Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUGGERS CLONED MY ATM CARD!!!!  (Read 1648 times)

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
BUGGERS CLONED MY ATM CARD!!!!
« on: 18 March 2007, 18:27:59 »

MY bank phoned me just after my card got rejected after trying to pay for parking ticket in London yesterday. They asked whether I was in the country, which I am, aksed about a recent transaction, which i confirmed was correct. Then they advised me that someone had tried to withdraw £290.00 and £150.00 in Thailand :-?.

Well obvioulsy not me, I had'nt used the card for about two and a half weeks, so either someone has cloned it from the ATM machine at the BP garage on the old Kent road, lomndon or Tescos ATM at East dulwich road, London. However, prety certain both of these machines are covered by cameras. Unless someone has managed to pinch it from online, whilst I have made a transaction???.

In any case I now have to wait for a new ATM card and pin number, and at least they did'nt get anything from the card as the transactions did not go through....So well done to First Direct :y  

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BUGGERS CLONED MY ATM CARD!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2007, 18:31:21 »

I have been victim of this also. :(

Be cautious, it may not just be that card they have the details of. I would advise your other card issuers and they will probably send you out new ones with different numbers.

The Administrator.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2007, 18:35:22 »

I have been victim of this also. :(

Be cautious, it may not just be that card they have the details of. I would advise your other card issuers and they will probably send you out new ones with different numbers.

Checked my other cards yesterday they are all fine, but yes I was thinking whether to contact the othe card issuers.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2007, 18:38:20 »

I NEVER use an ATM card online.  Little/no options to argue the transactions.  Also, a mate used one at a bar and found his account empty on Monday.

Never had problems myself in the US, but already had a Visa cloned here.  That's why I always have at least 2 bank cards and 2 credit cards.  That way if you lose your wallet or get cloned you can still get on with life.  The trick is not to use one set very often.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2007, 18:49:11 »

I NEVER use an ATM card online.  Little/no options to argue the transactions.  Also, a mate used one at a bar and found his account empty on Monday.

Never had problems myself in the US, but already had a Visa cloned here.  That's why I always have at least 2 bank cards and 2 credit cards.  That way if you lose your wallet or get cloned you can still get on with life.  The trick is not to use one set very often.

The trick is to have no money left in your account like me that way they cannot steal it ;D
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2007, 18:57:40 »

Looks like my Barclaycard got cloned late last year, but Barclaycard covered it, which I was surprised at, seeing as I have a 3yr dispute with them over some items I bought mail order, but company went tits up the next day  >:(
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2007, 19:30:55 »

I've had a co-op VISA cloned, noticed the transaction on the statement - card got re-issued and money refunded no probs.

A first direct VISA got cloned - first thing I knew was they called me - in much the same way as you - asked what I thought the most recent transaction was - and there'd been some more to an on-line betting website or some sort. Card re-issued, money refunded ... job's a good 'un. But it does inspire confidence when the bank calls you about fraudulent transactions instead of you having to call them  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2007, 20:17:41 »

But it does inspire confidence when the bank calls you about fraudulent transactions instead of you having to call them  :y

I had that last year.....used my cc in france for about a £200 transaction....within 1 hour my cc comp were on my mobile asking me if i had made the transaction  :y

My mate who was with me got his card turned off...as he had changed his mobile number and cc comp couldnt contact him...bit of a bugger as i had filled my tank up with fuel and he was paying....i had too  ::)

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2007, 20:37:35 »

I had that last year.....used my cc in france for about a £200 transaction....within 1 hour my cc comp were on my mobile asking me if i had made the transaction  :y

My mate who was with me got his card turned off...as he had changed his mobile number and cc comp couldnt contact him...bit of a bugger as i had filled my tank up with fuel and he was paying....i had too  ::)
Sorry to hear that Mick. It might sound a bit tedious, but as I travel a bit, I usually try and let my CC provide know beforehand (I've had a few problems  in the past with cloning/stolen CC dcetails) Barclays fraud squad are quite good I've found. Very on-the-ball and not intrusive.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2007, 20:38:14 by BigCat »
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2007, 20:46:25 »

My card was cloned along with my pin number following using it at a shell garage in Newbury.  Someone in Germany took over £800 out over 2 days - Alliance & Leicester (for once on their shocking existance) noticed before I did and got it all back for me...
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2007, 20:52:13 »

Sorry to hear that Mick. It might sound a bit tedious, but as I travel a bit, I usually try and let my CC provide know beforehand (I've had a few problems  in the past with cloning/stolen CC dcetails) Barclays fraud squad are quite good I've found. Very on-the-ball and not intrusive.

I tried that.....my cc comp told me....we dont do that....if we try to contact you and carnt we turn the card off.....just call us and we'll turn the card back on again

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2007, 22:32:01 »

I've had 2 sets of NatWest CC in past 12m - and I only used it for my monthly Tiscali billing!  

Some chancer tried to spend £1800 in a US jewellers - they realised it was out of charcter for me and declined the transaction.

11 High Street banks fined this week for throwing confidential waste in with household trash - so your petrol receipt has got no chance.  There is only 1 solution - pay CASH  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2007, 22:36:26 »

pay CASH  ;)

I do now .. :y
« Last Edit: 18 March 2007, 22:37:47 by Taxi_Driver »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2007, 10:15:57 »

I've had 2 sets of NatWest CC in past 12m - and I only used it for my monthly Tiscali billing!  

Some chancer tried to spend £1800 in a US jewellers - they realised it was out of charcter for me and declined the transaction.

11 High Street banks fined this week for throwing confidential waste in with household trash - so your petrol receipt has got no chance.  There is only 1 solution - pay CASH  ;)
Only a lot of retailers don't like cash now....   ....so 'cash' deals are getting less common :(
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2007, 17:14:46 »

Banks want to encourage non-branch banking, i.e. use of ATM machines, telephone banking, and online banking. It considerably reduces their costs if less people walk into branches, as they need to have fewer branches with fewer staff.

Credit Card companies make billions in commissions from card transactions, both in shops and over the phone or online, and are therefore very keen to ensure that customers feel confident in using their credit cards.

For this reasons both banks and Credit Card companies will as a general rule refund moneys lost due to card or online fraud. The amount they pay-out is marginal compared to the amount they stand to loose if people were worried about fraud and went back to using notes and walking into branches.

The exceptions are cases were there is obvious negligence on the customer’s behalf, e.g. when a code is written down on a piece of paper in your wallet. But this is a multi-billion industry and the banks prefer that you keep spending even if they have to mop-up after the fraudsters.

This also explains why the banks are so keen on card security – they are not really concerned about your money, what they are concerned about is that you might use your card or online banking less. Also since they will in most cases refund the money lost due to card fraud, they are actually protecting their own money by trying to fight card fraud, not your money…

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.