Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: More justice?🙁  (Read 3951 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: More justice?🙁
« Reply #30 on: 06 January 2022, 14:28:33 »

I agree with your sentiment regarding law and the public etc but I still think pandering to this sort of vandalism by select groups will cause far more trouble than it prevents

Yep....As far as I am aware there has not been a huge demand from the people of Bristol to remove the statue. If there had been then by all means remove old Eddie.

It seems to me that a small minority of middle class wokesters have decided they know what is best for Bristol. These 'white saviours' love to attach themselves to BLM.

As someone who lived and worked around Bristol for 18 years, I can say there was an underlying desire by those so educated in what Colston represented to have the statue removed which grew louder and louder after the St. Paul's race riots of 1981.  If it had been a "small minority" of people who felt this way, then you would not have seen the hundreds of people in Bristol and thousands upon thousands across the country who bothered to support BLM and the toppling of statues.

I lived in Bristol for nearly 10 years from 2001 and I don't remember any significant movement to remove Colston's statue, and I agree with Lord Opti that it was brought about by a noisy minority who think they know best.  ::)

Your 'hundreds of people' are just that a minority.  Maybe well meaning, but a minority none the less.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 January 2022, 14:28:54 »

I agree with your sentiment regarding law and the public etc but I still think pandering to this sort of vandalism by select groups will cause far more trouble than it prevents

Yep....As far as I am aware there has not been a huge demand from the people of Bristol to remove the statue. If there had been then by all means remove old Eddie.

It seems to me that a small minority of middle class wokesters have decided they know what is best for Bristol. These 'white saviours' love to attach themselves to BLM.

As someone who lived and worked around Bristol for 18 years, I can say there was an underlying desire by those so educated in what Colston represented to have the statue removed which grew louder and louder after the St. Paul's race riots of 1981.  If it had been a "small minority" of people who felt this way, then you would not have seen the hundreds of people in Bristol and thousands upon thousands across the country who bothered to support BLM and the toppling of statues.

Has there ever been a public vote on it, Lizzie?

I'd be (would have been) happy to go along with the vote regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 January 2022, 14:31:49 »

I lived in Bristol for nearly 10 years from 2001 and I don't remember any significant movement to remove Colston's statue, and I agree with Lord Opti that it was brought about by a noisy minority who think they know best.  ::)

Your 'hundreds of people' are just that a minority.  Maybe well meaning, but a minority none the less.  ;)

I think most white liberals are well meaning......albeit is a patronising 'we know what is best for you plebs way' :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 January 2022, 14:32:09 »

Has there ever been a public vote on it, Lizzie?

I'd be (would have been) happy to go along with the vote regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

I think there were a few petitions over the years, but as far as I'm aware none that ever gained any significant traction amongst the general population of the great city of Brizzle!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 January 2022, 14:38:43 »

I can only recall going to Bristol once.

When I was 22 or 23 I stayed at The St Vincent Rocks hotel with my then 20 year old girlfriend. We thought it very posh.

We were on our way to Porlock and then on the Cornwall for the week. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 January 2022, 14:41:52 »

Sennen Cove has just come into my mind.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 January 2022, 17:26:10 »

Agree completely, it is nothing but vandalism, bugger what happened years ago ,this is just a mob being  allowed to run riot and getting away scot free. As for the BLM shite George the druggie should not have resisted but he was another waste of space, the Cop should have got a medal not a prison sentence, he used a method of restraint that is taught in the US services when "fight or flight" kicks in you do what is necessary.

The facts are though Rangie is that a United States of America Court listened to all the evidence and found the police officer Chauvin guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.  No matter what the perceived circumstances were from a general public point of view, the court's jury decided the white officer officer acted as judge, jury and executioner and held George Floyd down by the neck for a far longer period than is acceptable in US police practice, as confirmed by white serving and retired police officers when giving evidence.  The jury reached their verdict, as the Bristol Crown Court jury did, based on the law of the land, not social media opinion.

However, the BLM movement was not just down to that incident, although it acted as a catalyst for many decades of bitterness held by the black community in the USA over proven injustice and discrimination, especially by white police officers.  This was reflected in a smaller way by the protests in the UK and blew up into something even bigger as old frustrations rose up.  Yes discrimination is a worldwide challenge, and has been for centuries, but in our democratic societies we should attempt to address the white vs. black issues once and for all.  I have witnessed that type of discrimination in both the US and UK, which is far from pleasant especially when threats of "I will shoot you n..gger" is publicly made with a white man with a hand gun in the former country in front of my young children and my American friends when told of the incident responded by saying "that is very common"!.  In the UK I have seen many times how the Met. Police white officers have acted against black men, especially if they are driving an expensive car!  My black friends have also described the level of discrimination that can be dished out.

This must stop, and although the dubious toppling of the Colston statue has proved to be a focus for white protests, it is nothing compared to what the black, and Asian, communities can suffer everyday.  The legal system in both the US and UK is now recognising the mistakes of the past, as is their societies generally.  People may disagree with the legal verdicts, but as said previously, they are what counts.  That is no more, no less, of what you and me would expect if we ended up in a court of law.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2022, 17:29:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 January 2022, 17:37:43 »

Bothered to support BLM ???

What the actual f :-X :-X :-X

The very notion of BLM is an affront to decent people everywhere.
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 January 2022, 17:40:52 »

I see that MP's are trying to get an appeal of the verdict underway using some old power to do so, due to a public outcry. Yeh, good luck with that. Surely a court decides whether the accused are guilty or not based on the evidence placed before them. We know that they are guilty as every man and his dog can watch them doing it on the internet videos. The historical reasons behind it are irrelevant, they were being tried for committing a crime of vandalism or whatever, not the reasons to commit that crime. It should have been a simple guilty of vandalism verdict, but has somehow turned in to a 'it's ok to vandalise if you think you have good reason' verdict.
It stinks to be honest.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 January 2022, 17:47:01 »

It's the same mentality that believes stealing property and shoplifting are acceptable behaviour.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 January 2022, 17:55:16 »

I'm glad I decided to totally ignore lizzies posts, it's so much easier  ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 January 2022, 17:55:34 »

Our country & a lot of its inhabitants are just too soft & can't see the problem with scum getting away scot free when  a crime has been committed , it's a very slippery slope unfortunately we appear to be too far down it now to claw our way back up it, a very sad state of affairs when some try to justify blatant vandalism.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 January 2022, 17:58:20 »

It's the same mentality that believes stealing property and shoplifting are acceptable behaviour.

Apparently it's a form of reparation..... ;) :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 January 2022, 18:00:35 »

Unfortunately it's a nationwide blind eye to such nonsense that has got us to this point of wokist buggery :'(

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 January 2022, 18:03:45 »

Unfortunately it's a nationwide blind eye to such nonsense that has got us to this point of wokist buggery :'(
Wokist buggery? Got any pics?  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.