Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for TC!  (Read 4226 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: So much for TC!
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2007, 13:06:05 »

pah the Senny does not have TC and it has an LSD  :D .... that is some serious fun in the wet!

Had a very sideways moment on the roundabout on Jc10 of the m40, (2 am) was very fun... only doing 30mph around the roundabout but i was pi$$ing it down.

Tried to go sideways again at the next one, spun it though 720 degrees  :o :o :o

You span it twice? It's a good job the law didn't catch you  ::)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2007, 13:12:37 »

pah the Senny does not have TC and it has an LSD  :D .... that is some serious fun in the wet!

Had a very sideways moment on the roundabout on Jc10 of the m40, (2 am) was very fun... only doing 30mph around the roundabout but i was pi$$ing it down.

Tried to go sideways again at the next one, spun it though 720 degrees  :o :o :o

No worries there!  They don't have cameras for spinning out.  :P
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2007, 13:37:44 »

;D ;D ;D

It was the day before the cambelt party, i just dropped MaxV6 back home and was on my way back, it was around 1.30 am in the morning, i had the fun sideways moment, (no one around) then at the next roundabout i thought i would try it again, as last time it happened by accident.

Good look around, not a car in sight in any direction. I would have NOT attempted this during the day, I gave it too much power and it kicked down before i wanted it to.. kicked the back end out and i spun. It was seriously wet and continued another 360 before i ended up in between the exit to go on the A43 and the joining traffic  :o :o (ie me facing the sign with directions)

Luckly i stopped cm's before the bumper would hit the post.... needless to say i drove away (slowly) feeling very ashamed  :-[

« Last Edit: 24 March 2007, 13:38:42 by tunnie »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2007, 13:38:49 »

Don' forget the mark 1-A eyeball with manual pen and notebook datalogger....   ;)    :D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2007, 13:41:09 »

Don' forget the mark 1-A eyeball with manual pen and notebook datalogger....   ;)    :D
Those have almost all been decomissioned.  ::)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2007, 19:05:21 »

Yet!
Do it right, do it once................

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2007, 11:51:28 »

When the back end of the Senny breaks away it is usually pretty violent. It is not progressive, it just goes.... this can be either fun, or scary!  ;)

Stick 2 large bags of sand in the boot (one each side). It does help.
The Administrator.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2007, 22:49:21 »

I find it's utter crap, when I had junk tyres on the rear (which were fitted when I bought the car) it was always trying to go sideways in the wet with the slightest provocation. TC didn't help much at all. It's a lot better now with Michelin Pilots on, but I find it cuts way too much power and the engine's not torquey enough to pull once the TC has done its bit. I've found myself dipping the clutch on occasion to get the revs back up and give me some grunt!

Personally I prefer having the damn thing switched off whenever I either want to do some spirited driving, or even just a fast standing start -- the power cutting absolutely kills it here, much better just modulating the wheelspin with your right foot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2007, 23:02:50 »

I find it's utter crap, when I had junk tyres on the rear (which were fitted when I bought the car) it was always trying to go sideways in the wet with the slightest provocation. TC didn't help much at all. It's a lot better now with Michelin Pilots on, but I find it cuts way too much power and the engine's not torquey enough to pull once the TC has done its bit. I've found myself dipping the clutch on occasion to get the revs back up and give me some grunt!

Personally I prefer having the damn thing switched off whenever I either want to do some spirited driving, or even just a fast standing start -- the power cutting absolutely kills it here, much better just modulating the wheelspin with your right foot.

Exactly what I was trying to say. It's like it's a feature designed to pacify insurance companies by shutting the engine down if it thinks you're about to do something stupid. It makes you want to avoid getting anywhere near the limit of traction because it's so unpleasant when it cuts in! Maybe that was the intended result.

At least we can be grateful there's a button to turn it off!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2007, 23:15:25 »

Exactly what I was trying to say. It's like it's a feature designed to pacify insurance companies by shutting the engine down if it thinks you're about to do something stupid. It makes you want to avoid getting anywhere near the limit of traction because it's so unpleasant when it cuts in! Maybe that was the intended result.

At least we can be grateful there's a button to turn it off!

Kevin
DBW's are muuuuch better.  Only thing these can do is cut fuel, it doesn't have any other options.  Very unpleasant.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2007, 09:51:49 »

DBW's are muuuuch better.

Mine is DBW, and I was just wondering to myself if the DBW uses a different strategy. It's still not nice. Feels like the throttle is slammed shut, then opened again until the slip starts, then slammed shut again... repeat until driver lifts off.

I must admit I've not noticed any braking of the slipping wheel - maybe it actually does this subtlely enough..?

I'd still rather have an LSD.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2007, 10:19:41 »

As said previously, it only comes on when exceeding the abilities of the car in those conditions. Shit tyres reduce that capability.  Even the Pilots aren't particularly good, way too hard.

Remember its TC, not ESP/ESC.  Therefore not designed to correct a loose back end (though should reduce the chances of it happening).

Also, remember, its a safety feature, like ABS, that should never come on - doing so is driving beyond the cars capabilities in those conditions.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2007, 10:22:05 »

I'd still rather have an LSD.
Maybe so, but no car manufacturer would now fit LSD without electronic traction or stability on standard cars, as LSD can break away very quickly.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2007, 10:36:44 »

Come to think of it F/L TC is better behaved than PF/L TC.

Would still prefer auto braked wheel though.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2007, 10:59:56 »

Also, remember, its a safety feature, like ABS, that should never come on - doing so is driving beyond the cars capabilities in those conditions.

Well the car's capabilities aren't very high then ;)

If you want a quick launch a little wheel slip is good, as long as you don't let the traction completely go and can modulate the throttle it's far quicker than trying to launch with the TC. Personally it's got me into more trouble than it's got me out of, it just blindly and harshly cuts power and in some scenarios that's the worst thing to do. At least DSC/ESP or whatever actually straightens the car up for you, and in my experience is far less intrusive (although that may be partly down to with only having experienced DSC with a far more torquey engine that doesn't bog down the way the V6 does when the power is momentarily cut).

I often have it switched off, IMO it's actually safer that way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.