Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Its not my Crank sensor either!!  (Read 3973 times)

Taxi_Driver

Its not my Crank sensor either!!
« on: 21 October 2006, 18:13:27 »

Ok so i did start to have a go at changing it myself.....but gave up after 1/2hr and took it to the garage.

After letting it cool down for an hour....so they wouldnt burn themselves, they did it.....took em about an hour and they removed the dipstick metal shroud to get access to it.

And at one stage i was very hopefull it was going to be the crank sensor, coz they had to move my car 1/2 way through and with the old crank sensor removed, the car still started!! after a 5 sec struggle tho. So I thought hmmmm.....same symptoms with it connected!!

But its made no difference.......in fact i lie, it has, its worse  >:( .

EML is now on all the time......with a P0700 code that wont reset
And when it struggles to start (5secs) and goes into limp mode it records P1700 as well, tho this will reset.

Good news is the cam sensor error has disapeared!! Dont ask me why tho!! Thats confused me......change the crank sensor and the cam sensor error goes away......but the fault doesnt!

I am now totally lost as whats wrong with it!

So its now had....

MAF sensor
Engine ECU
Gearbox ECU
Cam sensor
Crank sensor

Only good thing that has happend today.......it decided to drip water while it was at the garage.....and we found the leak......jubilee clip not tight on a T joint next to HBV......so my water leak is fixed  :)
And i also changed the plastic washer to fix the clunk of doom on the drivers door.....thanks to Jaime's guide  :y

Anybody any ideas.........???

Has anyone with a 2.2 with the same prob.....resolved it yet?

Cheers

STMO123

Re: Its not my Crank sensor either!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2006, 18:44:44 »

Jesus Christ TD! I take it the car is still under warranty? How long till it runs out?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2006, 18:58:22 »

Jesus Christ TD! I take it the car is still under warranty? How long till it runs out?

It is .....until next month....networkq (well sorta).

Vx dealer changed the MAF sensor
Engine ECU
Gearbox ECU
Cam Sensor

Under warranty......then said basically we wont look at it again until the the lpg conversion is removed....yes physically removed.
Prob is....if i shout and stamp my feet....vx dealer might tell networkq its being used as a taxi.....which invalidates the warranty......so any further work or even worse, work that has already been done, i might be liable for paying for!

So thats the reason I shelled out £60 for the crank sensor and £40 to my local garage to fit it.

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2006, 19:02:13 »

Surely the time you are spending in the garage and not cabbing must be costing you a fortune. You're gonna have to buy a toyota mate (Sorry :-[)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2006, 19:02:27 »

From the codes, sounds like g/box ain't happy...   ...I'd go with a fluid/filter change and see what happens then.

Can your cheapo lead read g/box? Any codes in there?
« Last Edit: 21 October 2006, 19:03:11 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2006, 19:06:04 »

Surely the time you are spending in the garage and not cabbing must be costing you a fortune. You're gonna have to buy a toyota mate (Sorry :-[)

You dont have to tell me  >:(

Probably about a grand if i added it up  >:(

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2006, 19:15:56 »

From the codes, sounds like g/box ain't happy...   ...I'd go with a fluid/filter change and see what happens then.

I dont understand why P0700 wont reset  :( and why its got worse (ie not resetting P0700) after the crank sensor changed.

Cheapo lead used to able to read g/b codes untill vx changed the g/b ecu, now it wont  :(

Ok....i'll go for g/b oil and filter change next then.....

If that doesnt sort it......then im undecided what to do..... :-/

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2006, 19:23:10 »

If its affecting your business, theres only one thing you can do TD :(

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2006, 19:23:42 »

BUY mine :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2006, 19:32:57 »

BUY mine :y

Sorry m8.....its too old.  :( ...i can get max 6 years old on non exec cars by local council rules....
Local council only counts jags, mercs, etc as exec cars....then you can get 7 years

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2006, 19:38:20 »

I dont understand why P0700 wont reset  :( and why its got worse (ie not resetting P0700) after the crank sensor changed.

Cheapo lead used to able to read g/b codes untill vx changed the g/b ecu, now it wont  :(

Ok....i'll go for g/b oil and filter change next then.....

So cheapo lead can't read new g/box ecus.

the 1700 code mentioned CAN. I didn't think Omegas had CAN apart from CID...??

I will happily read your g/box ecu if you are ever out this way...
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2006, 19:45:43 »

Sorted. All you need is a fare to Northamptonshire! :D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2006, 20:04:34 »

;D

Have you read the TIS for fixing the prob Jaime? .....i just did (oooppss no i didnt coz i dont have it  :-[ )

P1700.....error...click on that....then asks if you have P0700 as well....click on the tick to confirm....then it says its Engine or Gearbox ECU is the fault......so i guess thats why vx dealer changed em both  ;D

Im happy to have you read the codes any time you want Jaime......im getting to the end of my tether on this car now......PM me if you like....when you are free and I'll be there  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2006, 20:13:55 »

;D

Have you read the TIS for fixing the prob Jaime? .....i just did (oooppss no i didnt coz i dont have it  :-[ )

P1700.....error...click on that....then asks if you have P0700 as well....click on the tick to confirm....then it says its Engine or Gearbox ECU is the fault......so i guess thats why vx dealer changed em both  ;D

Im happy to have you read the codes any time you want Jaime......im getting to the end of my tether on this car now......PM me if you like....when you are free and I'll be there  :y
I had, but it did mention reading g/box codes...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2006, 20:43:36 »

;D

I had, but it did mention reading g/box codes...

Didnt see that bit.... :-? but did see a bit about reseting immobiliser  :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2006, 21:05:53 »

did see a bit about reseting immobiliser  :-?
Only if changing engine ecu I believe...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 21 October 2006, 21:33:55 »

did see a bit about reseting immobiliser  :-?
Only if changing engine ecu I believe...

Ahhh that'll be the reason then

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2006, 21:55:10 »

Dunno if this helps......but now the crank sensor has been changed.....

Its messing about now even when its cold  :(

Just been out in it......cold engine....struggled to start (5secs) and in limp mode.....restarted and ok.....tho EML stays on ( as P0700 wont reset)

Drove 5 mins to takeaway.....and was away from car for 5 mins.....got back in and struggled to start again and in limp mode again.....restart and again ok.

I cannot get my head round this now......if it was consistant....ie every start it struggled and went into limp mode it would make fault finding easier  ::)

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2006, 22:32:28 »

Sounds to me as if you really need a day off in Northampton, that is if a Tech 2 can read and display real time data.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2006, 22:46:02 »

I reckon the crank sensor is now out of synchronisation with the cam sensor.

Is there anyway of testing this with a TechII?
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2006, 06:57:29 »

Dont see how it can be AA.....the sensor is the bit that stays still....so its only changing a fixed part.

Im wondering if theres summat else thats been disturbed, causing the fault.
Anyone know if theres any other sensors close the the crank sensor.....maybe a gearbox sensor  :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2006, 07:22:58 »

Dont see how it can be AA.....the sensor is the bit that stays still....so its only changing a fixed part.

Im wondering if theres summat else thats been disturbed, causing the fault.
Anyone know if theres any other sensors close the the crank sensor.....maybe a gearbox sensor  :-/

Just clutching at straws, TD. :(
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2006, 11:13:02 »

Sounds to me as if you really need a day off in Northampton, that is if a Tech 2 can read and display real time data.
Real one can, cheapo with current software cannot.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2006, 11:14:08 »

Only way that can happen is if the crank shaft has moved in relation to camshaft. ie the cambelt has slipped. And it wouldn't bring up a fault code...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2006, 15:45:59 »

Next step I see......is take it back to my local garage....they have a generic code reader and see if that will read the g/b ecu.

If that carnt then I think a trip to Jaimes will be in order.

I was having a poke about to see if I could see anything else and noticed 2 brown wires (covered in plastic tubing, that has split, hence why i know its got two brown wires in it) that comes out of the main loom by the ecu and then runs down beside the dipstick and disapears behind the o/s engine mount. I gently tugged on these wires, just to check they were plugged into summat, and they are. But just wondered what they were for??

Gascon

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2006, 21:28:22 »

Hi
I have been having same problem as you, I have the cam sensor and crank sensor replaced and it made no difference.
A couple of days back I had a look at the fuse box checking fuse no 9 and fuse no 26 (Automatic transmission fuses). When I went to pull them out, well, they didnt need much pulling, they were so slack I was suprised they were still in place and had not falling out. With a thin blade tried to push the fuse holder connectors together, replaced both fuses(old ones were ok) but now the new ones feel tighter in the fuse holder.
I have not seen the EML for three days, starts first turn of the key.
The question is , is all this a a bit of wishfull thinking of my part or am I on to something here.
I wont touch anything else for a few days and see what happens

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2006, 21:37:20 »

Hi
I have been having same problem as you, I have the cam sensor and crank sensor replaced and it made no difference.
A couple of days back I had a look at the fuse box checking fuse no 9 and fuse no 26 (Automatic transmission fuses). When I went to pull them out, well, they didnt need much pulling, they were so slack I was suprised they were still in place and had not falling out. With a thin blade tried to push the fuse holder connectors together, replaced both fuses(old ones were ok) but now the new ones feel tighter in the fuse holder.
The question is , is all this a a bit of wishfull thinking of my part or am I on to something here.

Worth a try TD.
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2006, 07:57:02 »

Hi

Worth a try TD.

Certainly is, I will have a look this morning  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2006, 08:06:51 »

The terrible thing here is that a competent mechanic with tech 2 should be able to monitor the live data from the engine and gearbox ecu and see the fault occur, this should have been done by the dealer some time ago. I actually think that the man to see would be Jim Grayson as he is very hot on the systems diagnosis.

Looking at the scms, the gearbox ecu communicates via a CAN bus connection with the engine ecu and I still suspect its the gearbox ecu putting the engine into limp mode, this could be proven by actually re-configuring the engine ECU to tell it there is a manual box fitted......one other possibility is the ABS ecu as this uses the same CAN bus connection, this could for some reason be backing the power off and forcing limp mode but , is less likely.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2006, 09:17:16 »

The terrible thing here is that a competent mechanic with tech 2 should be able to monitor the live data from the engine and gearbox ecu and see the fault occur, this should have been done by the dealer some time ago. I actually think that the man to see would be Jim Grayson as he is very hot on the systems diagnosis.

Looking at the scms, the gearbox ecu communicates via a CAN bus connection with the engine ecu and I still suspect its the gearbox ecu putting the engine into limp mode, this could be proven by actually re-configuring the engine ECU to tell it there is a manual box fitted......one other possibility is the ABS ecu as this uses the same CAN bus connection, this could for some reason be backing the power off and forcing limp mode but , is less likely.
If setting engine ecu to manual g/box config, does that mean ignition wont retard on gear changes, making it surge a bit, and also strain autobox?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2006, 09:23:42 »

It will surge a bit, but wont be to bad as the torque converter will take most of it....its pruely to help pin point the fault in reality and not ment to be a long term solution. What you have to remember is that the retard function is only for comfort purposes and wasn't present on main stream cars until electronic ignition appeared.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2006, 10:18:35 »

It will surge a bit, but wont be to bad as the torque converter will take most of it....its pruely to help pin point the fault in reality and not ment to be a long term solution. What you have to remember is that the retard function is only for comfort purposes and wasn't present on main stream cars until electronic ignition appeared.

So if TD tried that and g/box went into limp but not engine, that would imply g/box prob.  So get a snapshot of g/box?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2006, 11:28:50 »

I would be looking at gearbox anyway as the ECU is simply acting upon the message sent to it....i.e. please go into reduced power limp mode.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2006, 11:31:55 »

I checked the two fuses and both were ok and securely fitted.....so doesnt appear to be that  :(

Just come back from local garage.....they have a snapon diag reader. The descriptions are taken from the snapon reader

It read with ign on and engine off for the engine ecu

P0340 Cam sensor incorrect signal
P700 Can bus error
P1700 Can bus error

And for the gearbox ecu

P0727 Can bus error
P1781 Can bus error

We tried to reset all the engine codes and g/b codes which it did, summat the cheapo tech2 couldnt do!!
(cheapo tech2 couldnt get rid off the P0700 code)

We waited for 15 mins and then started the meega with the code reader still plugged in, sure enuf it struggled to start again and EML came on again

Codes were this time

Engine ecu

P0340 cam sensor incorrect signal
P1700 can bus error

G/b ecu

P0727 can bus error
P1781 can bus error

Clearing the codes and trying a restart, it started fine and no codes flagged.

Anybody reckon its worth changing the cam sensor again (I have no proof that vx actually did change it, they said they did during a phone call to their service manager)

Or is P0340 to be expected when starting? altho if so why doesnt it flag it on a 'clean' start?

Their snapon tester seems to be able to do quite a bit including live data stuff.....but not sure if it could reprogram engine ecu to say manual gearbox  :-/

Cheers
« Last Edit: 23 October 2006, 11:34:30 by Taxi_Driver »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2006, 11:38:06 »

No, as I suspected, its pointing towards the CAN bus from gearbox to engine ECU......I wonder if the software in both (and the ABS unit) is the latest and correct....something is buggering up the CAN bus comms......

Its reasonable to assume (or maybe it isnt) that the gearbo and engien ECU are correct and the latest software but, I wonder if the ABS one is......

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #35 on: 23 October 2006, 12:32:13 »

Hmmm.....I remember AA saying that his dealer said his had gearbox faults when they changed his cam sensor, then went away.

I wonder if his dealer updated all the ecu's to latest firmware at the same time....might have been told by vx in luton to do it  :-/

I assume thats a vx dealer job then  :(.....update all the ecu's?

Im fairly certain engine ecu is the latest (vx dealer had it a week after changing engine ecu to update it coz they didnt when they fitted it), dont know about g/b ecu and wouldnt think they have touched the abs ecu

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2006, 12:41:45 »

Its questionable if the ABS one needs doing as there are a couple of different versions of unit one of which does not use the CAM bus.

I would think its very importnat to ensure that the gearbox AND engine ECU have the latest and compatble SW in them because the 2.2 (and 2.6/3.2) were different to earlier gearbox ECU's as these did not have CAM bus......I wonder if the muppets have used an early gearbox software version without CAM bus support.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 October 2006, 12:49:11 »

Its questionable if the ABS one needs doing as there are a couple of different versions of unit one of which does not use the CAM bus.

I would think its very importnat to ensure that the gearbox AND engine ECU have the latest and compatble SW in them because the 2.2 (and 2.6/3.2) were different to earlier gearbox ECU's as these did not have CAM bus......I wonder if the muppets have used an early gearbox software version without CAM bus support.
I would have thought that it wouldn't allow you to put an incompatible software on an ECU?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 October 2006, 12:56:09 »

Who knows.....it might well be that the latest ECU is backward compatible with the older systems (would make sense) so it might be possible.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 October 2006, 13:22:09 »

Bit of nerver ending story with u eh TD but really m8 i hope u get it sorted and good luck with it m8 :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Gascon

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 October 2006, 16:13:42 »

Hi

Oh No! It was wishfull thinking fault reappeared today again :-[

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 October 2006, 16:38:57 »

As far as I can remember, this is what I think they did, with the help of Vx tech. support.

Latest ECU software (gearbox and engine) - didn't cure the fault.

Changed ECU (gearbox and engine) - didn't cure the fault, put originals back.

Changed the crank sensor - didn't cure the fault, put original back.

Changed the cam sensor - bingo!

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 23 October 2006, 16:39:57 by Auto_Addict »
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #42 on: 23 October 2006, 17:14:57 »

Who knows.....it might well be that the latest ECU is backward compatible with the older systems (would make sense) so it might be possible.

But wouldnt it be doing it all the time? And I wouldnt get any clean starts?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #43 on: 23 October 2006, 17:18:45 »

Bit of nerver ending story with u eh TD but really m8 i hope u get it sorted and good luck with it m8 :y

Cheers LSG.....i will be glad when its sorted

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #44 on: 23 October 2006, 17:40:55 »

As far as I can remember, this is what I think they did, with the help of Vx tech. support.

Latest ECU software (gearbox and engine) - didn't cure the fault.

Changed ECU (gearbox and engine) - didn't cure the fault, put originals back.

Changed the crank sensor - didn't cure the fault, put original back.

Changed the cam sensor - bingo!

Hope this helps.

Trouble is AA, what the dealer tells you they have done and what they have actually done (when its warranty work) can be different imo.

Reason I mentioned changing the cam sensor again (if it has been).
When i went to pick the car up on that occasion, service desk told me nothing had been done and the service manager was going to ring me........when he didnt, I called him......it was in this conversation i suggested they might like to try changing the cam sensor......it was then he told me they had changed it.....so service desk said they did nothing, service manager says they did!!! And it was this conversation that service manager told me he wouldnt be prepared to look at it again until the lpg conversion was removed.
So hands up who thinks its been changed and hands up who think it hasnt.......coz im not positive it has!

Ive another question.....probably for Jaime really......every piece of firmware ive seen has a version number somewhere.....is it possible to read the firmware version from the g/b and engine ecu?.....and if so.....i guess you would know what versions are the latest ones?

If the answer is yes I can feel another trip to my local garage to see if their snapon diag kit can read it.

Cheers guys i really appreciate your help  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #45 on: 23 October 2006, 17:46:41 »

Hi

Sorry to hear that....... :(

IIRC you also have a 2.2 with the same fault codes?
Have you read the g/b codes to see what they are?

And i think theres another 2.2 on this site with again the same codes  :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 October 2006, 18:34:35 »

Has anyone got any contact with Vx Tech Services, this is a known fault on 2.2's.
I like red cars

Gascon

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2006, 03:13:37 »

Hi

Sorry to hear that....... :(

IIRC you also have a 2.2 with the same fault codes?
Have you read the g/b codes to see what they are?

And i think theres another 2.2 on this site with again the same codes  :-/

Hi,
I get same fault codes as you, Ive been using my cheap Tech2 tool to read the codes
Engine
              P0340
              P1700
Gearbox
             p1781 engine torque signal circuit
             p1740 torque reduction signal circuit
             p0727 engine speed input circuit no signal
The codes description that I have added are as stated on a codes list that I have

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.