Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 3102 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Car insurance
« on: 13 February 2024, 15:22:05 »

My car insurance is due at the beginning of April and, since I'm lying in bed, bored shitless, I thought I would get a few ballpark figure quotes. I knew it would go up as I've passed the age of 70.
Got a few, ranging from just shy of £800 up to around £950. For a 1.6 diesel Astra  :'(
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2024, 15:50:59 »

Funny enough I've done exactly the same this afternoon after reading horror stories about Range Rover premiums, I paid £320 last year with LV I've had quotes ranging from £240 - £720 AA being  the dearest it's not due for a while yet so will be interesting to see what LVs renewal is like.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2024, 16:35:00 »

It's not the car with me, I think that counts for very little. It's my age, the area I live in and the 20,000 miles pa that does it.
When wifey's car was set alight about four years ago, the bastard did six others in one night. We were lucky, someone knocked on the door and told us and I managed to put it out with only damage to the rear bumper. One poor fella had his van destroyed, along with his front door and windows. The others were somewhere in between. Seven insurance claims in one night in one postcode, the computer thinks we live in Beirut.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2024, 17:12:04 »

That's not good ridiculous though when some lunatic is going round torching vehicles, I only do around 6,000 miles a year & the RR is probably only worth about £3,500 fortunately  both our cars are garaged when not being used, one guy on the RR forum has been quoted £8,000 for a car that's worth £40,000 but the value of newer Range Rovers are plummeting due to so many being stolen, I'm so glad I never swopped mine a few months ago I was quoted around £1400 for an SVR which  I thought was crazy god knows what it would be now.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2024, 17:16:28 »

It's not the car with me, I think that counts for very little. It's my age, the area I live in and the 20,000 miles pa that does it.
When wifey's car was set alight about four years ago, the bastard did six others in one night. We were lucky, someone knocked on the door and told us and I managed to put it out with only damage to the rear bumper. One poor fella had his van destroyed, along with his front door and windows. The others were somewhere in between. Seven insurance claims in one night in one postcode, the computer thinks we live in Beirut.
:(
It's also gone up to subsidise rich EV owners who's cars get written off with the slightest scratch because no one wants to fix thermo galactic bombs (EVs)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2024, 18:28:20 »

Did they catch the little shit(s) :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2024, 18:38:28 »

What do you think?
Did they catch the little shit(s) :-\
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2024, 19:21:39 »

I usually go with one of the better known companies, probably because I think they're more likely to be easier to claim from should I need to. But I've just been looking at quotes from Go Skippy and other ones I've never heard of. Less than half the price, about time I stopped being loyal to the big boys.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2024, 19:54:45 »

Mine jumped from 500 ish to over 900 and that was still better than the Meerkats :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2024, 20:26:43 »

Mine went from £350 to almost £500 last month. That was from a broker in town.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2024, 11:12:00 »

Around £160 for the classic and highly desirable Vauxhall.......although she costs over £700PA to tax. :-\

Roughly £350 for the M240i X-Drive.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2024, 11:15:58 »

What do you think?
Did they catch the little shit(s)
:-\

Dirty Harry would have caught them and then strung the little bastards up by their happy sacks.. ::)......but I imagine modern coppers spent their time learning pronouns while listing all 173 genders during a 'diversity and inclusion' course.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2024, 11:18:35 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2024, 11:20:18 »

I usually go with one of the better known companies, probably because I think they're more likely to be easier to claim from should I need to. But I've just been looking at quotes from Go Skippy and other ones I've never heard of. Less than half the price, about time I stopped being loyal to the big boys.

You'll probably find they are just trading names anyway. There aren't that many actual motor insurers in the UK. If you look at money supermarket for example, select a quote and click on the "More" button you can scroll down and see who the actual underwriter is. Chances are you will be speaking to the same call handlers in the same offices, just reading a different script...

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2024, 16:37:23 »

Same here, I prefer to stick with known companies, Why though I’ll never know, as there’s no benefit to loyalty.  ::)
My wife’s renewal has just come through and it has jumped up by around £150. I went on compare the market, filled out the relevant information and the same company **(Churchill)** was in the list at around last years renewal price so I phoned them up this morning and they price matched.  :y  Can’t grumble about that can I.

You have to be careful as some companies also list ‘Essentials’, which is lower cover than the standard policy.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2024, 16:41:55 »

………….
Dirty Harry would have caught them and then strung the little bastards up by their happy sacks.. ::)......but I imagine modern coppers spent their time learning pronouns while listing all 173 genders during a 'diversity and inclusion' course.

If you’re IN trouble, phone a friend.
If you WANT trouble, phone the police.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.