Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunroof corrosion  (Read 1778 times)

miggy

Re: Sunroof corrosion
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2008, 19:12:23 »

Got the same on mine, the black paint around the glass frame (outer) is starting to flake off..........I asked Vx the general question a few months ago, they said they would have no problem sorting it for me under the perforation warrenty......trouble is i aint been back, I touched it up myself as it was not corrosion.just flaking paint.....it looks good now.....would not know it had been touched up.

What sort of paint did you use? I was thinking 'smoothrite' as it would adhere to the metal?

Spot on mate.............it matched well...I also thought about using the airfix model paint..the stuff that model metal soldiers are painted with, it needs to be a matt finish also.  

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2008, 19:18:18 »

Got the same on mine, the black paint around the glass frame (outer) is starting to flake off..........I asked Vx the general question a few months ago, they said they would have no problem sorting it for me under the perforation warrenty......trouble is i aint been back, I touched it up myself as it was not corrosion.just flaking paint.....it looks good now.....would not know it had been touched up.

What sort of paint did you use? I was thinking 'smoothrite' as it would adhere to the metal?

Spot on mate.............it matched well...I also thought about using the airfix model paint..the stuff that model metal soldiers are painted with, it needs to be a matt finish also.  

That'll be another job for tomorrow then.... if it stops raining!

Cheers

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2008, 21:03:18 »

I took the car to the Vauxhall bodyshop this morning.   They took photographs and made notes of the corrosion on the sunroof frame plus a couple of bubbles that are forming at the bottom of the drivers door and a small amount of rust that is just visible under the plastic surround for the rear screen wiper arm.  They said that they would contact Vauxhall and let me know the outcome, so now I just have to wait.  The rust bubbles are just as bad as the ones on my old 2.0 GLS estate which was 6 years old and just out of warranty when I bought it.  It would appear that the later cars are slightly worse than the older ones for corrosion despite the zinc coating etc.  Still I must say that it certainly drives much better and smoother than the older model plus it has more toys to play with so it's not all bad news after all!  Will let you know what happens next.

miggy

« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2008, 21:06:34 »

I took the car to the Vauxhall bodyshop this morning.   They took photographs and made notes of the corrosion on the sunroof frame plus a couple of bubbles that are forming at the bottom of the drivers door and a small amount of rust that is just visible under the plastic surround for the rear screen wiper arm.  They said that they would contact Vauxhall and let me know the outcome, so now I just have to wait.  The rust bubbles are just as bad as the ones on my old 2.0 GLS estate which was 6 years old and just out of warranty when I bought it.  It would appear that the later cars are slightly worse than the older ones for corrosion despite the zinc coating etc.  Still I must say that it certainly drives much better and smoother than the older model plus it has more toys to play with so it's not all bad news after all!  Will let you know what happens next.

:y :y :y

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2008, 16:28:09 »

Interesting! Our '51 Estate also has the tiniest bubble under that black rear wiper surround. It's where the water runs down when you wash it or it rains. Bizarrely it ALSO has a tiny bit of bubbling about 3 or 4 inches in from the bottom right hand corner of the drivers door (i think!). The paint isn't perforated, it's just a little corrosion under the surface and hasn't got much worse in the last 5 years. I see a pattern emerging though!

Having said that, I don't think they are worse than the old ones. They rust along paint on top of the doors and get rusty arches. Are any colours better/worse than others for rusting???
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.