Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Pollen & Air Filters  (Read 8958 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Pollen & Air Filters
« on: 10 December 2021, 17:44:36 »

I am about to give my 3.2 a major service.  But when I asked my Vx dealer to order me the Pollen and Air filters, they stated what many have already found, they are "No longer available" ! :P

As many I believe have now tried and tested the non-Vx alternatives of these, can anyone recommend the best that I can now find please? ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Pollen & Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2021, 18:12:25 »

Mann filters are OE fitment on a lot of car manufacturers vehicles. Our Germans had Mann filters from new, but with the logo of BMW/ Audi added on. They're usually readily available for air, pollen and oil filters.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2021, 18:14:29 »

Probably readily available from the US but last time I looked up anything for you, you threw it back in my face.  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2021, 19:15:26 »

There's this genuine GM air filter on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GM-Vauxhall-Omega-Air-filter-91149684-/265151052123?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Although there are also several Fram listed, which are just as good imho.

And as for a pollen filter (you need the carbon version), you can't go wrong with this..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABIN-FILTER-WITH-CARBON-/303873808285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Depending on how fast you want them, I'm certain you can get both from local factors by manufacturers than GM. I've used allsorts of makes over the years for oil, air and pollen filters and never noticied any difference between genuine and reputable OEM equivalents, other than the price!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2021, 20:20:44 »

Mann filters are OE fitment on a lot of car manufacturers vehicles. Our Germans had Mann filters from new, but with the logo of BMW/ Audi added on. They're usually readily available for air, pollen and oil filters.  :y

Thanks for that :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2021, 20:21:16 »

There's this genuine GM air filter on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GM-Vauxhall-Omega-Air-filter-91149684-/265151052123?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Although there are also several Fram listed, which are just as good imho.

And as for a pollen filter (you need the carbon version), you can't go wrong with this..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABIN-FILTER-WITH-CARBON-/303873808285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Depending on how fast you want them, I'm certain you can get both from local factors by manufacturers than GM. I've used allsorts of makes over the years for oil, air and pollen filters and never noticied any difference between genuine and reputable OEM equivalents, other than the price!

Thanks for that :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2021, 20:22:39 »

I will follow both of the above members leads, so again, thanks :-* :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2021, 20:52:13 »

Just ordered a Bosch air filter and Crosland pollen filter from Euro Car Parts, and got a healthy discount :y :y

Will be collecting them from my ECP local outlet, so no delivery charges :D ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2021, 21:26:14 »

ECP were doing the Crosland carbon pollen filters for £3.?? odd a couple of months ago, so I bought several to keep in. Some 'pooh poohed' them regarding their fitment, but I found they fitted with no problem. Crosland filters have been going for years; no quarms with using them, or others like Fram, TJ, Coopers etc....

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2021, 21:47:26 »

ECP were doing the Crosland carbon pollen filters for £3.?? odd a couple of months ago,........

£1.73 now.  :o

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2021, 21:58:48 »

Depending on how fast you want them, I'm certain you can get both from local factors by manufacturers than GM. I've used all sorts of makes over the years for oil, air and pollen filters and never noticed any difference between genuine and reputable OEM equivalents, other than the price!

That.
You'll never notice a practical difference in filters, oil and plugs.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2021, 23:06:04 »

Depending on how fast you want them, I'm certain you can get both from local factors by manufacturers than GM. I've used all sorts of makes over the years for oil, air and pollen filters and never noticed any difference between genuine and reputable OEM equivalents, other than the price!

That.
You'll never notice a practical difference in filters, oil and plugs.

Filters, I agree with.
Plugs and oil - well....no.
NGK definitely out perform the equivalent Champion in my classic Triumphs in terms of reliability for example - especially in a 2.5 PI.
Oil (oil again ::) ) - I'm quite particular about the oil I use. Dispite being labelled as the same viscosity, not all oils are the same. Sulphur content, the API rating all come into it, both in classics and modern engines. You probably won't notice any difference short term, but over time....  I thought members on here recommended GM 10/40 for the Omega for example?
Would you consider putting Asda Value oil (just as an example, although I'm not even sure that they still sell it?) that is probably recycled, into any engine? Maybe as a quick flushing oil, but that's about all it's good for.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2021, 09:07:05 »

Filters, I agree with.
Plugs and oil - well....no.
NGK definitely out perform the equivalent Champion in my classic Triumphs in terms of reliability for example - especially in a 2.5 PI.
Oil (oil again ::) ) - I'm quite particular about the oil I use. Despite being labelled as the same viscosity, not all oils are the same. Sulphur content, the API rating all come into it, both in classics and modern engines. You probably won't notice any difference short term, but over time....  I thought members on here recommended GM 10/40 for the Omega for example?
Would you consider putting Asda Value oil (just as an example, although I'm not even sure that they still sell it?) that is probably recycled, into any engine? Maybe as a quick flushing oil, but that's about all it's good for.

GM oil was recommended because it was a quality product at a really good price if you could store the extra. Anyone with connections could get similar deals elsewhere, and the cost/value/convenience overlap changes. The impressive part of GM's Trade Club was the extremely easy access to it: the local Toyota dealer closed our trade account(workshop deliveries only, and had to be paid through the account) because we didn't use it enough.

For many years I used oil acquired from work; my Mini and Capris run just fine for 30,000 miles p/a on the same stuff we used in Transits. At my next job I used whatever 10-40 semi synthetic was in the 200l drum on other Capris, Minis, Avenger, BMW, Legnum, Omega and others. We all did. That was bought solely on whatever the best price was whenever a new one was needed. Even with free oil, I couldn't see any point in changing at the short intervals suggested here; mine got done annually at about 9,000 miles(commuting is expensive!) whether it needed it or not. My Omega got bought oil once, when I was in a hurry and forgot to specify what I wanted. That was a mistake because the 5-30 they supplied made it even less oil tight and noticeably noisier.

Use recycled oil? Sure - it doesn't really wear out, just gets dirty. Recycling it makes perfect sense even before the fact that it's made from a diminishing resource. The only problem with Asda Value oil is that it's more expensive than buying over the counter at a motor factor.

Plugs? I buy NGK for preference which goes back over thirty years to 2-stroke motorbikes. In reality, I've used Motorcraft, Bosch and Champion with no practical difference. I won't buy Denso again as they lasted half the life of other brands in my BMW. Yes, I know that one anecdote like that isn't really proof, but they aren't any cheaper and are easy to avoid.

Filters? I've never looked at the brand on the box, just put the old one in it so they take up less space in the bin.

The only brand I actively won't buy is Goachers beer. That's because it always tastes like yesterday's dishwater strained through my socks.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2021, 09:09:21 by Nick W »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2021, 09:28:56 »

I've used allsorts of makes over the years for oil, air and pollen filters and never noticied any difference between genuine and reputable OEM equivalents, other than the price!

Two of mine are in the warranty period so I have to use the approved filters when doing interim services, but clearly that doesn't apply when out of warranty, or in this case.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2021, 10:06:54 »

Now Vauxhall tradeclub oil is no longer available  :( I've been using 10w40 semi with the same spec (ACEA A3,B3 ,API SL/CF)
with no issues  in my Omega, 3 petrol astras ,2 diesel astras and the tractor Zafira A .
usually just order it to be delivered  from TB's favourite on-line auction site  :D

popped into a local factors recently ,which are normally pretty good for filters ,fluids etc
"got a 20L drum of 10w40 please ? price ?"
factors "What's the reg"   
"I'm putting it in several cars " ::)
Factors "what are the reg numbers "
so I sprout off a few reg numbers I can remember  :P
Factors " computer says they should be 5w30"
"whatever ,computer don't own the cars and i'm doing the job"
Factors " well we will have to put a note on the invoice saying you are using the wrong oil and we only have 1 drum @ £62"
I declined their kind offer  :-X and purchased 20L of 10w40 semi "elsewhere" much cheaper

that's the first time I've encountered the oil police  ::)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.