Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Free, buyer collects  (Read 2896 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Free, buyer collects
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2020, 14:23:37 »

That 747 failed because it only had a single line of rivets instead of two. This allowed fatigue to occur. Corrosion was an late addition to the party and bought on by fatigue.

That bulkhead seam was always going to fail.

Some aircraft only have a shelf life of a maximum of 20 years. The older stuff is less efficient because it weighs more.

We often have a discussion at work regarding Boeings decision to focus on the 737 as it's wonder child... The 757 reengined with LEAP units to replace the venerable RB211 would have offered another 30+ years without any trim issues.  ::)

Thanks for that info :y :y

I never knew about the 20 year shelf life.  Glad I didn't when I used Dan Air in the 1980's that flew old aircraft!! :o :o :o

Is the shelf life and poor maintenance a factor in Aeroflot aircraft crashes that once were seemingly common? ??? ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2020, 18:02:54 »

I remember when the current crop of 757s at Gatwick were new... '97/98, most of the older ones are either at Jet2 or DHL/FedEx etc and all still going strong.

The A319 is only good for about twenty years as they are relatively lightly built, although they're the same size, the landing weight of a 737 is higher than an A320 buy some margin.

Not that the Airbus is a bad aircraft, far from it, just that they took a different approach  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2020, 19:16:33 »

That 747 failed because it only had a single line of rivets instead of two. This allowed fatigue to occur. Corrosion was an late addition to the party and bought on by fatigue.

Some aircraft only have a shelf life of a maximum of 20 years. The older stuff is less efficient because it weighs more.

We often have a discussion at work regarding Boeings decision to focus on the 737 as it's wonder child... The 757 reengined with LEAP units to replace the venerable RB211 would have offered another 30+ years without any trim issues.  ::)

I never knew about the 20 year shelf life.  Glad I didn't when I used Dan Air in the 1980's that flew old aircraft!! :o :o :o

Is the shelf life and poor maintenance a factor in Aeroflot aircraft crashes that once were seemingly common? ??? ???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Dan-Air_Boeing_707_crash.
The FE killed in this was the father of a Captain with BA. At one point not long after this in 1979 or ‘80 I found myself flying an early 707, G-AYSL, commonly known as ‘Spreadlegs’ as everyone had ‘had her’, under the British Airtours name which was leased from Dan-air who leased it from ‘who knows’.
This was back in the day when pax were invited to the flight deck. On one sector we had a plane spotting anorak visit. “Ah yes” sez he, “This was the airframe that Boeing used for all the high altitude stall tests.”
I was never keen on flight deck visitors after that. :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2020, 19:33:00 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Dan-Air_Boeing_707_crash.
The FE killed in this was the father of a Captain with BA. At one point not long after this in 1979 or ‘80 I found myself flying an early 707, G-AYSL, commonly known as ‘Spreadlegs’ as everyone had ‘had her’, under the British Airtours name which was leased from Dan-air who leased it from ‘who knows’.
This was back in the day when pax were invited to the flight deck. On one sector we had a plane spotting anorak visit. “Ah yes” sez he, “This was the airframe that Boeing used for all the high altitude stall tests.”
I was never keen on flight deck visitors after that. :-X

Wow!! :o :o :o

To think our family flew with Dan Air without any knowledge of all that.  Again, thank goodness we didn’t! :P

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2020, 19:37:10 »

We also flew with Dan Dare a couple of times in the early 90,s iirc.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2020, 20:48:52 »

Yeah, because they only two aircraft...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.