however, in this first instance I would hope that you will be able to offer tech-advice which will enable me to use the device without recourse to a repair call.

I look forward to receiving your kind attention.
Yours sincerely,

Debs.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2008, 12:58:19 by Debs. »

waspy

Re: Etch a Sketch: Faulty?
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2008, 13:11:14 »

Dear Sir or Madam,
Having received one of your "Etch a Sketch" products (build verson 1.01) recently as a 'retro/humourous' Birthday-gift, I am disappointed to discover it appears to be faulty.
I have tried to telephone your tech-support line on numerous occasions but the lines are always busy; I assume because of many-other similarly faulty units!.....so, I write this in the hope of e.mail support.

Firstly, I often cannot make the unit progress beyond the 'welcome' screen; the unit often just 'hangs' with the display in simple graphical interface mode (B & W VGA-mode)......Fiddling with the controls at that stage will only produce a 'mouse-trailed cursor'; `none of the exciting images/pictures shown on the unit`s delivery packaging...."very disappointing!"

Despite successive re-boots I have been unable to make the unit perform as described.....I find this situation upsetting and I`m sorry to admit that I have (in frustration) shaken the unit, which interestingly, revealed the possible cause of the fault: the unit re-boots instantly upon being shaken; obviously a loose wire/connection within the device.
There is an audible rattle from the device when shaken; surely also pointing towards the presence of a loose component within

I find it noteworthy that on the "Etch a Sketch" packaging the device is described as "Child`s play: so easy a 4 year old can use it"....so, as a 47 year old, finding myself unable to make use of your device I find those hyperbolic claims hard to stomach.
I also have been dismayed to discover the woeful lack of instructions to accompany the unit; not even a mention of which operating system it uses or even any fault flow chart guidance!....this aspect of your product surely requires a complete "shake-up"

The two rotary controls on my "Etch a Sketch" appear to only serve one function; to move the cursor in the X and Y axis.
I assumed they should be multi-function intuitive interface controls, perhaps opening the wireless mode, disc burning and voice recognition features.
In a eureka-moment of lucidity, I thought perhaps I had been given the touchscreen version and proceeded to try and access "safe mode" during boot by repeatedly tapping the screen; sadly however this only produced a dirty screen and a broken fingernail; yet more disappointment!  :'(

I`d heard great things from other users of your product an having aspired to ownership since my youth, I am deeply saddened to have one that`s so obviously faulty: perhaps making it`s utility more a`kin of a Raspberry rather than a Blackberry!

In line with other suppliers of technology I assume you offer an 'on site warranty' should a visit from a qualified engineer prove necessary?......however, in this first instance I would hope that you will be able to offer tech-advice which will enable me to use the device without recourse to a repair call.

Yours sincerely,

Debs.

This is usually what i try first

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2008, 16:42:38 »

Dear Sir or Madam,

There is an audible rattle from the device when shaken; surely also pointing towards the presence of a loose component within.

Yours sincerely,

Debs.

You don't look it! ::) ;)
best wishes
Simon.

Debs.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2008, 16:49:13 »

You don't look it! ::) ;)

;) You are a true-gentleman!  :y

[size=8]I hear Specsavers` eyetests are very good![/size]
« Last Edit: 16 March 2008, 16:51:51 by Debs. »

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2008, 17:06:26 »

here is the repair guide-
completely strip down the unit to bare essentials and place each unit i a different place within your house. secondly go out and purchase a 100 inch lcd screen with a built in pc, dvd, video, stereo and sky unit, remove the two control knobs, replacing them with the two etch a sketch ones placed within your house.
this will solve the problem, i can sell you all the items listed at an inflated price, please let me know how you wish to pay.
mr rip. n. youov   (ex etchasketch customer service engineer).
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Debs.

« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2008, 17:37:28 »

here is the repair guide-
completely strip down the unit to bare essentials and place each unit i a different place within your house. secondly go out and purchase a 100 inch lcd screen with a built in pc, dvd, video, stereo and sky unit, remove the two control knobs, replacing them with the two etch a sketch ones placed within your house.
this will solve the problem, i can sell you all the items listed at an inflated price, please let me know how you wish to pay.
mr rip. n. youov   (ex etchasketch customer service engineer).

;D ;D ;D ;D........ :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.