Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need ANOTHER new TV !  (Read 3369 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: I Need ANOTHER new TV !
« Reply #30 on: 14 April 2007, 21:58:07 »

He had a Samsung there previously which I saw, which was very nice... he dropped that.  ::)

So replaced it with a Pioneer, which i belive was set up right. It was fine for most things, but anything with a white background showed how poor its upscaling was.

You still get the best image on CRT's .....

50Hz CRTs, mine is still good even though it is 7 1/2 years old - I have used DVE to prove it.
Yours is not good. Unless it is never on.

100Hz is very good, just not Sony's implementation. Wega 50Hz has too much flicker to be any good.

ALl 100Hz TVs to me look a bit plasticky - anyway as  I told you before crank down the brightness and they last a LOT longer.
Turn down the brightness/contrast, the tube should last about 5 yrs.  With the Sony default setting, about 2 - 3 yrs is your lot...

Perhaps because 50Hz TVs are driven less hard they last longer!!!!
Actually, due to different characteristics of phosphur used on 50Hz screens, it is more prone to phosphur damage.  As to softening of the tube, they degrade equally...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #31 on: 14 April 2007, 22:05:52 »

He had a Samsung there previously which I saw, which was very nice... he dropped that.  ::)

So replaced it with a Pioneer, which i belive was set up right. It was fine for most things, but anything with a white background showed how poor its upscaling was.

You still get the best image on CRT's .....

50Hz CRTs, mine is still good even though it is 7 1/2 years old - I have used DVE to prove it.
Yours is not good. Unless it is never on.

100Hz is very good, just not Sony's implementation. Wega 50Hz has too much flicker to be any good.

ALl 100Hz TVs to me look a bit plasticky - anyway as  I told you before crank down the brightness and they last a LOT longer.
Turn down the brightness/contrast, the tube should last about 5 yrs.  With the Sony default setting, about 2 - 3 yrs is your lot...

Perhaps because 50Hz TVs are driven less hard they last longer!!!!
Actually, due to different characteristics of phosphur used on 50Hz screens, it is more prone to phosphur damage.  As to softening of the tube, they degrade equally...

I wonder then why mine is still so good? You can still tell if it is a 540 or 720 pixel wide channel.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 April 2007, 22:09:01 »

I wonder then why mine is still so good?
Either its not, or you use less than 2hrs per day.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #33 on: 14 April 2007, 22:10:53 »

It is used a lot - I know you don't believe it but my old heavily used TV still has a good picture - and I am critical of TV pictures.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 April 2007, 22:13:25 »

It is used a lot - I know you don't believe it but my old heavily used TV still has a good picture - and I am critical of TV pictures.
You're right, I don't ;)

I'm a qualified TV repair tech.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #35 on: 14 April 2007, 22:37:49 »

You're right, I don't ;)

I'm a qualified TV repair tech.

And I am an AV nut who spent ages setting his TV up and can tell the difference between different video formats, and can spot a cheapo Scart lead by A_B testing it. (crosstalk and noise)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2007, 22:50:58 »

To add my 2 p worth

My Sony 32" 100hz Wega.....was looking a tad tired on the picture quality.....but then it is years old....probably getting on for 10 years old now...

But after Martins advice i visited an avforum and followed some tweaks i found on the forum.

Result was 3 tweaks later.....the picture quality has definately improved....in fact i reckon its as good now as it was when it was new  :)

So im not rushing out to but a new TV now  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 April 2007, 10:03:07 »

To add my 2 p worth

My Sony 32" 100hz Wega.....was looking a tad tired on the picture quality.....but then it is years old....probably getting on for 10 years old now...

But after Martins advice i visited an avforum and followed some tweaks i found on the forum.

Result was 3 tweaks later.....the picture quality has definately improved....in fact i reckon its as good now as it was when it was new  :)

So im not rushing out to but a new TV now  :y
10yr old is just inside the 'decent' era :y

Shortly after, they began to cut corners (understatement of the year).  The PSUs were not powerful enough, so no matter what adjustments you make, you cannot get geometry right. It simply varies depending on what is being shown on the screen.  The focus issues on my 4 FQ sets are not the ones that caqn be dialled out, it seems to be an alignment issue.  The scrolling issues are down to some feedback issue, possibly from the 100Hz clock, but mixed in with interference from at least one of the tuners (unplug the aerial, and it improves).  The left hand speaker hiss, again on all 4, I suspect down to local interference.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.