Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a Cadillac Catera?  (Read 1198 times)

bshanley

• south carolina, USA
    • 1998 Cadillac Catera
    • View Profile
Help with a Cadillac Catera?
« on: 13 August 2015, 18:23:40 »

I've searched all the Cadillac websites, but can't find a helpful answer. Can the Omega owners help? I'm searching for the air conditioner condesate drip tube on a '98 Catera. The passenger floor is wet, and I'm led to believe it's a simple matter of clearing the (blocked) drip tube. But I can't find the darn thing. Is it accessible from above, in the engine compartment? Below? Do you have to put it up on a lift? I've been looking on the firewall and the undercarriage. Anyone know specifically? A photo would be a godsend. Thank you in advance.  Brian Shanley, South Carolina, USA

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Cadillac Catera?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2015, 18:46:01 »

Have you checked the scuttle drain under the cabin filter?  Accessible under the bonnet hood. If blocked this can cause this problem. :y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2015, 20:37:21 »

As above remove the cabin pollen filter and in the corner you can see the drain hole. clear it gently with a small pipe brush. if full of water then use your finget to locate the drain and use the brush.
check regular and replace the cabin pollen filter.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2015, 20:50:28 »

Could also be a failed heater matrix on a left hooker... is it water or coolant?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2015, 21:19:28 »

My 1994 Omega used to get a wet carpet in really warm humid weather.

I believe that there are two condense drains - two 1/4" flexible pipes, one either side of the transmission tunnel. I tried squirting water up each drain to see if I could flush anything out but the water I put in came straight out again so I don't think there was a problem with the drains.

I used to keep the scuttle drain clear so I think the problem was purely one of condensation on the end of the cooling coil.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2015, 21:22:03 »

Picture from EPC

Items 1 and 2,4,5 are all described as HVAC water drain. HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning. I've never had an Omega apart to that level, but I have had my Carlton apart, and the system is similar. Getting at the HVAC is a major job which involves dash out, interior out, paint off, undercoat off, primer off and un-welding several seams (well almost!). The HVAC sits on top of these grommet type pipes, and condensate drains through the grommets onto the top of the gearbox. On a Carlton it is virtually impossible to get at these drain vents from inside the car. You can get at them from under the car if you drop the exhaust off and remove the gearbox.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2015, 11:21:31 »

I frequently get a cold drip on my left foot in the hot, humid weather with AC on. I think it's just condensation.

As for the op... I'd check the scuttle as suggested... Can't see AC generating enough liquid to soak the carpet
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2015, 12:23:33 »

you migth be surprised in warm weather, in italy our hire car dripped loads onto the petrol station forecourt.  op's south carolina is same latitude as morocco.

bshanley

• south carolina, USA
    • 1998 Cadillac Catera
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2015, 03:07:15 »

Thanks, everyone. This gives me some additional ideas to pursue in the upcoming weekend. But if it involves dropping he gearbox, maybe I'll just drive in the winter or with the windows open! Seriously, thank you very much, with extra thanks to the poster who informed me that South Carolina is the same latitude as Morocco.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2015, 07:20:20 »

The pipes can be found, by putting, your hands around the gearbox,and feeling for the outlet, getting on a ramp helps :)
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2015, 07:27:03 »

Visible by the heatshields either side of the bell housing... Might be under mine later, so will take a pic or two :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 22 queries.