Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Had new HBV Fitted today, made no difference  (Read 1590 times)

Wayne

Had new HBV Fitted today, made no difference
« on: 20 June 2009, 17:06:18 »

Hi guys

had my new VX HBV fitted today, made no difference at all with regard to the heating working better, i still have to leave one of the vac pipes off to get heat, if i connect the offending pipe back on, i get no heat

i also explained my coolant loss to the guy that fixed it and he said if i keep having to top the coolant up every other day with a quarter of a cup full, it has to be head gasket,
he then went to a very long explanation of how it all works.......
he showed me the old HBV and its perfectly ok, even demonstrated how it still works ok, so i paid £48 for new one from VX
(which he has fitted anyway) only to find out the old one was ok,   
saying that, i know VX wouldnt have took the new one back, they would have charged me a stupid handling charge to put it back in stock....

i really need to take it to another garage
(other than VX and have that test done again)

thanks for all your help anyway

« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 17:07:09 by Wayne »

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
Re: Had new HBV Fitted today, made no difference
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2009, 17:22:36 »

Wayne

You could try flushing the heater matrix out if you haven't already. Before putting it down to head gasket I would strip off the plenum and inlet and then pressurise the coolant system and see if you can see where the water is leaking from. Could be oil cooler plate or thermostat?
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2009, 17:41:38 »

thanks Scottie, i`m unfortunately not that competent to attempt any of that, people on here know i have to pay people to do "car stuff"
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 17:45:06 by Wayne »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2009, 19:22:41 »

HBV wouldn't fix the heating issue - that needs the dash off to work out whats going wrong with the vacs.

Has it cured your coolant leak though?
Grumpy old man

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2009, 20:06:09 »

Hi Mate

im just gonna fill my coolant level up, then go for a spin for 30 minutes, if i wake tomorrow and find its dropped, then it looks like the new HBV hasnt cured it and its head gasket yeah? -  as i said earlier, the old HBV was fine, nothing wrong with it at all

i have also ordered some Wynns Radiator and Coolant leak stuff, wont hurt to try it surely...

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2009, 23:24:07 »

if the leak continues come back on here, there are a few possible causes other than head gaskit and hbv. As said on your mammoth thread, most garages are not familiar with the omega v6, esp the fact that the v6 has a coolant feed through the middle of the v to cool the oil cooler. This has 3 or 4 possible leak sites. It is possible your HG is leaking externally and not into the engine but this is most unlikely.

Would suggest a pressure test of the coolent system with the plenum, inlet, and maniflod off, and see where it comes out....If it still leaks.

iirc your heat issue was diagnoesd by The Boy via tech2, and will be quite involved. But is not related to your leak and HBV.

If your ever down Reading way jcn 10 m4, pm me if you like. see if we can sort something out re the leak, this is dragging on....

Stop leak potions are a last resort, only ever use one small bottle or you risk blocking the cooling system, and i suspect your leak is too severe anyway. It is available at any halfords, if you do go down that route, no need to let your garage rip you off for that as well.

See how you go :)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2009, 09:33:51 »

Surely reading through this link will tell you what everyone already thinks?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1239116477/0
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2009, 10:35:16 »

Ahhhhhhh........I didn't realise it was the same member as that thread!  :-X

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2009, 23:20:17 »

Ahhhhhhh........I didn't realise it was the same member as that thread!  :-X
Still needs advice, we all have to start somewhere. :-)

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2009, 08:09:54 »

Of course Chris, what I was saying is that the problem is probably beyond my "expertise" also so I will keep quiet and allow those with more experience to advise!  :y

Alex Wood

• Greenhithe, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2009, 10:24:08 »

I'd say it's time to get someone on here to look at it, even if it means a long drive it'll be worth doing. The vacuum solenoid behind the glovebox is something I'd never heard of until today but the leak is something that an experienced Omega diy mechanic will be pretty confident in diagnosing.

It involves stripping off the plenum and induction malarkey, all dead simple for those of us who've done it a few times, then having a good poke around for the source of the leak. I found some sludgy water in the valley of the V when I stripped mine down, then dried it off and pressurised the cooling system using a spare expansion bottle cap with a tyre valve in it, at the suggestion of various ABS and OOF members. A few pumps on a footpump to pressurise the coolant and it started trickling out from the oil cooler cover plate. Plate off, new sealant and it seems ok now. My point is that although most local mechanics would be capable of this, they don't spend enough time on Omegas to know straight away what to do so they'll always start from square one. People on here will go for the most common sources of leaks and they'll get there in no time. If you're ever anywhere near the Dartford crossing I'd happily take a look but I think there's plenty of OOFers closer to you who'd have it nailed within an hour or so.

Wayne

« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2009, 14:15:09 »

Hi Alex

i`m up for a drive to you!  lol

i been out this morning and looked at the coolant level, i dont think i have lost any,  from all this and everyone helping me, all i want is to have my mind put at rest as to whether the head gasket problem is there, i can then keep on driving the car knowing that is ok, or its about to give up the ghost, then i can buy something else...
i probably only do about 2000 - 3000 miles per year if that, so it may even last me another 2 years, who knows!  i can live with the pipe hanging off so that i get heat, no big deal, though i`m not sure by it working it it will make any difference? will my air-con be colder, i have noticed its quite chilly, but not like it used to be, had it re-gassed 10 months ago, i do use it all the time, which i know your supposed to
« Last Edit: 23 June 2009, 14:17:48 by Wayne »

Wayne

« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2009, 15:05:48 »

well, i havent lost any coolant whatsoever now, so that's good news!  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

i have noticed that my Air-Con isnt very cold, its cold but not REALLY cold, it only just takes the edge off of a really hot day,
(even when set to Low on the climate control panel)
would this have anything to do with my vac solenoid problem and the fact that i still have to leave the pipe off of in the engine to get heat?
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 15:07:10 by Wayne »

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2009, 15:30:16 »

well, i havent lost any coolant whatsoever now, so that's good news!  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

i have noticed that my Air-Con isnt very cold, its cold but not REALLY cold, it only just takes the edge off of a really hot day,
(even when set to Low on the climate control panel)
would this have anything to do with my vac solenoid problem and the fact that i still have to leave the pipe off of in the engine to get heat?

Thank **** for that. Not the first hbv to fix a head gaskit. :-)

Re ac is the ac pump pulley turning(bottom right pulley on aux belt in engine bay) when lo selected and eco off? If not you need an ac speciest out to diagnose. If it turning then cold air is not reaching the vents which could be flap motor related. Re pipe in engine bay, if you need to remove the pipe to get heat, would it follow that you need to refit it to get ac?

Wayne

« Reply #14 on: 05 July 2009, 15:36:28 »

Hi Chris, just gonna go and have a play with the AC, dont get me wrong, the AC is working, but just not really ice ice cold, i will re-fit that loose pipe and see if it goes colder, i have a feeling it wont though...
when i took my Omega to Kwik-Fit last year, they done this thing where they service your air-con and if they dont get it 1 degree colder, you dont pay a penny, so i drove out there without paying, lol

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2009, 15:53:58 »

Hi Chris, just gonna go and have a play with the AC, dont get me wrong, the AC is working, but just not really ice ice cold, i will re-fit that loose pipe and see if it goes colder, i have a feeling it wont though...
when i took my Omega to Kwik-Fit last year, they done this thing where they service your air-con and if they dont get it 1 degree colder, you dont pay a penny, so i drove out there without paying, lol

Which pipe would that be? I sense a scam if you get cold air when re fitted. Remove pipe, visit ac centre, service ac, dont pay when no improvement, re fit pipe, bingo free ac service. Maybe not. :-)

pfj101

• Halesowen, West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 July 2009, 13:05:55 »

Hi folks,

just for info I have replaced HBV on my Meeg using the guide on here which was excellent (even down to recommending tea, as a plumber I can relate to such things!).

Found the Haynes manual to be a bit wooly on this matter so was really glad of the help.

Fine bunch of people on here, vastly more knowledgable about the finer points of Meegs and their engines.

All power to you chaps,  :y
You are never as good as you think you are, and never as bad as other people say you are.

pfj101

• Halesowen, West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2009, 13:07:17 »

And chapesses of course....... :)
You are never as good as you think you are, and never as bad as other people say you are.

Wayne

« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2009, 01:52:04 »

Guys

i still haven't lost any coolant, which is good!

what i have noticed is that when i look into the coolant each morning, it isnt red, even if i keep changing it with a reflush,  it seems to be a fluid that has what can only be described as "bits of tiny white dandruff looking flakes"    any ideas? maybe coz its because were in a hard water area?  it smells a bit funny as well

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2009, 18:56:44 »

has it had tap water in it? Tut tut.

Wayne

« Reply #20 on: 18 July 2009, 12:48:18 »

well, i always add the red stuff to it, and add a tiny bit of tap water yeah,  i didnt know you werent allowed to, lol,     what else should i use?  or do you just add the red stuff and thats it? no water?

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2009, 19:37:09 »

depends if its 50/50 ready mixed, or neat ? What product did you buy?

Wayne

« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2009, 23:07:51 »

i just buy the Vauxhall red stuff

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2009, 23:14:05 »

i just buy the Vauxhall red stuff

Diluting it as you did is exactly what you're supposed to do. I use tap water, but our water is very soft.  :y

Wayne

« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2009, 23:17:28 »

is it worth me doing another flush?
i have done the flushing many times, but after i have re-filled the coolant tank with nice fresh red stuff, within a day or 2, it doesnt stay red as it should, is this normal?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.