Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: spark plugs  (Read 2298 times)

Wayne

spark plugs
« on: 15 September 2007, 16:17:57 »

can anyone sent me a picture of the Omega engine pointing out where the spark plugs are?
mines a 1998 S Reg CDX 2.5 V6 Estate

i just bought 4 x "Bosch Plus4" spark plugs and want to fit em myself, ha ha

is it easy peasy? and have i made a GOOD choice, cost me £19.99 from Halfords

mahony

• Intermediate Member
  • london
    • omega elite 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2007, 16:25:09 »

If you only bought four plugs your going to have to buy another two for a 2.5 as there six in all,drivers side quite easy on a 2.5/3.0 but passenger side a bit of a pain,you have to move the cable tray out of the way to get to the rear  plugs,sorry have not got a pic.also i have used the super fours in my omega with no problem,others i believe have reported uneven idling with them fitted and reccomend the standard vauxhall plugs (which are also bosch). im sure theres a how to in the how to section.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2007, 16:29:17 by mahony »

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2007, 16:35:35 »

Damm!
so i just wasted £19.99 ? Aaarrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AND i need to buy another 2 ?  as Homer says........... "DOH" !!!

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2007, 17:49:19 »

Just buy another two

I now use NGK 2 electrode jobbies because mine runs on gas

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2007, 17:49:45 »

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2007, 18:12:25 »

Bosch makes the spark plugs for GM, so it does not matter if you buy them branded as Bosch or as GM/Vauxhall. In fact, the Vauxhall /GM branded plugs have the Bosch P/N stamped on the metal base. The Vauxhall/GM branded plugs are slightly cheaper than the Bosch ones, but only by a Pound or so.

The original plugs for the 2.5/3.0L V6 were twin-electrode, later V6 engines came with the quad-electrode plugs. The quad-electrode plugs can be retro-fitted to older cars than came originally with the twin-electrode, but the performance gains are very small if at all.

So your 'Bosch Super-4' will be fine, and as said you need to buy two more. Incidentally, the correct Bosch model for the Omega B V6 is designated '520'.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Wayne

« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2007, 18:35:51 »

oh i see,  my spark plugs are here, i chose them after looking at the Halfords in-store charts to se which ones go with my car

so i bought these as it said, they are 510 plugs
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/3ef0oaUbKSq3-PpTFcjsAFz4XNPejMnGVYnZ_l.jpg

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2007, 19:01:57 »

1 plug for every cylinder, v6 meaning you need 6. Best returning them and get someone with a vx trade card to get you gm ones - you will get all 6 with change from your initial outlay  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Wayne

« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2007, 19:11:37 »

no problem Markie, i will just purchase 2 more, i aint got me receipt! i binned it! what a idiot i am!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2007, 19:40:42 »

no problem Markie, i will just purchase 2 more, i aint got me receipt! i binned it! what a idiot i am!

Keep the receipt, it helps when you sell the car - its part of its service history :y
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2007, 21:28:00 »

...The quad-electrode plugs can be retro-fitted to older cars than came originally with the twin-electrode, but the performance gains are very small if at all....

Correction: the quad-electrode spark plugs are meant to increase the service interval from 40k/4y to 80k/8y, so this is not performance related, but personally I would change them every 40k/4y anyway (which is what I did on mine).

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2007, 21:31:37 »

...The quad-electrode plugs can be retro-fitted to older cars than came originally with the twin-electrode, but the performance gains are very small if at all....

Correction: the quad-electrode spark plugs are meant to increase the service interval from 40k/4y to 80k/8y, so this is not performance related, but personally I would change them every 40k/4y anyway (which is what I did on mine).

I would still change at 20k ;)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2007, 22:03:10 »

mines a 1998 S Reg CDX 2.5 V6 Estate

i just bought 4 x "Bosch Plus4" spark plugs and want to fit em myself, ha ha

The clue is in the engine lay out .... V6 tells you that you have 6 cylinders in a V formation!  ;)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2007, 23:02:13 »

This is what you need according to the Bosch catalogue:

You can also use either Bosch P/N FGR8KQE0 or P/N FLR8LDCU.

These codes are stamped on the side of the plug. Can you check and see what is stamped on the plugs you got from Halfords?

« Last Edit: 15 September 2007, 23:06:09 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2007, 11:55:00 »

This is what you need according to the Bosch catalogue:

You can also use either Bosch P/N FGR8KQE0 or P/N FLR8LDCU.

These codes are stamped on the side of the plug. Can you check and see what is stamped on the plugs you got from Halfords?

THere are 2 missing 8-)

Mine were totally knackered at 90,000 don't know if original or not, but it brought up EMS errors!

Seems fine on twin electrode NGKs

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2007, 18:06:16 »

I would still change at 20k ;)

I agree with this.

If I have a nice car, I always do mine at 10-15k... probably OTT, but it's not exactly a big job..

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2007, 19:38:11 »

Plug changes, well I remember them from years ago

Leaded petrol killed plugs, a 2 storke would need plugs probably every 3 or 4 thousand.

They used to be changed every 10,000 on cars.

Unleaded greatly increased life, 20,000 minimum life span now it seems.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2007, 20:08:13 »

Leaded petrol killed plugs, a 2 storke would need plugs probably every 3 or 4 thousand.

As MJ says quad electrode....vx recommend 80k......twin....40k

I change mine every 10k with twins.....your pushing it a bit Martin....seeing as your on lpg  ;)

Martin_1962

« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2007, 20:53:20 »

As MJ says quad electrode....vx recommend 80k......twin....40k

I change mine every 10k with twins.....your pushing it a bit Martin....seeing as your on lpg  ;)

With plugs usually of they look OK they are OK

I reckon 20,000 with LPG and NGK

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2007, 20:53:56 »

i had quads on my cav sri for a couple of years took them out and they still looked new

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2007, 22:24:21 »

I actually replaced my original set of quad-electrode at 40k (instead of the 80k quoted by Vx). The old plugs seemed OK and there was no noticeable difference to the engine... so I recon 40k is about right.

These are the 6 Bosch plugs that were factory fitted to my car and came out at 40k:

Yes in the olden days we used to re-gap every 3k and replace every 6k... but spark plug last very long these days. My wife's Toyota is specified as 100,000km (63k miles), and the Toyota garage said to stick by it - they refused to change them at the 30k service even though I specifically asked them to...

« Last Edit: 16 September 2007, 22:25:37 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2007, 22:37:19 »

........ My wife's Toyota is specified as 100,000km (63k miles), and the Toyota garage said to stick by it - they refused to change them at the 30k service even though I specifically asked them to...

A friend had a Camry years ago, plugsfor it were around £30 a piece. If they're still as 'cheap' perhaps that's why they leave 'em in fro 100 000kms.  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2007, 10:34:09 »

My quad electrodes were still fine when changed at 40k. Thinking about it, they're in my wife's MX-5 now after a substitution when chasing a misfire :-[

Quad electrodes gives more surface for the spark to eat away at and therefore longer life but no other significant benefits. In fact the spark is slightly more shrouded by the extra electrodes.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2007, 11:08:27 »

The original plugs for the 2.5/3.0L V6 were twin-electrode, later V6 engines came with the quad-electrode plugs. The quad-electrode plugs can be retro-fitted to older cars than came originally with the twin-electrode, but the performance gains are very small if at all.

So your 'Bosch Super-4' will be fine, and as said you need to buy two more. Incidentally, the correct Bosch model for the Omega B V6 is designated '520'.

Its worse than that, the peformance gains are zero and the quads in theory only offer extended plug life.

Given that the twin electrode ones last 40K miles and its not unknown for the quads to work loose before the 80K service life specified and considering that the extra electrodes can actulay hinder the flame front…..

….. I would buy standard twin electrode Vx ones.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2007, 11:21:02 »

Incidentally, the quad-electrode idea is not a new one... the original plugs in my 1979 Alfa Romeo were Lodge 2HL, which were quad-electrode. Butt somehow the idea did not catch-on until recently. Not to be confused with Alfa's 'Twin Spark', which means two spark plugs per cylinder, and which similarly did not catch-on outside Alfa Romeo...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2007, 11:41:39 »

Incidentally, the quad-electrode idea is not a new one... the original plugs in my 1979 Alfa Romeo were Lodge 2HL, which were quad-electrode. Butt somehow the idea did not catch-on until recently. Not to be confused with Alfa's 'Twin Spark', which means two spark plugs per cylinder, and which similarly did not catch-on outside Alfa Romeo...

Unless on an aero engine or a 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom Two.....yes, its was not Alfa who were first to use it!

Martin_1962

« Reply #26 on: 17 September 2007, 11:56:39 »

Quad electrodes gives more surface for the spark to eat away at and therefore longer life but no other significant benefits. In fact the spark is slightly more shrouded by the extra electrodes.

Kevin

This is why they are not recommended for LPG conversions

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2007, 12:08:38 »

Unless on an aero engine or a 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom Two.....yes, its was not Alfa who were first to use it!

I see... well I did not have either one of those so I wouldn't know!   ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2007, 12:19:57 »

Yep, the Rolls has an impressive setup…..two plugs per cylinder and two distributors (one at the front of the engine and one at the rear) which are linked by a small prop style shaft. This shaft has a centrifugal advance setup in it so as the revs increase the time between the sparks reduces…..a REAL work of art.

But then on a car currently worth best part of 500K!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.