Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Leave" campaign  (Read 44279 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
The "Leave" campaign
« on: 31 May 2016, 19:35:29 »

This evening there was a "Political Broadcast" for the Vote Out lot.

I'm not making any representations here for or against either "in" or "Out", but this advert was so incomprehensible that I would say that it probably convinced more people to vote "In". What is it with publicity people that they feel that being " creative" or whatever achieves some real purpose. Barmy   ???
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
Re: The "Leave" campaign
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 20:01:24 »

Haven't had chance to watch yet but as an outer i do find it strange that UKIP and Farage with the most MEPs and passion are being kept very quiet,all very strange its a few Conservatives against the rest.Perhaps its all a farce as the outers are Conservatives using the UKIP line,we could be being conned!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 20:08:27 »

Just remember, if the majority to leave is not large, enough 'dave' will make it so we stay in by far or foul, this is his making a name for him self in history, so be ready, for a 're-count' and the majority isn't large enough etc-etc, the powers will decide not the public.
Remember 'dave' is in charge not Boris yet!
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 20:41:52 »

Haven't had chance to watch yet but as an outer i do find it strange that UKIP and Farage with the most MEPs and passion are being kept very quiet,all very strange its a few Conservatives against the rest.Perhaps its all a farce as the outers are Conservatives using the UKIP line,we could be being conned!
Consider this then...

The MEPs don't get a say... this is a constitutional issue for the United Kingdom, not Brussels... and on that note, they have very few MPs, so proportionately speaking, they are very poorly represented ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 20:44:16 »

To be honest, it's just the absurd advert I was commenting on.

Started off being a kind of lottery type spoof advert and then went on. Who thinks this cr&p up  ???
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 20:56:58 »

young marketing kids straight out of uni?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2016, 21:22:59 »

Im Beginning to think there is no "Leave campaign" If there is its a poor show there putting on.

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2016, 22:07:05 »

they should let people make up their own minds :y :y :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 22:39:16 »

young marketing kids straight out of uni?

Very likely

More interested in some obscure "message" than fact

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2016, 14:24:13 »

I personally am for leaving, however, that completely aside, the 'leave' broadcast was a complete joke. Tugging on the heart strings about 'we could build a new hospital every week witht hat money' blah blah. Yes, it's a stupid amount of money (though something like 0.3% of the UK's GDP I think) but on the other hand you could argue we should have one less RAF Typhoon... or sack 1/3 of the Navy, etc.. It's no more valid an argument than 'if we kicked out all the gingers that would reduce stress on the NHS by 10%' or whatever.

We spend a shedload of cash on things I don't personally agree with, or like, but that isn't the same as we shouldn't do it. I don't personally like Opera or Musicals, but that doesnt mean all the Operahouses / Theatres should be sold to raise money for building more Car Museums (then again....  ::) :D)

I didn't get a single fact from that broadcast.

However - and now returning to my being 'pro-leave' - it does seem like if we go, it's not this golden ticket of free hospital beds, jobs and free boiled sweeties for all; it would require the British people, en masse, to work, and try. And frankly, we're a nation of importers, now. We want to import our labour, our cars, our clothes, our scheisse-shovellers. We just can't be bothered, but moan about them foreigners taking our jobs....jobs we don't want to to. And that's sad. So very sad.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

ted_one

« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2016, 14:49:11 »

Agreed,bed made....now bloody lie in it ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2016, 16:27:01 »

It does feel a bit like a campaign for moving the Houses of Parliament 6ft to the left. It's there, and frankly, any attempt to change will inevitably cost a shedload, and with potential for very little advantage for doing so.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2016, 18:26:28 »

We know that the headline £360m a week is complete 'dangle berries', and more like a quarter of that.

On the flip side, how much do British businesses make by being in euroland?

If those British business were not making that extra by being in the EU, we'd be spending a shit load more covering the loss in taxes and the higher unemployment.

Given that we'll most likely be financially worse off (both personally and as a nation, though the 2 are loosely linked anyway), the immigration argument is invalid (as it makes no difference whether we are in or out), and this £360m per week is poppycock, it seems that Leave are running out of options.

So I think my mind is now made up :)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2016, 18:34:56 »

If the leve group can guarantee that the figure they are quoting gets put into hospitals (and staff), armed forces and frontline services then it would be a viable argument. But as it wouldn't be that much (in fact it would be a net loss) or used in that way, then it's pointless.

TBH, neither argument has been overly convincing and has just skirted around the headlines!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2016, 18:55:19 »

TBH, neither argument has been overly convincing and has just skirted around the headlines!
I wonder how much has been properly said, compared to the drivel the media forward on to us.

But in my heart of hearts, we know the politicians are going for soundbite politics as it proved successful for New Labour, rather than saying anything remotely useful.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.