Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil thread !  (Read 1689 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Oil thread !
« on: 15 January 2022, 00:00:51 »

Will be  fitting a new turbo on the French contraption in the next few days, so purchased new oil and filter from Eurocraprats.
As usual put the reg. number in and got a list of suitable oils.
The top two were 0w-30 spec. then below that 5w-30 and 5w- 40.
For reasons I now cant remember I chose the one at the top, which happened to be 0w - 30.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/castrol-edge-c3-engine-oil-0w-30-4ltr-521770991

Now Im sat at work bored,so have done a lot of checking online and everything I look at says the recommended spec is 5w - 30.
Will it make any significant difference ?  I assume its a bit thinner, and a bit concerned it wont be good enough for my new turbo.
Dont want to blow the bloody thing up again after spending yet more time and money on it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Oil thread !
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2022, 11:15:14 »

It shouldn't make much practical difference. 0w30 is just a little runnier when cold than 5w30.

Surprised you splashed out instead of finding a suitable chip pan to empty into it, TBH. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2022, 11:17:48 »

Just looked at the link and far canal! Castrol Edge! You are treating her. She won't thank you, being french. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2022, 11:29:16 »

Just looked at the link and far canal! Castrol Edge! You are treating her. She won't thank you, being french. ;)
Pierre is trans?  :o
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2022, 11:32:18 »

Well, the modern way is to ask it if it would like to be assigned a gender or remain non binary, apparently. ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2022, 11:37:14 »

Well, the modern way is to ask it if it would like to be assigned a gender or remain non binary, apparently. ;D
Apparently, I have two astras. Actually just one, but it is non binary and wants to be referred to as 'they/them'. The garage keeps trying to charge me twice when I book them in for a service.
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2022, 11:57:05 »

Apparently, I have two astras. Actually just one, but it is non binary and wants to be referred to as 'they/them'. The garage keeps trying to charge me twice when I book them in for a service.
I bet driving them both there is entertaining. ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2022, 12:20:16 »

More likely would have to ask it if it's gonna start.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2022, 12:30:49 »

Elfs are androgynous so it's fine ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2022, 13:04:24 »

Apparently there is now such a thing as female penis. :)......and it is transphobic to say otherwise. :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2022, 14:31:35 »

I will be fitting a brand new, genuine Renault (Borg Warner actually) turbo (which I picked up £125 !!) and want to give it a good start in life by treating it to good quality oil.
Thanks Kevin for the advice I feel a bit more relaxed about it now.
However I have another question about the oil now. The Castrol Edge is C3 spec. According to the official Renault bumf I came across on the interweb last night the spec should be B4.
Is that also likely to have any detrimental effect in the real world ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2022, 14:41:25 »

This may help.
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-acea-car-engine-oils-specification-explained.aspx

As has been said previously in another topic, whilst different oils may appear to be the same viscosity, its also the API and the subsequent letters that matter to ensure the oil is actually correct for your particular engine.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2022, 15:35:36 »

Get the full spec from the glovebox manual, including the Renault oil type, and look online to match that.  With whatever is cheapest/convenient.

Never, ever use online lookup systems for oil, you will get the oil for a US variant.  As a load of eedjits on the Shag forum discovered when I told them ECP offered the wrong oil (and dont sell the correct one, as it happens), and all of them had clogged dpf's within 200 miiles.  ECP (and others) give the US spec oil for non dpf cars.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2022, 15:37:59 »

I will be fitting a brand new, genuine Renault (Borg Warner actually) turbo (which I picked up £125 !!) and want to give it a good start in life by treating it to good quality oil.
Thanks Kevin for the advice I feel a bit more relaxed about it now.
However I have another question about the oil now. The Castrol Edge is C3 spec. According to the official Renault bumf I came across on the interweb last night the spec should be B4.
Is that also likely to have any detrimental effect in the real world ?
C3 sounds like the ash content, separate from the other specs.  If its non dpf, I suspect you dont care about ash...

As said, what is the Renault oil type for it?
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2022, 16:28:37 »

Dont have a glovebox handbook. Could have a look in the Haynes book of bollix I suppose.
Luckily, no DPF.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.