Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15417 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #60 on: 21 August 2020, 20:44:56 »

It's just that that thing has got rather more kinetic energy (= potential to wipe innocent people out) when it all goes wrong than a lightweight sports car, hence the reduced speed limit that applies, the speed limiter, the extra driver licensing requirements, tachograph, etc. etc. which the genius behind the wheel decided didn't apply to him. ::)

It also takes a lot more stopping than just lifting your foot off a petrol engined car that's 1/20 of the weight. It's why the truck 'suddenly'**** appears  to be about to drive into your boot, because sudden, heavy brake application isn't just undesirable on a truck, but is downright dangerous. Slowing it down needs to be done intelligently, and using up some of the safety gap is often the best option.

**** suddenly means the same as he came from nowhere :I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on around me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 August 2020, 20:49:04 »

Actual speed is probably 75 (easily achieved with a bit of weight and a decent downhill stretch) and whilst a modest overspeed infringement isn't a big deal, using lane 3 to do it is, and the investigation has obviously highlighted other offences.

Company disciplinary action depends on the company, but generally, they're more concerned about timekeeping (turning up to work on time) and repeated accidents than the occasional overspeed.

Isn't an offence, in any way shape or form... Don't believe what your CPC trainer told you,
I know ;)

Repeated minor blips are one thing, but repeated occurrences over distances of several miles can highlight company and driver trends.

There are circumstances that may prevent you from repeatedly braking down a long descent, or having misjudged the angle of a slope left it too late to change down, especially if you have a single range box, leaving you no choice but to let the engine hold you back in the gear that your in, M40 north from Wycombe being a good example.

However, showing significant blocks of time spent over 60mph (the actual HGV motorway limit) is asking to be called in to the office.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 August 2020, 20:50:38 »

I'm referring to you assumption that speed is on a tachograph Card ... For all to see.  As for speeding it depends on who you work for, lots of variables,   Let's just say, we don't all drive for tossco, or the large multinational plobbers..

Digi Tacho's.  I haven't seen a tacho card for years.  Just a drivers paper 'timesheet' and a digital tacho.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 August 2020, 20:54:15 »

He isn't psychic either. 
He didn't need to be .... I was sat in the nearside lane

He was probably pissed off that you were holding him up. 

I don't see how I held him up ... he was trying overtaking me. but then wanted me to slow down.

I've been held up behind many an ignorant HGV driver getting slower & slower in lane 2 up hill

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 August 2020, 20:59:48 »

He isn't psychic either. 

I don't see how I held him up ... he was trying overtaking me. but then wanted me to slow down.

I've been held up behind many an ignorant HGV driver getting slower & slower in lane 2 up hill

If he made an overtake, he was going faster than you!  That's not hard to grasp, or is it????.  He was beside you when he wanted the lane to the left of you.  That was an error on his part.

I also get pissed off with HGV's who take 4 miles to pass another (A34 springs to mind from the M3 until Oxford).

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 August 2020, 21:01:27 »

is that upon noticing the left indicator you should have taken deliberate steps to pull ahead in order to minimise the chance of being punted off the motorway.
How fast do you think I could have sped away? We were all but at his junction when I saw his indicator. He braked firmly to pull over behind me and up the sliproad.

Fortunately, he looked before moving over, otherwise you would be both squished and correct.
He knew I was there .... he'd just come up behind/alongside me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 August 2020, 21:05:52 »

He isn't psychic either. 

If he made an overtake, he was going faster than you!  That's not hard to grasp, or is it????.  He was beside you when he wanted the lane to the left of you.  That was an error on his part.

I also get pissed off with HGV's who take 4 miles to pass another (A34 springs to mind from the M3 until Oxford).

Don't patronise!  >:( To quote you .... at risk of repeating myself ..... he'd started his overtake as we left the M1 where it was flat, the flyover the M1 was uphill  ... he was running out of steam as he was trying to pass. Given a bit more road & he'd have overtaken me.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 21 August 2020, 21:06:05 »

Andy, they all do it, all the time ... just try and use the Heathrow slip off the M4.. its nearly a mile long but every van and truck hurtle past all the cars on the slip and then force their way in at the last minute, endangering both those on the slip road and those actually driving the M4 who suddenly have a stationary vehicle in lane 1... it's called selfishness and lack of consideration.... or "just being a dick"....

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2020, 21:09:43 »

He isn't psychic either. 

Don't patronise!  >:( To quote you .... at risk of repeating myself ..... he'd started his overtake as we left the M1 where it was flat, the flyover the M1 was uphill  ... he was running out of steam as he was trying to pass. Given a bit more road & he'd have overtaken me.

Dont patronise?  Jesus H Christ.  So, if you were doing 56mph, or lets push it to the fricking limit, 57mph!  WooooooHAaaaaaa, imagine just doing 2mph more????  Crazy Shit!

You would never have been in the prediciment, you would not have posted like a child who had his ass slapped.

Read everthing you have posted on this thread.  Then come back and say you are happy doing an indicated 55mph.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2020, 21:11:30 »

Actual speed is probably 75 (easily achieved with a bit of weight and a decent downhill stretch) and whilst a modest overspeed infringement isn't a big deal, using lane 3 to do it is, and the investigation has obviously highlighted other offences.

Company disciplinary action depends on the company, but generally, they're more concerned about timekeeping (turning up to work on time) and repeated accidents than the occasional overspeed.

Isn't an offence, in any way shape or form... Don't believe what your CPC trainer told you,
I know ;)

Repeated minor blips are one thing, but repeated occurrences over distances of several miles can highlight company and driver trends.

There are circumstances that may prevent you from repeatedly braking down a long descent, or having misjudged the angle of a slope left it too late to change down, especially if you have a single range box, leaving you no choice but to let the engine hold you back in the gear that your in, M40 north from Wycombe being a good example.

However, showing significant blocks of time spent over 60mph (the actual HGV motorway limit) is asking to be called in to the office.

Depends were you work, and how they Annalise the download,  as said big plobber company, going over 54.1mpj gets you a warning, as does ticking over for 31 seconds,,, management, bolloks,
 If Dvsa see continues overspeed for miles, they will ask for limiter check, the Dvsa accept downhill overspeed when they download,...

If you work for a proper firm, overspeed dosent even figure, so when coming downhill, just let the autobraking keep it in check,  mines set at 100, and it just bobs downhill no problems, until a Muppet starts braking because he gone over 54.1 for 2 seconds,...

Watching that video,  tipper. Is downill, just letting it go, and took third lane, because of people plobbing along in lane 2... Just some dash cam warrior didn't like it.... Also to many "expert's" ;)
Hoof'land storeman.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21 August 2020, 21:13:19 »

Andy, they all do it, all the time ... just try and use the Heathrow slip off the M4.. its nearly a mile long but every van and truck hurtle past all the cars on the slip and then force their way in at the last minute, endangering both those on the slip road and those actually driving the M4 who suddenly have a stationary vehicle in lane 1... it's called selfishness and lack of consideration.... or "just being a dick"....

I take that exit several times a week..... at the minute it's fine.

The problem isn't with the people who exit late (I do that) it's with the idiots who brake hard in lane 2, because they see a queue on the 1.5mile exit slip.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 August 2020, 21:17:55 »

is that upon noticing the left indicator you should have taken deliberate steps to pull ahead in order to minimise the chance of being punted off the motorway.
How fast do you think I could have sped away? We were all but at his junction when I saw his indicator. He braked firmly to pull over behind me and up the sliproad.

Fortunately, he looked before moving over, otherwise you would be both squished and correct.
He knew I was there .... he'd just come up behind/alongside me.
A firm prod of the throttle would have sufficed  ::)

You presume that he was aware of you and your intentions. The last thing he might have seen as his line of sight passed your back end may have been a left indicator from joining the slip road.

Still not disputing the fact that he should have been in the left lane all the way to the Hull slip, but you need to accept a degree of responsibility for your choices that led to you being in that predicament. You chose to maintain your speed and get wound up by the situation instead of reacting differently as the situation unfolded.

Like I asked. What would YOU have done if you were driving to Hull instead and had moved to the right to pass the slower vehicle up the off ramp only to find yourself blocked from your exit?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 August 2020, 21:20:12 »

I know ;)

Depends were you work, and how they Annalise the download,  as said big plobber company, going over 54.1mpj gets you a warning, as does ticking over for 31 seconds,,, management, bolloks,
 If Dvsa see continues overspeed for miles, they will ask for limiter check, the Dvsa accept downhill overspeed when they download,...

If you work for a proper firm, overspeed dosent even figure, so when coming downhill, just let the autobraking keep it in check,  mines set at 100, and it just bobs downhill no problems, until a Muppet starts braking because he gone over 54.1 for 2 seconds,...

Watching that video,  tipper. Is downill, just letting it go, and took third lane, because of people plobbing along in lane 2... Just some dash cam warrior didn't like it.... Also to many "expert's" ;)

Actually I was travelling at the legal maximum of 60 mph consistently.. as the speed readout shows .. unlike the guy you defend for doing wll over 70 in a heavy goods vehicle ... so if we had needed to brake for an emergency .. who would have stopped and who would have caused a major incident ??

methinks you are the misguided one....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 August 2020, 21:38:32 »

What would YOU have done if you were driving to Hull instead and had moved to the right to pass the slower vehicle up the off ramp only to find yourself blocked from your exit?

Sucked it up & gone to the next junction or do as he eventually did & braked to go behind

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 21 August 2020, 21:43:44 »

that led to you being in that predicament. You chose to maintain your speed and get wound up by the situation instead of reacting differently as the situation unfolded. 

I wasn't in a predicament ... I was in the right lane for where I wanted to go .... I had been since leaving the M1

I wasn't wound up. He blasted his horn .. I did likewise .... I was just relaying my experience of a knob head HGV driver on the forum
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.