Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

ABS Sensor

(1/3) > >>

VXL V6:
C0040-(4) DTC  - Front Right (OSF) ABS Sensor open circuit

ABS & TC lamps illuminate after a couple of miles, DTC as above, spinning the wheel while checking output on diagnostic tool shows sensor is reading pulses, I need to repeat the test when driving and see if it's still working when hot. I have cleaned the plug and socket with Electrical Contact cleaner but connections were already dry and clean and no signs of cable damage / cuts. Dont believe the reluctor ring is rusty / damaged but difficult to see without removing bearing assembly (I've never yet removed a front bearing and seen damage / rust in this area on an Omega)

Has anyone ever had a loom cable failure between sensor plug /socket and ECU? I ask because I note the loom cable runs underneath the airbox and I recently had this removed, wiggling said cable doesn't induce the fault so not sure where issue lies without further poking and prodding!

Doctor Gollum:
Have you checked sensor signal at the abs ecu?

If this compares with the sensor plug test, then the wiring is probably sound. Which leaves the sensor head or the ABS ecu.

The Alabama Mumsybus occasionally throws up an ABS warning... Usually with two codes, one for rear right sensor position and one for contaminated front right reluctor ring.

The first is caused by hairline cracks in the rear sensor caused by a previous person heating out a rear bearing without first stripping the hub.

The second is suspect is caused by lateral wear in the hub as the reluctor ring is sealed within the bearing.

The Omega system is slightly different in that the magnet is on the sensor head rather than within the bearing. As such it is effectively external and prone to collecting ferrous debris.

You should be able to gain enough access to clean the sensor head with the disc off ;)

As for the ABS ecu, a known good V6 unit of similar vintage ought to be good enough to test with :y

TheBoy:
A meter is probably good enough to test the loom, complete with a quick inspection of the exposed bits.

On the Omega, ABS sensor faults I've seen have always been the sensor or the reluctor ring, which on the front is a new hub.  ABS faults with no codes have always been a failed ECU.

456lbft:
Slightly off topic, but does any one know if Carlton ABS light can be similarly diagnosed to find out why the light is constantly illuminated (once a wheel has been turned after start up)?
On some other cars I've seen the light comes and goes as you are driving, but this one is on all the time.

TheBoy:

--- Quote from: 456lbft on 27 April 2022, 08:40:49 ---Slightly off topic, but does any one know if Carlton ABS light can be similarly diagnosed to find out why the light is constantly illuminated (once a wheel has been turned after start up)?
On some other cars I've seen the light comes and goes as you are driving, but this one is on all the time.

--- End quote ---
Pretty certain the Carlton's ABS has a diagnostic line out to the diagnostics port...   ...but as far as I know, only a Tech1/1a (with the Carlton Cartridge and adapter) can read it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version