Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Luton Airport  (Read 4205 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Luton Airport
« on: 11 October 2023, 09:00:45 »

Just hope no one was hurt as reports have said flames were seen shooting accross the car park and multiple explosions were heard.

"The blaze was triggered by a vehicle fire that spread in Terminal Car Park 2, the airport said" from Google

Watching the news and flicking round the net trying to find out what type of car was the start of the fire. 

EV/PHEV they seem to be the cause of most car fires in the last few years :-\

Or maybe just an electrical issue.

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Luton Airport
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2023, 12:14:08 »

They are saying its a diesel car....mind you, they wouldn't say its an EV as the repercussions would be enormous...
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2023, 12:20:39 »

Initial fire is supposed to be in a Diesel Range Rover Evoque. After that a number of EV's were involved and the fire brigade then fought the fire from a distance.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2023, 14:14:43 »

Yep, news is saying a derv car.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2023, 14:44:05 »

Yep, news is saying a derv car.
Oh dear, JLR electrics.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2023, 16:51:36 »

They are saying its a diesel car....mind you, they wouldn't say its an EV as the repercussions would be enormous...
Agreed
I doubt the general public will see any evidence it was a diesel car to blame  ::) unless someone's CGI-ing it now  :-X
clearly the sprinkler systems didn't do their job  :-X
I'm betting the CCTV footage accidentally got deleted too   >:D
must have been nice and toasty warm with all the EV batteries going into melt down ,
along with the concrete ,which isn't all that combustible without severe provocation    :-X

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2023, 17:03:35 »

Was reading
Agreed
I doubt the general public will see any evidence it was a diesel car to blame  ::) unless someone's CGI-ing it now  :-X
must have been nice and toasty warm with all the EV batteries going into melt down ,
along with the concrete ,which isn't all that combustible without severe provocation    :-X
Agreed
I read somewhere that there were no sprinkler systems in place. As the car park was only built in 2018, how could this be? Unless the regs for open structures doesn't require them.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2023, 17:18:52 »

I read somewhere that there were no sprinkler systems in place. As the car park was only built in 2018, how could this be? Unless the regs for open structures doesn't require them.
I don't build multi story car parks ,so I don't lnow what the "REGS" are  :P

but you'd think  ::) a store area for explosives like petrol, Diesel, LPG and lithium ion BOMBS (EV cars) might want sprinklers   :D

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2023, 17:37:09 »

but you'd think  ::) a store area for explosives like petrol, Diesel, LPG and lithium ion BOMBS (EV cars) might want sprinklers   :D

Sprinklers would be useless for EVs. Although there is no proof yet as to whether a diesel car started the blaze, apparently a number of EV cars were parked there and sprinkers cannot douse a lithium fire. According to the International Association of Fire and Rescue Services, extinguishing a burning Tesla can take as much as 40,000 gallons of water!  :o

A statement by Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service on the subject [pre-Luton] says: “For the fire brigade, the real problem when it comes to an EV fire is with trying to put it out. The services have two main options, let the fire burn out or extinguish it.

“The obvious choice seems to be to extinguish the fire, however many EV manufacturers actually advise for a controlled burn. This is where the fire services allow the vehicle to burn out while they focus on protecting the surrounding area. Once the fire has been successfully put out, the problem for the fire brigade is not over. Electric vehicle fires are known to reignite hours, days or even weeks after the initial event, and they can do so many times.

“Not only does this pose a safety issue, but it also poses a legal issue: recovery firms are increasingly concerned about dealing with electric vehicles. Fire services across the country are working hard to improve their knowledge and understanding of these fires to ensure that they are prepared as we inevitably see more EVs on the roads.”

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2023, 17:44:28 »

Just read how many vehicles were involved. Some might just have paint damage but imagine coming back from holiday to find your car is scrap along with all the miscellaneous stuff we all keep . I also keep a couple of thousand pounds in glove box for emergencies.

Insurance companies will be busy.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2023, 18:01:07 »

Just read how many vehicles were involved. Some might just have paint damage but imagine coming back from holiday to find your car is scrap along with all the miscellaneous stuff we all keep . I also keep a couple of thousand pounds in glove box for emergencies.

Insurance companies will be busy.

Like most sensible people do.  :D

So far in the UK the majority of EV's on the road are from established car manufacturers.  I wonder whether these fires will increase when cheap Chinese models inevitably flood the market?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2023, 18:01:57 »

Sprinklers would be useless for EVs. Although there is no proof yet as to whether a diesel car started the blaze, apparently a number of EV cars were parked there and sprinkers cannot douse a lithium fire. According to the International Association of Fire and Rescue Services, extinguishing a burning Tesla can take as much as 40,000 gallons of water!  :o

A statement by Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service on the subject [pre-Luton] says: “For the fire brigade, the real problem when it comes to an EV fire is with trying to put it out. The services have two main options, let the fire burn out or extinguish it.

“The obvious choice seems to be to extinguish the fire, however many EV manufacturers actually advise for a controlled burn. This is where the fire services allow the vehicle to burn out while they focus on protecting the surrounding area. Once the fire has been successfully put out, the problem for the fire brigade is not over. Electric vehicle fires are known to reignite hours, days or even weeks after the initial event, and they can do so many times.

“Not only does this pose a safety issue, but it also poses a legal issue: recovery firms are increasingly concerned about dealing with electric vehicles. Fire services across the country are working hard to improve their knowledge and understanding of these fires to ensure that they are prepared as we inevitably see more EVs on the roads.”

sprinklers  would have offered fire suppression ,allowing the on site F&R to nip it in the bud  ::)

Especially if the seat WAS a "diesel car"  :-X
and alarms (rate of rise) would have alerted F&R to the problem early  :-\

they charge enough ££££ to park at an airport  ::), you'd think they might have a few measures in place  :P

Insurance companies will be busy. PUTTING ARE RENEWAL PRICES UP
fixed for accuracy  ::)
ONE "emergency" that might pop up is having to replace your window glass ,when someone smashes it and removes the 2 grand  :P

move the money to under your mattress ,like a normal person  :P

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2023, 18:44:19 »

Was on telly a few years ago , think it was the French? fire service that sit EVs in a tank of water for a week to make sure the fire goes out.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2023, 18:51:18 »

So whose insurance will be claimed on? :-X

The owner of the car that started it or the car park for not having sprinklers?

Another thing that got me thinking was the Fire Brigate arriving.?  Being a major airport they would have excellent fire services and better trained to put fuel fires out than the normal service  but with rules & regs would the airport fire service been allowed to get involvlved?
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2023, 18:55:53 »

Evoke Hybrid vehicle
AKA half lithium ion BOMB ,half diesel  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.