Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for TC!  (Read 4225 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
So much for TC!
« on: 23 March 2007, 23:32:55 »

Must have been Diesel in the roundabout earlier today.  Got moderately sideways in heavy traffic.  Thankfully no one next to me.  TC was having a snooze.  ::)

Was it really slippery today, or does Diesel stick to your tires all day?  Was skittish all day after that.  I know I have too much camber, but it wasn't that wet.  Or is it b/c there was only a little water?
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: So much for TC!
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2007, 23:38:43 »

Must have been Diesel in the roundabout earlier today.  Got moderately sideways in heavy traffic.  Thankfully no one next to me.  TC was having a snooze.  ::)

Was it really slippery today, or does Diesel stick to your tires all day?  Was skittish all day after that.  I know I have too much camber, but it wasn't that wet.  Or is it b/c there was only a little water?
Mine will go slightly side ways on a greasey round-about despite TC.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2007, 23:39:00 »

I dont have TC control  :( ....but i can get the back wheels spining if i really try  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2007, 23:40:41 »

I dont have TC control  :( ....
Lucky you!  ;) You're not missing out on anything.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2007, 23:44:14 »

I don't have to try to get the TC to come on.  I just forget that it's RWD for a moment and the TC is cutting in.  

This was a bit more than 1/4 lock slide.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2007, 23:53:18 »

I don't have to try to get the TC to come on.  I just forget that it's RWD for a moment and the TC is cutting in.  

I know what you mean....my merc has TC...and thats a diesel....was always flashing the TC light when i took off too fast on wet roads...and i didnt need corners to get it to go it.....plulling away from the straight  and turbo on wet roads ment flashing light!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2007, 23:59:38 »

I know what you mean....my merc has TC...and thats a diesel....was always flashing the TC light when i took off too fast on wet roads...and i didnt need corners to get it to go it.....plulling away from the straight  and turbo on wet roads ment flashing light!
Turning onto a busy road it's a sure thing.  Especially if there are those big yellow stripes.

If you have time to load up the rear suspension it's usually allright.  That's what was so unusual about that roundabout, was smooth and the suspension was loaded.  Then it just snapped, not uncontrollably though.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2007, 08:20:48 »

In fairness to the TC, your shocks are part shot, so the TC has to work harder.  On later TC's, it tries to apply brake to spinning wheel before reducing engine power, so if you are still giving it a boot load, it will step out a bit.

I regularly test mine (::)) and find in normal conditions, the TC does what its supposed to do.  On those roundabouts next to petrol stations - the ones which always have spilt diesel (being a biker, you get very aware of petrol stations near roundabouts!) - once the slide has started, there is little that TC can do - traction is lost, and its no longer a power/braking issue.

The Omega TC is one of the best I have driven - though most of my other TC experience is in BMWs which have awful TC - and it does exactly what it says on the tin, ie its a safety feature, like ABS, that hopefully will never come on. If it does come on, you are driving beyond the capabilities of the car in those conditions...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2007, 11:33:25 »

The Omega TC is one of the best I have driven -

It's the only TC car I've driven (well, driven and provoked!) and I'd hate to drive a bad one in that case!

It just seems to cut the power dead regardless of the scenario, speed, heaviness of right foot, etc. Granted it'd be difficult to crash with it on, which is its' main role, I guess, but I find I can sort out wheel spin much cleaner with the TC off.

It's a shame it appears to have been seen by VX as a cheap alternative to a LSD. I guess LSDs can bite the unweary but are much better at putting the power down when traction's marginal.

How does an Omega drive with an LSD? I'm almost considering an upgrade!

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2007, 11:37:10 »

pah the Senny does not have TC and it has an LSD  :D .... that is some serious fun in the wet!

Had a very sideways moment on the roundabout on Jc10 of the m40, (2 am) was very fun... only doing 30mph around the roundabout but i was pi$$ing it down.

Tried to go sideways again at the next one, spun it though 720 degrees  :o :o :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2007, 11:41:25 »

That's the problem with LSDs. You have less of the annoying moments when the inside wheel spins and spoils the fun, but when it does let go it's with both wheels and sideways!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2007, 11:46:13 »

the funny thing was i was not in a hurry, just going as normal and felt the back end go.... was a bit of fun. But I need to learn how to control it  :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2007, 12:10:53 »

the funny thing was i was not in a hurry, just going as normal and felt the back end go.... was a bit of fun. But I need to learn how to control it  embarrassed

Yes. I put a LSD in the Westfield about a year ago. Whilst it gave a vast improvement in ability to put the power down in most cases, it needs more care at times, especially in the wet. Had a few interesting roundabout moments at first. It's a bit easier to collect up when it slides than a Senator, I'd imagine!

Kevin

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2007, 12:12:26 »

As MarkDTM would say, the Westfield does not have a boat anchor up front!!  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2007, 12:28:14 »

As MarkDTM would say, the Westfield does not have a boat anchor up front!!  Grin

Well, only 2/3rds of a boat anchor!

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.